Sponsored

Can Someone Explain Big Bend? (Not trolling)

Luv9rove

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was thinking the base model was more for fleet type orders and would look cheap, even with new wheels.

I like the grill and wheels of the BB and usually hate fiddling with aftermarket stuff. I really wanted at least the mid package. That 2 door model for me was what I liked from the start. I don't need 4. Empty nester. 2 doors reminds me of the classic 60s to early 70s Bronco.

Now if I could just order it in that rumored Everglades Green...
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's two parts -

1. The Base has the lowest price Ford could possibly come up with at the least acceptable profit margins so they could advertise a lower starting price for the brand. No value is better than a base, because you know Ford makes the least amount of money off it.

2. As others said, the premium $ of the Big Bend is to unlock future features and move up the chain, plus the psychological component of not having a "base". They called the "base" for a reason, and thats to get people to NOT want it. Again, given the margins. The base is simply done for advertising...and to appease off-roaders that want to go aftermarket.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I figure the "Big Bend Tax" is actually about $1500 once you account for what you get..

" like a locker, like the mid package. I see there are a couple of actual things that you get: leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights, privacy glass, slightly larger tires and rims. Also a different grill " ...and access to a different interior and paint colors.

And it's really not just a Big Bend Tax, it's the price of admission for anyone going above the Base, BB,BD, OBX , BL WT and FE all pay it.

The Base is a killer deal and the BaseSquatch the best value. But I wanted some things I couldn't get on the Base and didn't want Squatch, so here I am, along with all the buyers of ALL uptrims.

CSRedDragon

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wanted the BB, no Sas, because of the bigger wheels and Mid. Kept the soft top, added the 2.7 and towing. All worked out regardless of cost to upgrade from Base. Got my VIN and was bumped back from June 7 to June 21. I’ll take it!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t give ya an answer. Up in Canada, only a $1500CAD difference.
That's because in Canadian money there was no way to get the Base under CAN$30k so they didn't even try.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
For 5 Grand you get...

Better Color choices and 17" rims.
Two color choices for the interior.
Fog lights
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
Factory Tint on the rear.

Plus the option to add some technology packages I have zero interest in anyway.

Not worth it to me to add $5k in price just to get A51 and Sand interior. I have to think most folks are getting the BB either for better color choices, or because it's the least expensive way to get a 4-door stick shift. (and very few people are buying the 4D 7MT)

Also both the Base and Big Bend come with soft P-rated car tires, so it's not like you are even getting decent tires for your extra money.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wish Ford would yank the touch screen and some of the tech out of the Base and make a "More Basic Base".

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
wanting BB because of the 17" aluminum wheels. Now re-thinking, the price diff from Base, $5k.
I ordered a Base, and the only thing I added was AUX switches.

I figure the soft factory rubber will last about 18-24 months. By that time, we will be able to get a set of cheap 17" take offs on Craigslist from someone what wanted to upgrade from their 17" alloys.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a Base, and the only thing I added was AUX switches.

I figure the soft factory rubber will last about 18-24 months. By that time, we will be able to get a set of cheap 17" take offs on Craigslist from someone what wanted to upgrade from their 17" alloys.
Wow, my post was a long time ago. I ended up ordering a Badlands. Yea seems factory tires don't last as long as you'd think.

The upgrades to a Base are limitless. Should be a fun project!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish Ford would yank the touch screen and some of the tech out of the Base and make a "More Basic Base".
In 2021 an 8in Touchscreen is considered basic. Welcome to the future.

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was thinking the base model was more for fleet type orders and would look cheap, even with new wheels.
As stated prior the base is all about marketing however, there is a legitimate user purpose for the base besides a "poor boy rig" (believe me as a teenage I'd have given my left 🥜 for one). The off-road world is all about modifications, hard core modification, as in replacing axles, transfer case, engines, entire suspension including geometry, etc. The thought is why buy stuff you are just going to take off. For a few years in there they offered a 2wd wrangler and it sold. Taking a new vehicle right off the lot and taking a grinder to it not only happens but is quite normal in some circles.

1936Ford3W

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion, 1956 Ford, 1936 Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had ordered an Outer Banks but didn’t like the interior choices so I started looking at Badlands and Wildtrack. It was getting pricy and there were lots of features I would likely never use. I then looked the other direction at Black Diamond but decided on Big Bend. I like the interior the best and I added things up that I wanted. My Bronco will be my everyday driver and will rarely be off road plus I wanted something with a tad bit of comfort items. I wanted something I could drive couple thousand miles on trips and keep the family appeased. For me it’s the right choice and I can always do some changes later on. Possibly 33s or just change to LT tires is one option. I’m going to drive it as is and figure out as I go. My intention is to drive it a long time, possibly never sell it but if I decide I want to upgrade I have a daughter that already would take it. She might be more excited about it than I am!

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I ordered a Base 4dr and changed to a Big Bend.
Why?

1) I like the wheels and grill.
2) Speedo calibrated for 32" tires
3) Factory tint
4) Cheap 4.27/locker upgrade (that will cost you $2k aftermarket on the base)
5) Fog lights
6) Cactus Gray
7) It's not a Base

Every trim up offers more value per dollar in upgrades. Eventually you have to decide where to stop.

The BB gave me some extras and something that was pretty well equiped stock, and still under $40k.

But honestly, if the Base had the $795 rear locker/4.27 option I'd probably have stayed with it.

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably right on what you said. I saw a Big Bend today. Certainly not specific to Big Bend, but I just loved the open view to the sky:

01555C2B-C055-4C0F-932A-2D5473849596.jpeg

8376BCB5-5396-4EF9-B8DF-1CE6F29FA391.jpeg
Sponsored