Sponsored

Can you only get an aligment at a dealership?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most places that do lifetime alignments are just doing a toe and go. It's a very basic alignment that doesn't really dial in the numbers properly. This is less important on a vehicle like a Bronco, but I don't trust a place like that to handle a good alignment on my Mustang.

JR
On my Jeeps with live axles, all there really is was the toe adjustment. And I typically did that myself with a tape measurer. Never had any issues with tracking or tire wear.

I do wonder how much time and effort is put into alignments sometimes. I assume the Bronco has more settings for alignment than a live axle Jeep?

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are dealing with a place that thinks any kind of sensor is stopping them from moving cam bolts and tie-rod end, find another shop ASAP.

Also there is no "collision sensor" besides the camera in front of the rearview mirror.

There are parking sensors on most, those round thingies in the bumpers. And a radar sensor in the LUX pkg for the adaptive cruise in the middle of the front bumper. The lower trims have a plastic cover and NO sensor, they fake you out for some reason.

OP
OP
Eruptioncamper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch eruption green
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are dealing with a place that thinks any kind of sensor is stopping them from moving cam bolts and tie-rod end, find another shop ASAP.

Also there is no "collision sensor" besides the camera in front of the rearview mirror.

There are parking sensors on most, those round thingies in the bumpers. And a radar sensor in the LUX pkg for the adaptive cruise in the middle of the front bumper. The lower trims have a plastic cover and NO sensor, they fake you out for some reason.
So while I thought this was the case, we have two MY23 Base Broncos that both have cameras in that box.

Found another thread that said they were for collision avoidance but I am unsure. Dealer thought there was some camera to calibrate with the alignment but he was not sure.
Ford Bronco Can you only get an aligment at a dealership? IMG_8346

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Took to firestone for a lifetime alignment special and they could not do it on my 2023 Bronco because the collision avoidance sensors.
1 - Collision avoidance sensor is a camera behind the rear view mirror. Has nothing to do with the bloody alignment.

2 - Screw Firestone. They still owe me a set of tires when they wouldn't warranty, replace, or recall the Wilderness HTs on my 98 Ranger.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eruptioncamper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
1 - Collision avoidance sensor is a camera behind the rear view mirror. Has nothing to do with the bloody alignment.

2 - Screw Firestone. They still owe me a set of tires when they wouldn't warranty, replace, or recall the Wilderness HTs on my 98 Ranger.
Did you like your Ranger? I want a old truck and am thinking ranger or even ford 100

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you like your Ranger? I want a old truck and am thinking ranger or even ford 100
My Son has a Frontier of the same vintage, I liked the Ranger a lot better. Biggest issue I had was the tires only lasting 870 miles (see still mad at Firestone).

Not a huge fan of the 2.5L engine I had. MPG was kind of awful for a 4-banger. If you can find one with the 4.0 V-6 I'd recommend that over the I-4

Honestly the best pickup I ever had was a 69 F-250.

Velacyn

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 subaru forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The most you would have to do is usually recalibrate steering angle sensor and sometimes lane departure. Nothing special an extra 20 minutes on the alignment. Talking hour and half start to finish with major adjustments like camber and caster. I do them everyday on vehicles that come from body shops after they've been whacked in accidents

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You must call around and find a Firestone Dealer who is ignorant of the fact that Ford requires the Collision Avoidance System to be re-calibrated. If they know this, they will not offer or sell a lifetime alignment.
FYI, along with the same lifetime subject, Discount Tire will sell you the Tire Certificates for your new Bronco Tires even though you didn't buy the tires from them. The certificates not only cover Off Road sidewall damage, but also give lifetime tire rotations and balancing.

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I see in your signature you have a base Bronco? Didn't realize the base has collision sensors, was hoping all that jazz was for the higher end versions?
My 2021 Base Bronco has collision sensors. They will go off if I'm coming up on someone about to turn right in front of me and let it get a little bit close when I'm sure they'll be out of the way when I get there. I know that there is a setting to disable the feature, but every time you start the car you have to affirm that you still want it to be off. That is more annoying than the feature.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eruptioncamper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You must call around and find a Firestone Dealer who is ignorant of the fact that Ford requires the Collision Avoidance System to be re-calibrated. If they know this, they will not offer or sell a lifetime alignment.
FYI, along with the same lifetime subject, Discount Tire will sell you the Tire Certificates for your new Bronco Tires even though you didn't buy the tires from them. The certificates not only cover Off Road sidewall damage, but also give lifetime tire rotations and balancing.

This is a great reccomendation, how much did it run you? I also actually did call around yesterday and found a firestone who would do it so thats 2 great reccomendations for any future readers.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my Jeeps with live axles, all there really is was the toe adjustment. And I typically did that myself with a tape measurer. Never had any issues with tracking or tire wear.

I do wonder how much time and effort is put into alignments sometimes. I assume the Bronco has more settings for alignment than a live axle Jeep?
You can adjust caster on SFA jeeps. There is an eccentric in the lower arm mount on the axle. Unless you installed a lift, or were in a minor accident there is usually no reason to adjust it, and the bolt is usually seized anyway...but the adjustment does exist. If camber is off bad you have a bad ball joint, bad wheel bearing, or something bent...which probably shoulda been noticed before aligning it...but not always. Bronco has eccentrics for caster/camber built into the LCA-frame mounting bolts. They work pretty nice, but only give ya enough adjustment for minor lifts, curb hits etc. You can do a pretty legit alignment on a 6g bronco in about the same time it takes to set the toe on a SFA...I'm pretty happy w/it!

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I own a small independent shop. We do alignments, and I have aligned my Bronco several times (lifts, rack swaps, various mods). My machine is not up to date, but I take the specs off Alldata and enter them in the machine manually (or at this point just have them memorized). No problems w/pre-collision system etc. Worst part is the tire size...37s are the largest my old machine can handle...and the sensor still gets blocked sometimes. Newer systems don't have this limitation

20230511_163145.jpg
Is this aliment ok or should I get another one? Thanks.

2023-06-08_16-53-32.png

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you buy that online or you have to go into a store? I just bought 37s from Costco last week.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this aliment ok or should I get another one? Thanks.

Ford Bronco Can you only get an aligment at a dealership? 2023-06-08_16-53-32
Looks good to me...curious the reading on the rear (which he can't do anything about) That must be the tolerance Ford has for it, or the rack wasn't perfectly level. Did you install adjustable rear arms like Rockjocks etc?
Sponsored