Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just seen they got the new 22 expedition on the ford website and there is a timberline edition for it as well looks pretty nice got the 3.5l high output eco boost
Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

https://rivian.com/r1s

Rivian R1S.jpg
I've owned an electric car (volt) for 10 years and it's not as bad as you imagine. Just ask yourself how often within a few hours period do you really drive your gas powered vehicle its full range (to an empty tank)? If not often (for us it's on vacation or weekend getaways) then you will never notice it. On a normal day you have will simply walk out to your EV, unplug it from your home charger, drive it to work, school, store, and back throughout the day; until finally plugging it in when you get home for the evening. Next day, repeat. However during the time you were resting at home, it gets energized back to full range. To be honest, it will actually save you time since you will no longer have to go to a gas station every few days and waste time buying big gulps. Some people actually begin to realize there is an advantage to refueling your car at home while doing nothing...

Now all that goes out the window if you have a charger at work. Many companies offer free charging for their employees. How often did you get a free tank of gas..... Pros and cons to everything right! :)

Seriously I hope that helps. I find most people don't fully think about the advantages it actually gives you so just want to share real world experience.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I considered replacing my Expedition EL with the R1S but an EV like that just wouldn’t suit my needs. Oh an the fact that the R1S is now on hold from Rivian until sometime in the future it is a mute point anyways.

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've owned an electric car (volt) for 10 years and it's not as bad as you imagine. Just ask yourself how often within a few hours period do you really drive your gas powered vehicle its full range (to an empty tank)? If not often (for us it's on vacation or weekend getaways) then you will never notice it. On a normal day you have will simply walk out to your EV, unplug it from your home charger, drive it to work, school, store, and back throughout the day; until finally plugging it in when you get home for the evening. Next day, repeat. However during the time you were resting at home, it gets energized back to full range. To be honest, it will actually save you time since you will no longer have to go to a gas station every few days and waste time buying big gulps. Some people actually begin to realize there is an advantage to refueling your car at home while doing nothing...

Now all that goes out the window if you have a charger at work. Many companies offer free charging for their employees. How often did you get a free tank of gas..... Pros and cons to everything right! :)

Seriously I hope that helps. I find most people don't fully think about the advantages it actually gives you so just want to share real world experience.
For commuting, it sounds great... But if I've got 3 vehicles and it's the "premium" of the lot and the other 2 are a truck and an off roader, I'm not going to be happy that isn't good for trips to California or Colorado. Something we do multiple times a year. To make it work, I have to have something else in the garage that I can take trips in...

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For commuting, it sounds great... But if I've got 3 vehicles and it's the "premium" of the lot and the other 2 are a truck and an off roader, I'm not going to be happy that isn't good for trips to California or Colorado. Something we do multiple times a year. To make it work, I have to have something else in the garage that I can take trips in...
But that's when you use those supercharger stations, which I know nothing about since I have a Volt... I hear the Tesla crowd raving about how easy it is to get a charge in 30 mins. But just like i said pros and cons to both. They are alot cheaper though.

BTW I never could figure out why Volt concept never caught on. The reason why I never had range anxiety in the Volt was because once my battery range was exhausted a generator would come on powered by gas which sustained battery power to continue to propel vehicle electrically. We drove ours half way across country and back a few times using combination of electric and gas. It's basically two cars in one, electric car first then Prius like car second. Oh well. GM didn't market it very good...

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's a video comparing the environmental impact of keeping your old car vs buying a new EV. The cliff notes version is that unless your existing car gets around 40 mpg, you'll almost certainly have less environmental impact buying the EV. Obviously, this is even more favorable to the EV if you're comparing new-vs-new.

Non-Tesla fast chargers are more common than you might think. The EV cannonball run record was set last winter in a Porsche Taycan (which has significantly less range than either Rivian with the 315 mile battery) using all Electrify America fast chargers, commonly found in Walmart parking lots (and other places, of course). Obviously, road tripping in an EV has it's limitations and dead spots, but you can get more places than you might think without drama.

https://insideevs.com/news/464763/porsche-taycan-beats-electric-cross-country-cannonball-record/

There is also a 2 hour video of the trip on youtube. It took about 45 hours. By comparison, the regular Cannonball record was just under 26 hours on empty roads during Covid shutdowns with an average speed of 110 mph.

On the Motor Trend trip, they said there basically were no real range problems. They were traveling about 200 miles per day and only once had a real range scare, with one other "top off" charge. Otherwise, they just plugged into level 2 chargers overnight at their hotels. They have no yet released the videos on the western legs where they did not overnight at hotels.

The big asterick to that trip is that it was essentially a Rivian planned press event, so you can take it with a grain of salt. But my basic takeaway so far is that most off road trips that don't require jerrycans probably won't be a problem in a Rivian.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im still out on the EV idea though. They claim so much but you cant get away from charging concerns/anxiety, especially when you start talking about towing. My worst fear is overlanding and not having a way to charge right now.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

holy mother of god
and unlike gas, which can be stored in jerry cans in the unlikely event of an outage (depending on area), theres no way that im aware of save gas powered generators to charge an EV when said outages occur

Sponsored

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just passed this Rivian in Ann Arbor MI.

4C89AEF1-2F0F-4413-9D99-037B93E156CF.jpeg

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

ShroederK

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
The TFL video on the Wrangler 4xe was very interesting. They were able to climb about 2 miles of trail in all-electric mode on a full charge before they exhausted the battery. Does the Rivian have way more capacity? Because I’m having a hard time seeing how an all-electric vehicle is a viable off-roader given the performance of the 4xe.
The 4xe is a different animal. It’s barely an ev with around 20 miles of range unless you live 10-20 miles from work and they have a charging station. It’s a hybrid with a half-assed ev mode

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 4xe is a different animal. It’s barely an ev with around 20 miles of range unless you live 10-20 miles from work and they have a charging station. It’s a hybrid with a half-assed ev mode
yeah, i subsequently read Motortrend’s report on their cross country off road trip with the R1T. Super impressive.

Balthezor

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool truck. Just can't understand why they thought the Miss Piggy front end looked great. Once you see it, you can't unsee.

Oink Oink

Ford Bronco Thinking about ordering a Rivian R1S... waNN044O
Sponsored