First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

https://rivian.com/r1s

Rivian R1S.jpg
I have read where Rivian are placing charge stations at trail heads and other off road destinations to provide top off before hitting the trails I like the idea of a BEV off roader but just a little concerned about range when off road

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
do not buy cars with lithium batteries in them

wait for solid state tech that is coming in 2-3 years

a lithium fire burns hotter than the melting point of titanium and is nearly instant. You dont have time to get out of the car.

there is a video floating around of a tesla burning people alive in the car 1 second after it hit a curb and into a tree.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't get past the outside looks, not as terrible as that cyber truck thing, but still, not my thing. Otherwise a very interesting vehicle, they're here to stay and will only get better, battery tech has a couple very interesting innovations in the pipelines too.

Can you go overlanding with this? Not very far, not what these are made for. But a day on the trails should work just fine I think. The instant torque and power sure are neat.

I sure would like to test drive one. I have a reservation for the F150 Lightning in, not sure if I'll convert though, we'll see once that B&P is out.

I plan to keep my Bronco for a long time, not a fan of buying cars, but if they come out with a good hybrid option I might switch eventually, but not in the first year. But the idea of never having to gas up for my daily driving is certainly interesting.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

Ford Bronco Thinking about ordering a Rivian R1S... 84AACECD-6DC3-44B7-B109-4D1855FD04A7
I think it looks awsome but to expensive for me to afford really like the Forrest green color

Groundhog

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '21 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bingo. That was the easiest call in a while. The concept that somehow adding solar power has a net negative effect...lol.

Yes solar isn't great for 100% of situations. And a BEV vehicle is a terrible choice for towing. It doesn't make them bad solutions though.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have read where Rivian are placing charge stations at trail heads and other off road destinations to provide top off before hitting the trails I like the idea of a BEV off roader but just a little concerned about range when off road
How is that possible if the trailhead is not near any line power?

Likely Rivian will do that near the most popular and heavily-used trails but I wouldnā€™t think much will be available up here in Canadia.

Also, if you and 5 other Rivian owners go together and thereā€™s one or two charge ports, how long will the top-up take?
Bingo. That was the easiest call in a while. The concept that somehow adding solar power has a net negative effect...lol.

Yes solar isn't great for 100% of situations. And a BEV vehicle is a terrible choice for towing. It doesn't make them bad solutions though.
Iā€™m not working in oil and gas right now, and Iā€™ve spent almost as much of my career working on environmental solutions as I have extracting and refining fossil fuels. To each their own, but I have shared my thoughts on BEVs and whether or not they are ā€œgreenā€.

If youā€™re interested I can send you some high-level analysis on the true cost of the so-called GND and what impact that will have on the planet. You need land - lots of land - and lots of mined metals to build an electrical system using wind, solar, and battery storage. You need to consider energy density and the need for near 100% availability to avoid blackouts, and intermittents do not fare well in either of these critical categories.

Time will prove one way or the other, at any rate.

Enjoy whatever you choose to drive!

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nah..plug -in electric isnā€™t going to explode because there arenā€™t enough power plants (coal, solar, nuclear) etc to power them.

the future is here and looks like a Couple auto manufacturers are looking to buy this company out.

its laser light activated hydrogen power..basically its hydrogen that is put on a CD and activated via a laser to produce electricity. its super safe, there are no hydrogen tanks and you can carry your fuel with you or recycle the cdā€™s in 5 min.

pretty cool technology ...

https://plasmakinetics.com/about-us

https://plasmakinetics.com/

Rivian R1S.jpg

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How is that possible if the trailhead is not near any line power?

Likely Rivian will do that near the most popular and heavily-used trails but I wouldnā€™t think much will be available up here in Canadia.

Also, if you and 5 other Rivian owners go together and thereā€™s one or two charge ports, how long will the top-up take?

Iā€™m not working in oil and gas right now, and Iā€™ve spent almost as much of my career working on environmental solutions as I have extracting and refining fossil fuels. To each their own, but I have shared my thoughts on BEVs and whether or not they are ā€œgreenā€.

If youā€™re interested I can send you some high-level analysis on the true cost of the so-called GND and what impact that will have on the planet. You need land - lots of land - and lots of mined metals to build an electrical system using wind, solar, and battery storage. You need to consider energy density and the need for near 100% availability to avoid blackouts, and intermittents do not fare well in either of these critical categories.

Time will prove one way or the other, at any rate.

Enjoy whatever you choose to drive!
lol you sound like you are just being contrarian about this you should relax and be positive and believe in the future technology is advancing rapidly and there are people who are literally changing the world, today, for the better

choose to be positive my guy

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
lol you sound like you are just being contrarian about this you should relax and be positive and believe in the future technology is advancing rapidly and there are people who are literally changing the world, today, for the better

choose to be positive my guy
Iā€™m an engineer whoā€™s trained to analyse, evaluate and calculate risk. I am very positive with things that make sense, less so when they donā€™t. As I said, letā€™s check back on this topic in 5 and 10 yearsā€™ time and see how the conversation goes. The electricity crisis unfolding in England and Germany as we speak was predicted to happen by engineers like me at least 10 years ago. Unlike models, real-word physical constraints are what they are.

Anyway, Iā€™m going to enjoy the hell out of my Bronco, and Iā€˜ll sign off on this topic. As I said earlier, enjoy what you choose to drive! šŸ˜€

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Iā€™m an engineer whoā€™s trained to analyse, evaluate and calculate risk. I am very positive with things that make sense, less so when they donā€™t. As I said, letā€™s check back on this topic in 5 and 10 yearsā€™ time and see how the conversation goes. The electricity crisis unfolding in England and Germany as we speak was predicted to happen by engineers like me at least 10 years ago. Unlike models, real-word physical constraints are what they are.

Anyway, Iā€™m going to enjoy the hell out of my Bronco, and Iā€˜ll sign off on this topic. As I said earlier, enjoy what you choose to drive! šŸ˜€
ok ok you get the last word lol
Sponsored