Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been on the fence for the last month or so about cancelling my bronco order for a GR86...

A little background, Im in my late 20s very active outdoors type but always owned sports cars. My first car was a 2000 Mazda Miata. I currently drive a Mitsubishi crossover with AWD that does well in the snow and I've taken it off-road but I don't expect it to do anything serious. I would love to explore the local trails in Florida such as swamp areas and beaches.

With the delays and lack of communication we've been getting its difficult to stick out this wait especially without a VIN or any sign of a build date coming soon. Not to mention the latest communication from ford of shipping broncos out without chips.

My build is a Eruption Green 2 door Big bend with the 2.3L Manual transmission and rear locker and tan interior. Kinda like the old green Sahara jeeps. I ordered without a reservation on 1/3/22 and I know MANY have been waiting much much longer than me but Im debating if I should cancel my order and jump ship to a GR86. Not to mention this would also save me about 10 grand...

While they are very different, to me they both fall into the category of "toy" cars. Both with small backseats(I don't have many friends just a dog) and 2 doors. Though the bronco being much taller and can tow. Its also quite a bit thirstier.

Please let me know if you're thinking the same thing or what your thoughts are on switching up from the 2 door to the GR86/BRZ.

Thanks for reading!

IMG_0508.jpg

2022-toyota-gr-86-front-three-quarters-1617596343.jpg
The gr86 is a pretty nice fun car the price donā€™t break the bank either
Sponsored

Srt-cuatro

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went through this a couple of years ago. My decision was between a Colorado ZR2 and a Camaro SS 1LE. I chose the 1LE because I would use its capabilities more on a day to day basis. I would only use the ZR2's capabilities twice a month, maybe.

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went through this a couple of years ago. My decision was between a Colorado ZR2 and a Camaro SS 1LE. I chose the 1LE because I would use its capabilities more on a day to day basis. I would only use the ZR2's capabilities twice a month, maybe.
Oh yea that's very true. I couldn't get off-road very often where I currently live. But I would be taking the roof off every chance I get. Have you received your bronco? Do you plan on keeping your 1LE with the bronco?

I just booked my off-roadeo experience for April in Moab so Ill get to thoroughly test it there.

If anyone has been waiting to get their bronco order approved you might need to call them and check on it. That's what I just did and the guy found it and verified it on the phone with me.

Srt-cuatro

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh yea that's very true. I couldn't get off-road very often where I currently live. But I would be taking the roof off every chance I get. Have you received your bronco? Do you plan on keeping your 1LE with the bronco?

I just booked my off-roadeo experience for April in Moab so Ill get to thoroughly test it there.

If anyone has been waiting to get their bronco order approved you might need to call them and check on it. That's what I just did and the guy found it and verified it on the phone with me.
Moab in the Bronco sounds cool asf. I will be keeping the 1LE and the Bronco will be my wife's. Ours is scheduled to be built 4/4. We will use the Bronco for road trips to the Rockies twice a year and camping in Texas once a month.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a '94 Miata for years - they're phenomenal cars, truly built to be a 'drivers car'. I'm almost 52 years old, and to this date, that was the most fun car I've ever owned (and it was the longest I ever owned one vehicle - 7 years). When the time came to get rid of it, I test drove an FR-S (back in 2012) and was utterly disappointed. It felt sluggish, sloppy in turns and dull in comparison to the Miata. I ended up buying a 2012 Mustang Performance Package with the 3.7 V6 because as much as I wanted to like the FR-S, it felt like a bowl of mashed potatoes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a '94 Miata for years - they're phenomenal cars, truly built to be a 'drivers car'. I'm almost 52 years old, and to this date, that was the most fun car I've ever owned (and it was the longest I ever owned one vehicle - 7 years). When the time came to get rid of it, I test drove an FR-S (back in 2012) and was utterly disappointed. It felt sluggish, sloppy in turns and dull in comparison to the Miata. I ended up buying a 2012 Mustang Performance Package with the 3.7 V6 because as much as I wanted to like the FR-S, it felt like a bowl of mashed potatoes.
That a great point! I'm sure it wouldn't compare to the old Miata top down bliss despite however much power they added to the new version of the GR86. Still I'll keep it in my back pocket for after I participate in the bronco offroadeo in Moab. I have a feeling that will make me more of a bronco fan boy rather than give me clarity to cancel my bronco order for the 86/BRZ.

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Moab in the Bronco sounds cool asf. I will be keeping the 1LE and the Bronco will be my wife's. Ours is scheduled to be built 4/4. We will use the Bronco for road trips to the Rockies twice a year and camping in Texas once a month.
That sounds like a great combo. Wish you the best in your future adventures!

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
haha Ok thanks!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would get the GR86 over the BRZ for 2022 models. I also have been shopping a GR86 for fun, but that is only because I live in public road course land. I already have one track car, but I like having multiple toys.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Id be in your boat if it were me today, so I can relate

id stick with the Bronco, since you cant beat the rag top life, plus the fun continues when the pavement ends

Oilman

Outer Banks
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 outer bank 4door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just bought one for my 19-year-old son and drove it 700 miles to our house in South Carolina and I got a Tell you I was very impressed with it ,My son has been driving a 2004 jeep unlimited for three years and he canā€™t stop talking about the Toyota! But again the two vehicles are apples and oranges to compare.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m in a similar situation but for another upcoming Toyota product. The GR Corolla should be released later this year and checks all the boxes of a manual, fun, 4 door that has tuning potential and more trunk space than my current Fiesta paired to AWD.

Iā€™m hopeful I can get the Corolla this year then weigh the viability of both or keep one or the other. With the likely rarity of the upcoming GR version I doubt itā€™ll lose much value.
Sponsored