Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've now had my OBX for roughly a year and a half and this vehicle has one of the oddest HVAC systems I've ever encountered. I'm very curious if it operates differently based on outside temp.
I keep my temp at about 70F almost year round. During the summer months, 70F blows cold air with A/C turned on. Once the outside temp dips below about 60F, the HVAC blows hot air at 70F internal even with the A/C turned on. During summer, recirculate stays on at all times. During winter, even with A/C turned on, recirculate turns off at about 60 seconds and needs to be turned back on if desired.

I've noticed other quirks as well. What in the world is going on with this crazy HVAC system?
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine (I think?) always blows cold air if I have AC on and the inside temp is warmer than the dial temp. At a certain point (75?) it will start to blow warm air (I guess because "cold" air isn't 75?).

I've been noticing these odd quirks too, so interested what others say.

Nickhick

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xtr, vw passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've now had my OBX for roughly a year and a half and this vehicle has one of the oddest HVAC systems I've ever encountered. I'm very curious if it operates differently based on outside temp.
I keep my temp at about 70F almost year round. During the summer months, 70F blows cold air with A/C turned on. Once the outside temp dips below about 60F, the HVAC blows hot air at 70F internal even with the A/C turned on. During summer, recirculate stays on at all times. During winter, even with A/C turned on, recirculate turns off at about 60 seconds and needs to be turned back on if desired.

I've noticed other quirks as well. What in the world is going on with this crazy HVAC system?
In short, it blows

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there any way to just run the Fan ?
No AC and no heat. Just fresh air from outside ?

Always have the windows, but then lots of extra noise and sometimes window wobbling
Select which vents you want the air to exit from, then deselect the AC button. Fan speed is now controlled manually through the switch.

EilersPark

Black Diamond
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I have noticed the same thing and I thought it was odd. I am really noticing it now that its 80 one day and 45 the next. I am going to get a laser temp gun in there and try to capture this empirically.

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The system will blend hot air with cold air depending on the inside temp to meet your setpoint. If it is set at 70 and it is 80 then it will blow cold only but if it is near the setpoint it may blend hot air to keep it at the desired temp.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Also keep in mind that A/C doesn’t necessarily mean cold air - it means conditioned air which can be warm or cold depending upon the set point and ambient temperature.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The system will blend hot air with cold air depending on the inside temp to meet your setpoint. If it is set at 70 and it is 80 then it will blow cold only but if it is near the setpoint it may blend hot air to keep it at the desired temp.
That makes sense. Unfortunately, the difference between 70F and 68F (for me anyway) during winter months is a choice between the surface of the sun and Antarctica. I'm looking for more of a light Maui breeze. 🤣

Moving Chicane

Badlands
First Name
DP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Germans and an Italian
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our new Bronco doesn't have the same issue, but close, and it is weird!

With the AC On and Recirc. On, the system seems to open to outside airflow (at any temperature inside or outside) when cruising at more than 60mph for a good length of time, or going up grades. As if it's trying to cool something in its own system. I have no idea what is going on, but it works when I need it to, and acts funny at the strangest times. Not a showstopper, just intriguing for now. Who knows.......

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have no idea what you're saying

How do you turn-off the "desired temperature" ?

How do you select vents ?

Which switch is now manual control ?
They mean if you click the button circled in yellow you get an onscreen prompt to choose the vents, then you use the lever circled in blue to adjust fan speed. All of which you probably already knew.

Ford Bronco Can someone explain our HVAC system? IMG_4086

Last edited:

Zulu7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos & Bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They mean if you click the button circles in yellow you get an onscreen prompt to choose the vents, the you use the level circles in blue to adjust fan speed. All of which you probably already knew.

Ford Bronco Can someone explain our HVAC system? IMG_4086

Much thanks. I didn't know any of that

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has decided to complicate even the non auto ventilation system. It randomly will allow outside air to refresh the cabin from what I can tell. Totally annoying especially when it’s cold outside and it blast you with freezing cold air. I drive an umbrella top so air exchange is a non issue. It’s been this way on our 2 Bronco sports, Maverick and my Full size. Only fix is you turn recirc on/off to put it back to where you had it set. I’m sure just AC on/off does the same. Wish it were like old days . AC on, cycles by pressure and a switch. And damper doors for temp controlled by user. It never changed while driving. And no strange looks from passengers going WTF was that.

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Much thanks. I didn't know any of that
You may want to sit outside with your truck, and play with the settings and different functions a bit-I do agree some of them are a bit odd with the HVAC

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Our new Bronco doesn't have the same issue, but close, and it is weird!

With the AC On and Recirc. On, the system seems to open to outside airflow (at any temperature inside or outside) when cruising at more than 60mph for a good length of time, or going up grades. As if it's trying to cool something in its own system. I have no idea what is going on, but it works when I need it to, and acts funny at the strangest times. Not a showstopper, just intriguing for now. Who knows.......
Ford Bronco Can someone explain our HVAC system? IMG_2362
Sponsored