First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The solenoid valves are open and the piston (immersed in fluid) is free to move as fluid flushes in and out of the chambers on both sides of the piston
The solenoids failure mode SHOULD be the closed position - similarly if there is a leak the piston will no longer be immersed, and the swaybar would behave as connected.

I'm sure BWI did a simple FMEA and made the failure modes at least point to failing as a connected member.
I read that as the piston being hydrolocked when the sb is in the connected position. Any air would cause it to act disconnected. Solenoids being normally open or normally closed wouldnt really matter...tho I would assume normally closed. Really kind of a cool gizmo. More or less 1/2 of a worm/sector steering gear in the center of a sway bar. Would be very simple to override the computer and unlock it whenever u want!
Sponsored

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think there is also a locking pin involved also actuated by noid. Failure if I recall is to the locked or connected position.
Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information 1600791718656

Me waiting for B&P!!!

In all seriousness, good info, I don't have a strong off-road mechanical background. My only off-road driving is a Hummer Ambulance in combat. I didn't think about the mechanicals just drove it like the beast it was! I am a newby to personal offroad world. We just bought my wife a Rubi, and I am waiting on my Bronco! I like to learn!

Thank you!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great but my concern is long term reliability and durability.

The more parts and complexity a system has the greater the chances of a glitch somewhere along the line.

Remember Murphy’s law.

Also, how would you feel about this feature after your warranty period is over?

I would be more comfortable with it after a few years of real world use.
Since its not an item that will leave me stranded, and a part that can be removed easily, and the vehicle is operable w/out it, I have zero concerns.

Tiburon

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information 1600791718656

Me waiting for B&P!!!

In all seriousness, good info, I don't have a strong off-road mechanical background. My only off-road driving is a Hummer Ambulance in combat. I didn't think about the mechanicals just drove it like the beast it was! I am a newby to personal offroad world. We just bought my wife a Rubi, and I am waiting on my Bronco! I like to learn!

Thank you!
Thank you for your service, Badplaid72.

Robinhood

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Bronco, 2019 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the July 13th announcements below that show the BWI Group is building the Bronco's Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect, thanks to a tip from @Aman in another thread that they were the supplier. Below is some of the information on how the unit functions. This unit is only available on the Badlands and First Edition trims, there has been no information to indicate it will be an a la carte option on any other trims. As a reminder, this is a hydraulic system unlike the Jeep Rubicon's electronic sway bar disconnect system.

What are your thoughts, it seems like some very innovative engineering.

BWI Operational Video

BWI product page

BWI Group Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect announcement 7/13/2020

BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
7/13/2020

2021 Ford Bronco

The available front stabilizer bar disconnect off a unique to the segment design for increased articulation across the vehicle to help you up, over and around large obstacles.

BWI Group

Piston

Stabilizer bar ends are disconnected and free to move on their own.

The solenoid valves are open and the piston (immersed in fluid) is free to move as fluid flushes in and out of the chambers on both sides of the piston.

Full suspension travel is possible. Wheel articulation is not limited by the stabilizer bar.

Stabilizer bar ends are now connected.

Both solenoid valves are closed, preventing fluid flow. The piston is hydraulically locked.

Total suspension roll stiffness is increased and vehicle body roll angle limited while cornering.

BWI Operational Video

I have been saying on a LOT of threads that Ford needs to make this available to ALL Bronco models. I can't be the only one that thinks that.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
So how much would this cost to buy from the parts department at ford? Could the normal sway bar be removed and this be put in its place? Besides a switch and some wires does everything else line up?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So how much would this cost to buy from the parts department at ford? Could the normal sway bar be removed and this be put in its place? Besides a switch and some wires does everything else line up?
Where there’s a will there’s a way.

IMO a manual quick disconnect will be the best answer for those of us without Badlands money

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

alright, could i get this in english now?

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is out of left field, but I’d enjoy adding a anti-roll bar to the rear axle. I like trucks and also sports cars. Since most Bronco driving would be on-road; just having a front bar can lead to pig-like understeer.

We’ll have to see how the handling works in 9 months. Maybe stiffer rear springs will be enough to balance the handling.

RManley

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the post. So like most hydraulic self contained system the point of failure is the seals and contamination (outside debris or internal metal from over extension). I did not see a filter so my suggestion to the forum would be to protect this with body armor if you plan on going off road. It probably isn't an expensive part to replace if you do it yourself (very hard on a trail- if even possible).

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am wondering how it knows when/where to re-lock itself. Must be a sensor to know when the bar is straight again and its ok to close the 2 valves to lock the fluid. Might be using the 2 pressure sensors and it locks when they are equal pressure?
A mechanical disco is spring loaded and re-locks when the key lines up perfectly, and only fits 1 way.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am wondering how it knows when/where to re-lock itself. Must be a sensor to know when the bar is straight again and its ok to close the 2 valves to lock the fluid. Might be using the 2 pressure sensors and it locks when they are equal pressure?
A mechanical disco is spring loaded and re-locks when the key lines up perfectly, and only fits 1 way.
Could work as simply as a park switch on a wiper motor. Switch grounds only in the center position.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

alright, could i get this in english now?
During normal driving the Stabilizer Bar Disconnect acts like a normal solid steel front stabilizer bar.

This is accomplished by the left and right halves being locked together by two solenoid pins.

During operation the solenoids are disengaged allowing the left and right halves to function independently, floating in the rotating hydraulic fluid unit.

(watch the video for the best explanation of this)

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I did not see a filter so my suggestion to the forum would be to protect this with body armor if you plan on going off road.
Heavy Duty Steel Bash Plates are standard on the Badlands and First Edition, the only trims the Stabilizer Bar Disconnect are available on.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It appears simpler than I thought. Really not a benefit for this crowd, but when the Broncos start making it to the junk yards in mass in about 10 years I see this as being a popular part that will go fast. Wire it up with a switch to turn it on or off regardless of speed and run it on something custom built. Engage it only on the street.

Long travel and flexible suspensions tend to have lots of body roll. This looks like something a garage builder can easily adapt to almost any chassis.
Sponsored