Sponsored

Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland...

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like those ugly things are going on some type of deals to move them. This popped up on a jeep dealer website.

Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... rttt.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed that, that means they're clearing stock before the update.

We're waiting on one with a few specific features, so I'm hoping it'll happen in the next month or so. We drove one that was almost to spec and both really liked it, it was a lot better than what was expected, but it's been tough to find the right options combo. I thought about a Rubicon/Mojave with a swap to the Overland suspension, they are more common and robust, but that's for height reasons and overall a pretty silly idea. Probably.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah they just did a significant refresh on the Wrangler. I wonder if the gladiator is coming.

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assume it is, I've seen 1-2 new 2023s for like $8k off MSRP, we want a Snazzberry with Selec-Trac, the Safety group, and a few other specifics, but those will all be '22s.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a fairly loaded Gladiator with the Mojave trim. If you're dead-set on getting a truck you can take the doors/top off of, then it's a great (really your only) choice. Otherwise, most of the other newer mid-sized trucks would be a better choice. You pay a premium in price just for that novelty.

It tows less than other trucks in the class.
Handling is Jeep-like...not quite as steady as the Bronco.
8.4" screen is OK, but it's missing wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Alpine speakers are pretty weak...even the B&O system in the Bronco seemed better.
I don't have the Advanced Safety group, but the regular one works well enough.
The standard V6 is rather gutless at lower RPMs.
LED lights package is almost essential as the standard halogens on the Jeep aren't that bright.

I don't hate the Gladiator, but I got it before I knew my Bronco would be built. Now that I have a fun vehicle to drive without the doors/top, I don't see a reason to keep the Gladiator. I'm actually trying to sell it,and will be replacing it with a different mid-sized truck in the future.
I myself have owned two Gladiator rubicons both had a tow rating of 7385 lbs the sport S with max tow has a tow rating of 7650 and has the wide rubicon axles minus the lockers with 4.10 gearing so not sure where you are getting your tow ratings from. The stereo system in my Gladiators were much better than my Bronco. Yes my Bronco has more power but I didn't feel as though the Gldiator was gutless but then I also realize which apparently most don't is neither of these are race vehicles . If you are a tall person the the Bronco has more head and legroom than the Gladiator, but then again it is also more roomy than any midsize pickup option. My nieces husband actually said my gladiator felt just as roomy as his 2019 Ranger XLT. If Jeep decides to put there inline turbo 6 in a Gladiator I will go back to jeep

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is how the idea started…..
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... rttt.JPG

And this is what AEV and Jeep teased us with over many years…..

Do you really think a 2023 Gladiator really lives up to the legacy and all the promises?

Only for the bean counters and corporate sycophants
Cool photos but they’d sell about 12 per year in a 2dr format.

The gladiator more than anything else in the doors off segment, needs to be lifted with a big ass tire setup to avoid looking absolutely gutless.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool photos but they’d sell about 12 per year in a 2dr format.

The gladiator more than anything else in the doors off segment, needs to be lifted with a big ass tire setup to avoid looking absolutely gutless.
Agreed...a stock JT looks so funny...but as soon as you put on 35+ and a bitnof a lift, it drastically chamges the appearance.

Sometimes I think I should have bought a Gladiator instead on my Bronco but time will tell.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I assume it is, I've seen 1-2 new 2023s for like $8k off MSRP, we want a Snazzberry with Selec-Trac, the Safety group, and a few other specifics, but those will all be '22s.
I Have a snazzle HA and love the color..

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, after much searching we ended up finding one, and bought it last week! I've only driven it once (so twice, with the test drive), and I have to say I really like it, the smooth steering and stability are notable. Its the auto with a Command-Trac part-time transfer case, it has the nice tech stuff, and I'm completely jealous of the gauge cluster. I really like it, and am happy its different but also more street-oriented than my Badlands, I think they're a really good vehicle combo.

I couldn't find an Overland with Selec-Trac in Snazz with the options we wanted for anything, so the transfer case was the compromise. I'm not sure why the Selec-Trac is so uncommon, it adds AWD to the transfer case and costs like $895 as an option, is there really that much doubt about the ability of AWD to handle power? I've looked into what the Selec-Trac swap entails, and might make that the only real upgrade that'll get done, it seems like getting the correct parts and harnesses are key.

It did come with the Trac-Lok LSD, and since it'll keep the stock 31" tire size it shouldn't be a problem. If it does crap out I'll go with a gear-based LSD or a locker, but it sounds like the bad rep is due to bigger tires and hard driving. Otherwise, I want to get a hard bedcover ASAP, some small mudflaps, and maybe a couple other mods before the end of the year. Tires are also going to be part of the equation, and I'm really torn on what to get.

I'll post pics soon, its been a busy week and I haven't had a good chance.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, after much searching we ended up finding one, and bought it last week! I've only driven it once (so twice, with the test drive), and I have to say I really like it, the smooth steering and stability are notable. Its the auto with a Command-Trac part-time transfer case, it has the nice tech stuff, and I'm completely jealous of the gauge cluster. I really like it, and am happy its different but also more street-oriented than my Badlands, I think they're a really good vehicle combo.

I couldn't find an Overland with Selec-Trac in Snazz with the options we wanted for anything, so the transfer case was the compromise. I'm not sure why the Selec-Trac is so uncommon, it adds AWD to the transfer case and costs like $895 as an option, is there really that much doubt about the ability of AWD to handle power? I've looked into what the Selec-Trac swap entails, and might make that the only real upgrade that'll get done, it seems like getting the correct parts and harnesses are key.

It did come with the Trac-Lok LSD, and since it'll keep the stock 31" tire size it shouldn't be a problem. If it does crap out I'll go with a gear-based LSD or a locker, but it sounds like the bad rep is due to bigger tires and hard driving. Otherwise, I want to get a hard bedcover ASAP, some small mudflaps, and maybe a couple other mods before the end of the year. Tires are also going to be part of the equation, and I'm really torn on what to get.

I'll post pics soon, its been a busy week and I haven't had a good chance.

One thing I found out when I was researching the full-time four-wheel drive was that Jeep replaces the front axle u-joints with front axle CV joints.

To me it was worth the trade off, but that might explain why some people don't do it. They probably think U joints are stronger.

Sponsored

Antimatter06

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 6-speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Each serves its purpose. Gladiator is a manual transmission, soon to get re geared to 4.88’s & have a Centerforce clutch put in. Will make my smiles bigger while driving. Just got the Bronco 2 weeks ago after a 2 1/2 year wait. Mostly driven by my girl, so got the auto transmission.

IMG_4638.jpeg

UnderTheSea

Badlands
First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We had a Mojave with a manual transmission. We traded it in after the recent recall, there's no fix for it, as it's a design flaw. We noticed our clutch started to smell and shortly after this recall came in the mail.

"2020 through 2023 model years with manual transmissions because a problem with the clutch pressure plate could cause a fire."

Apparently, they knew about this problem since 2019.

We traded it and got a F-150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does it degrade and cause friction/heat? Does the clutch material itself become flammable? What the hell?!

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All manual Gladiators have a stop sale from Stellantis. I was 9/10 from buying a new Mojave two weeks ago, $6,000 off, but decided to order a Bronco, now Ford is on strike, yippee!

Ford needs to offer a new trim level: Delay.
Sponsored