Sponsored

Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland...

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have had a 2019 Jeep Renegade since new, and its been my wife's car, but also the roadtrip/go-to car. She's getting bored with it, and mentioned last week how much she keeps noticing Gladiators. This is news to me, since she didn't like the idea of me getting one last fall, but she loves the spec of the Overland model and wants to find one pretty bad. We're looking for a 2021/22 with low miles, and I know they're trying to clear some stock, so any dealer-specific tips for a deal would be appreciated.

I looked this past weekend and here and there this week, but it seems like its mostly about hitting the right price/features/mileage intersection, since its easy to get something at $48k or $38k, but the kit and mileage can be vastly different. There isn't a big rush, so its really about hitting that deal window with the color, and I LOVE the saddle interior. Does anyone own a Gladiator Overland, or really any trim with some of the better tech (LEDs, safety/adv. safety, 8.4 Premium+Alpine, etc)?

Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... 1687467660965
Sponsored

dinosaurkun

Badlands
First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR BL 7sp MT in HPR, Mojave in HBP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a fairly loaded Gladiator with the Mojave trim. If you're dead-set on getting a truck you can take the doors/top off of, then it's a great (really your only) choice. Otherwise, most of the other newer mid-sized trucks would be a better choice. You pay a premium in price just for that novelty.

It tows less than other trucks in the class.
Handling is Jeep-like...not quite as steady as the Bronco.
8.4" screen is OK, but it's missing wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Alpine speakers are pretty weak...even the B&O system in the Bronco seemed better.
I don't have the Advanced Safety group, but the regular one works well enough.
The standard V6 is rather gutless at lower RPMs.
LED lights package is almost essential as the standard halogens on the Jeep aren't that bright.

I don't hate the Gladiator, but I got it before I knew my Bronco would be built. Now that I have a fun vehicle to drive without the doors/top, I don't see a reason to keep the Gladiator. I'm actually trying to sell it, and will be replacing it with a different mid-sized truck in the future.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a HA 21 gladdy pretty loaded, 2.5 inch jeep lift and some 392 take off wheels and tires, yes missing wireless but bought a plug in adapter and has worked great, hidden in center arm rest, as other people said not the best truck in the world but i bought it waiting for my BB 2 DR and ended up keeping it and have both now, engine is not great but again fine for me even with the 19 ish mpg, if i were to choose again maybe id go new Colorado's zr2 route but it is fun with such a big diff between the glady and my bronco

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^I mentioned a Ranger, Maverick, GMC Canyon, etc., its mostly about what it is.

@RagnarKon Yeah, mine is the "tuff" vehicle, she went with a Limited over the Trailhawk when we got the Renegade so same thinking, the Overland is basically the Gladiator's Outer Banks trim anyway. I've shown her the Rubicon and Mojave but both are probably a bit too tall, the real issue is just finding time for us to actually check some out. Let's be honest, I could throw a locking or limited-slip in the rear for really cheap, heck I could probably just use the factory parts, so that's a non-factor.

Sponsored

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gladiators? Um, No but I’m sure some Jeep Owners may ask you……

Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... BED65DFC-010C-4C16-ACF5-D84DDA5EA22A

Last edited:

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gladiator can be had with a stick shift. That's it's best feature. If the Wife wants an automatic, I'd rather have a Ranger Tremor, or even a (God help me) Chevy.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Gladiator just looks weird. Like the proportions are all funky or something. It is not because it is a 4 door, because that is the only way I would buy one even if it was offered with the inferior 2 doors. I really liked the looks of the Brute, especially on the TJ platform.

That said I have know or known three guys that have owned them. They all got rid of them within 2 years. And did not replace them with another. Two went full sized truck and I believe the other got a JLU or a JKU. I know know the guys very well, just more of a passing acquaintance you see that are friends with people you know. I know one of them was a lease so it may have just been the end of the term, I am not sure. It seems people don't keep them very long. 🤷

If you are looking for a midsized truck the GM offerings are better quality. The Ranger is better looking. The imports are more reliable. The Maverick for a minitruck seems to be pretty quality, but you need the gasser only for AWD. No hybrid and AWD, which is such a waste.

Salt Shaker

Badlands
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 15 Jeep GC, 15 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We looked hard at the Gladiators, particularly the Rubis and Mojaves, wife really liked them but just not comfortable on a road trip for us. The local dealers all tried to gig us with a $3700 evic tracking device...lol

I priced one out building and it came out quite a bit cheaper using the tread lightly program.

We decided to order a Bronco.

Sponsored

hpgraham

Raptor
First Name
Hardy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a loaded out 2021 Gladiator Rubicon that I love but, I would not love it as my daily driver. If you are taking it offroad, it does a fantastic job in mud and on trails, I don't do rock crawling. I use mine for hunting and the ability to put my deer in the bed versus inside the vehicle is a big win. If I were to get another one now, I would look into the diesel version, the standard V-6 isn't the most powerful. I use my Bronco Raptor as my everyday vehicle, and I am fortunate to have a Ram TRX for when I need to have a full-size truck.

Chief Ron

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I owned a 2020 JT. One time f the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever owned. Drove to Colorado from Alabama…. Got home and traded it shortly after that. It was very capable off road and i had the max tow pkg so i could drag my 20’ trailer and JD 3032e with no issues. If ur young and dont mind body aches after a short trip then its fine. But it f u need comfort and capability, it’s not for you. IMO. 🐎

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is how the idea started…..
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... 03411C99-7BE6-4F04-BFE5-4EDA506A366E
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... C89E0068-740F-4BCC-AFDD-E4B6B89C78DF

And this is what AEV and Jeep teased us with over many years…..
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... E8DB1490-84D7-45E3-88B2-008998D3F393
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... 7B42C89B-470B-43E0-824A-B8C7BA72DC8E

Do you really think a 2023 Gladiator really lives up to the legacy and all the promises?

Only for the bean counters and corporate sycophants

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, the comfort/daily aspect would be the biggest issue, since it'd be the wife's daily. That was the reason we were interested in the Overland

Black Stallion

Badlands
First Name
Dejay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands / 20 Jeep Gladiator / 16 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I own a Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, it has everything. I was using it as my daily driver. I’m 6’4” so the leg room could be better. It’s a Jeep with a solid front axle; the Gladiator is fairly comfortable. Not as comfy as a Bronco, but still very nice with modern technology as well. I prefer to pull the boat with it and it’s a great four door vehicle. Having the truck bed on a Wrangler is awesome.
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... IMG_2218
Ford Bronco Does anyone own a Gladiator? Thinking about getting an Overland... FullSizeRender
Sponsored