Sponsored

Built Ford Tough? What a joke! Shocks that rust out...

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, salty roads, right at the end of the warranty...I feel you but you got to chock this one up to the game.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes it is rusty, but poor weld quality or lack of weld is why it broke off this soon. Also regarding rust, being welded then spray painted instead of painted separately then clamped together or mounted remotely is a bean counter deal. It’s cheaper to build them this way, but water gets trapped in between the unpainted surfaces.. . Bilstien builds good shocks, but get the penny pinchers involved and quality always suffers. Both Ford and the shock manufacturer are going to have to step up if this is not an issue of just a few poorly welded examples that snuck through quality control.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand your frustration, completely do. Fault the dealer, service manager or whomever but unfortunately, right or wrong they are following the warranty and policy manual. Ford doesn't cover rust, never has, never will. Below is a blurb from the warranty and policy manual unfortunately. What is unfortunate is you live in a corrosion state and I am sure you more than likely drive in the winter salted roads.

So right or wrong your fight is with Ford (800-392-3673), not the dealer you want to beat up. Take it from me, I know first hand. They are just doing their job. If they replace it they eat it and yes, they eat it at full pop when it gets charged back from Ford which isn't fair either.

Not siding with Ford just stating the ugly fact unfortunately. The dealer hasn't done anything wrong (from what I read).

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover the following:

Underbody surface rust on frame or chassis components on vehicles reported as sold.
Not surface rust. Rust between two assembled parts causing one to be broken off. Design flaw.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Out of curiosity...was this bronco stuck on ice mountain?

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you everyone for the comments...While I do love the Bronco, my issue is not with the car, the growing pains or even the shocks not lasting...my issue has been how Ford and how it has handled the matter...they did not build the shocks, it is a new model and there will be growing pains, which is all ok...

My issue with Ford is the lack of engagement to address the matter...The dealer has a case #, I filed a case #, no responses, after I post, I get a note from Ford "What say you" I sent them all the information requested and here is the response.

I have checked on the case you have had created with our phone team, and according to my resources, it has been determined by our escalation team that there is currently no coverage options available for your concern. The case has been assigned to the Service Manager at your dealership as well so we recommend reaching out to them for more information regarding your case. We recommend that you keep your receipts in case Ford initiates a program in the future based on your situation.

Ford Social Media Team
I promise this isn’t just a Ford thing.

Buying a brand new Lexus is about the only way to get a good warranty experience.

I am not brand loyal and switch brands every single purchase. I’ve had bad experiences with Ford, horrible experiences with VW and Audi, etc.

BMW and Volvo were good. They would replace brakes under warranty and claim they were faulty, not I lived in the city and commuted rush hour every day….

Luxury brands typically have better service and warranty experiences.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

While I love my Bronco, I am shocked by the support or lack of support from Ford. I have one of the 1st Badlands with all the options, the car has never been off road (which is sad). One day, out driving I notice that the car is swaying and bouncing...bring it asap to the dealer, 1st they say it is fine and rotated the tires, I laughed at them and told them to check it again. They come back in 20 minutes and say they have never seen anything like this, one of the shocks rusted and the reservoir fell off. I knew getting one of the 1st Broncos was going to come with some issues and I was sure that Ford would work through them. Clearly not the case, dealer reported it to Ford, they came back and said it was not covered, it was wear and tear and the warranty is only one year or 12K. Not sure who was more shocked me or the dealer???

I filed a case with Ford, uploaded the pictures waiting over 2 weeks and not a word back...clearly Ford could care less about being "Built Ford Tough" or have any interest in consumer relations. Enclosed are some of the pictures (included what a shock should look like as well) of the rusted shock that fell apart....anyone else having this problem...$2,200 later Bronco is back and running great, zero support from Ford.

IMG-4687.JPG
IMG-4688.JPG
IMG-4689.JPG
I had mine rust treated along with the entire underside, frame, rockers etc. I was told those would rust for sure.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

While I love my Bronco, I am shocked by the support or lack of support from Ford. I have one of the 1st Badlands with all the options, the car has never been off road (which is sad). One day, out driving I notice that the car is swaying and bouncing...bring it asap to the dealer, 1st they say it is fine and rotated the tires, I laughed at them and told them to check it again. They come back in 20 minutes and say they have never seen anything like this, one of the shocks rusted and the reservoir fell off. I knew getting one of the 1st Broncos was going to come with some issues and I was sure that Ford would work through them. Clearly not the case, dealer reported it to Ford, they came back and said it was not covered, it was wear and tear and the warranty is only one year or 12K. Not sure who was more shocked me or the dealer???

I filed a case with Ford, uploaded the pictures waiting over 2 weeks and not a word back...clearly Ford could care less about being "Built Ford Tough" or have any interest in consumer relations. Enclosed are some of the pictures (included what a shock should look like as well) of the rusted shock that fell apart....anyone else having this problem...$2,200 later Bronco is back and running great, zero support from Ford.

IMG-4687.JPG
IMG-4688.JPG
IMG-4689.JPG
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...onco-before-after-with-pics-and-videos.33381/

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have seen another Bronco Bilstein reservior somewhere on the internet that rusted and fell off just like the OP’s so this might not be an isolated issue.

I have my Bronco NHOU coated and the extended warranty.

Maybe @Ford should step up and offer a set of HOSS Fox shocks for good will.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rotated my tires today and kept thinking "there's something I want to look at". Never remembered but this thread triggered it, I wanted to look at the shocks. I wonder if you can see the problem before it falls off.

I'm hoping that by typing this out I'll remember to look at it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm starting to get dementia....

lauk101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just found the same issue with mine! I almost lost control on a freeway curve when I hit a bump and the traction control kicked in. I took a look when I got to the garge and sure enough, reservoir was gone! I'm well past my warranty so no help there. I reached out to Bilstein directly last week and haven't heard a word back yet

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine started to show rust pretty early after taking delivery. Did a tire rotation last weekend and I should have took a picture. It looks the same as the pic. Not the broken one but the one with rust and the spreading oil. I can't imagine it's too far until I see the same thing happen.

I'll wait until spring, to get through one more salty winter, to get it fixed through Ford.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just found the same issue with mine! I almost lost control on a freeway curve when I hit a bump and the traction control kicked in. I took a look when I got to the garge and sure enough, reservoir was gone! I'm well past my warranty so no help there. I reached out to Bilstein directly last week and haven't heard a word back yet
That sounds like something worth reporting to NHTSA.

What say you @Ford bot?

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This kind of build is pretty inexcusable but I also can't help but wonder how people can't tell that it has happened until they look under the vehicle. Once a reservoir falls off it would be a very short amount of time before the shock pumps all of the fluid out and you would have no damping whatsoever.
Sponsored