Thinking about ordering a Rivian R1S...

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

https://rivian.com/r1s

Ford Bronco Thinking about ordering a Rivian R1S... Rivian R1S
Sponsored

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AT least that EV looks more like a normal new vehicle and not some ridiculous cyberpunk concept.

Im still out on the EV idea though. They claim so much but you cant get away from charging concerns/anxiety, especially when you start talking about towing. My worst fear is overlanding and not having a way to charge right now.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have one reserved, you think the Bronco wait is long, this vehicle won't be ready till late 2023 at best. They will push some of the trucks out late 22. Pretty sure I'm not going to convert this reservation, but maybe by 23/24 I'll need to replace my Explorer

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I LOVE the Rivian interior. I am not blown away by the exterior, vastly prefer the Bronco for example, but I agree with Palley6 that at least its not a cyberpunk concept art piece.

I am curious to see the offroad performance, the traction control of 4 wheel motor electric powertrain is remarkable, but I don't know how capable the chassis is. I will lend more credence to IFS and even IRS than some of the other hardcore fans here, but I know that its very hard to squeeze out big tire package and big wheel travel while remaining "OE" practical.

We shall see. I wont hold my breath though, and I certainly wont be trading my Bronco for it.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AT least that EV looks more like a normal new vehicle and not some ridiculous cyberpunk concept.

Im still out on the EV idea though. They claim so much but you cant get away from charging concerns/anxiety, especially when you start talking about towing. My worst fear is overlanding and not having a way to charge right now.
Rivian has an answer for that, well if you believe them.

Discover
Travel far and wide.
Receive unlimited charging at no cost on the Rivian Adventure Network and at all Rivian Waypoints chargers across the country, coming online this year. For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rivian has an answer for that, well if you believe them.

Discover
Travel far and wide.
Receive unlimited charging at no cost on the Rivian Adventure Network and at all Rivian Waypoints chargers across the country, coming online this year. For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range.
Empty promises from a company that hasnt delivered yet. Also kind of defeats the purpose to a degree of overlanding, when you can be tracked the entire time.

When the Lightning was announced it occurred to me what PITA it will be when towing and in need of charging away from home. You either block others with the current infrastructure/charging stations or get blocked lol. There is clear advantage in some aspects but I dont think its a one size fits all solution.

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

The charging concerns are the number 1 issue for me as well.

I'm not a complete vehicle nut, but do have 5 vehicles now in a household of 2... And it's actually down since I sold my Miata last year. So it's not to replace the Bronco or the Jeep, just maybe a little more luxury along with still being able to do "stuff".

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The charging concerns are the number 1 issue for me as well.

I'm not a complete vehicle nut, but do have 5 vehicles now in a household of 2... And it's actually down since I sold my Miata last year. So it's not to replace the Bronco or the Jeep, just maybe a little more luxury along with still being able to do "stuff".
Then dude this would be a really exciting venture, no doubt about it. That pickup truck looks freaking cool, if its an occasional off-roader the advantages with electric torque would be insane. I'm sure it will be $$$$$$ but if its within your price range it would be a sweet purchase.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have one reserved, you think the Bronco wait is long, this vehicle won't be ready till late 2023 at best. They will push some of the trucks out late 22. Pretty sure I'm not going to convert this reservation, but maybe by 23/24 I'll need to replace my Explorer
I'm curious how this plays out... There have been delays, but the trucks are coming off the line now and expecting delivery as early as next month. The R1S launch Editions in January. I would think that new orders would be around Q3 at the latest...

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Then dude this would be a really exciting venture, no doubt about it. That pickup truck looks freaking cool, if its an occasional off-roader the advantages with electric torque would be insane. I'm sure it will be $$$$$$ but if its within your price range it would be a sweet purchase.
It's about $80k loaded up.... So it's not cheap, but less than a lot of other things out there. But i'm hung up on the charging. Not sure I can get over it. Appreciate the input.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious how this plays out... There have been delays, but the trucks are coming off the line now and expecting delivery as early as next month. The R1S launch Editions in January. I would think that new orders would be around Q3 at the latest...
I am curious also. There is only about a 5% chance I will keep this reservation, wanting to compare who has the better waiting swag! LOL It will also depend on what tax credits/cash incentives the idiots in Washington throw at EV purchases.

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

https://rivian.com/r1s

Ford Bronco Thinking about ordering a Rivian R1S... Rivian R1S

So, you're just really into waiting a long time for your vehicles huh? They announced a couple weeks ago this vehicles production was delayed indefinitely.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you watched Long Way Up? It was interesting to see the Rivians in action but the biggest take way I got from that is that EV batteries still aren't there yet. Cold MASSIVELY affected both the Rivians and the bikes, and charging off grid (and even on grid when it was weak grids) was a mess for them. Rivian put their charging solution all along the route from the tip of South America to LA, so their charging system isnt exactly an empty promise.

All in all, i think i will stick with a jerry can for anything remotely close to off road until EV batteries and charging hits the next big advance.
Sponsored