Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all,

I’ve seen it posted in random threads for individuals, but I have a burning oil/unburnt fuel smell after I park the Bronco in the garage after drives.

Vehicle:
2022 2.3L 7MT Badlands with 2500 miles. Built in August 2022, and picked up September 2022.

Mods in engine bay:
Mishimoto Oil catch can (installed ~800mi)
ARB Twin Air Compressor (installed ~2400mi)

I noticed it before installing the catch can. However, my first guess would be the oil catch can since it smells exactly like that oil/gas blow by. I checked the lines and I can’t see any film of oil near the connections or at the can itself. Appears to have collected a couple mL of oil though.

Can’t seem to find any other oil spray or leaks anywhere either. Oil levels look within spec as well and is an “amber” color.

This happens on long or short drives

Any thing else I should be looking for?
Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it more of a burning smell or just hot oil smell? I occasionally get an odor of hot oil from my 2.3 7 speed. I’ve got a Mishimoto catch can on mine as well and just assumed the odor comes from that.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's the catch can vapors. if you can smell it around the window cowl I am 1000% sure that you are smelling oil vapors, especially if your catch can is mounted to the firewall area.

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it more of a burning smell or just hot oil smell? I occasionally get an odor of hot oil from my 2.3 7 speed. I’ve got a Mishimoto catch can on mine as well and just assumed the odor comes from that.
I guess hot oil, but it smells exactly like the insides of the catch can. It permeates the garage. Not sure if I should be concerned because if I can smell it then that means there is a leak.

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the catch can vapors. if you can smell it around the window cowl I am 1000% sure that you are smelling oil vapors, especially if your catch can is mounted to the firewall area.
I kind of smell it everywhere around the engine and not a specific location. It’s a very strong odor of hot oil/inside of the catch can smell so I think it’s that. Just not sure if I should be concerned since it should be a self contained system I would think.

Sponsored

Rabidpug

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2.3L and was having a faint oil smell after some drives as well. I decided to check my oil filter and found it was a little too loose so I tightened it maybe 2/3 a turn and have not had the oil burn smell come back.

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.3L and was having a faint oil smell after some drives as well. I decided to check my oil filter and found it was a little too loose so I tightened it maybe 2/3 a turn and have not had the oil burn smell come back.
I’ll have to check that. Did you reach it from under the vehicle or through the wheel well?

Rabidpug

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll have to check that. Did you reach it from under the vehicle or through the wheel well?
I went through the wheel well, used a ratchet extension and a filter hat, I think the dealership never put it on fully tight when I bought it, haha. Did my own oil change after that and still no oil smell.

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also have a 2.3L 7MT Badlands and occasionally get the oil smell. I do not have a catch can, and at first assumed it was NHOU undercoating burning off, but it’s been nearly 1000 miles since then.

Sponsored
OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went through the wheel well, used a ratchet extension and a filter hat, I think the dealership never put it on fully tight when I bought it, haha. Did my own oil change after that and still no oil smell.
I also have a 2.3L 7MT Badlands and occasionally get the oil smell. I do not have a catch can, and at first assumed it was NHOU undercoating burning off, but it’s been nearly 1000 miles since then.

I just attempted to tighten my oil filter and it seems like it’s on there pretty snug after using my hands and an oil wrench. Not quite sure what could be causing the smell other than the oil catch can. It’s odd @Ibuprofen3293 you don’t have a catch can and smell it.

Could be the clutch burning up?

WoolyBugger

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline / 2dr. Base 7 spd. EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I kind of smell it everywhere around the engine and not a specific location. It’s a very strong odor of hot oil/inside of the catch can smell so I think it’s that. Just not sure if I should be concerned since it should be a self contained system I would think.
I have the same set up as you and have had the smell since installing the Mishimoto catch can. I did notice the other day that my catch can was not completely tight against the O ring. Got it tight now, it seemed to help some but still smell catch can vapors daily just not a strong. Following

Charlesbrown165

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Dr Cosmo Blue
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I started smelling burning oil shortly after picking after taking delivery from dealer. Would come and go. Seemed to be worse when using auto start and the car warming up for 15 minutes or so. After this happening on a few occasions……I popped the hood and low and behold…..the dipstick was NOT snapped all the way in and oil was all over the top of the engine…..everywhere. I snapped it back in…..degreased the engine. Smell GONE. Hasn’t come back. Check your stick! Lol

rtd16

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you ever confirm anything with this or did it stop? I too have an oil smell, particularly at idle or stop and go traffic. I’m assuming it’s the catch can but don’t know if there’s a solution. I checked all the hose connections and the catch can is growled down like an SOB….

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you ever confirm anything with this or did it stop? I too have an oil smell, particularly at idle or stop and go traffic. I’m assuming it’s the catch can but don’t know if there’s a solution. I checked all the hose connections and the catch can is growled down like an SOB….
Nope still smell it after I park in the garage and sitting at stop lights with the HVAC on. I’m coming up on 4500 miles so scheduling an oil change soon and I’ll mention it but doubt they will find anything unless it’s a egregious leak. Haven’t seen anything in the ground or around the engine bay either so not too sure.
Sponsored