First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have been on the fence for the last month or so about cancelling my bronco order for a GR86...

A little background, Im in my late 20s very active outdoors type but always owned sports cars. My first car was a 2000 Mazda Miata. I currently drive a Mitsubishi crossover with AWD that does well in the snow and I've taken it off-road but I don't expect it to do anything serious. I would love to explore the local trails in Florida such as swamp areas and beaches.

With the delays and lack of communication we've been getting its difficult to stick out this wait especially without a VIN or any sign of a build date coming soon. Not to mention the latest communication from ford of shipping broncos out without chips.

My build is a Eruption Green 2 door Big bend with the 2.3L Manual transmission and rear locker and tan interior. Kinda like the old green Sahara jeeps. I ordered without a reservation on 1/3/22 and I know MANY have been waiting much much longer than me but Im debating if I should cancel my order and jump ship to a GR86. Not to mention this would also save me about 10 grand...

While they are very different, to me they both fall into the category of "toy" cars. Both with small backseats(I don't have many friends just a dog) and 2 doors. Though the bronco being much taller and can tow. Its also quite a bit thirstier.

Please let me know if you're thinking the same thing or what your thoughts are on switching up from the 2 door to the GR86/BRZ.

Thanks for reading!

IMG_0508.jpg

2022-toyota-gr-86-front-three-quarters-1617596343.jpg
Sponsored

wedemmoez

Badlands
First Name
Moez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work for Toyota, and owned a 2017 BRZ for a while. I had a 2022 GT86 in my garage for a few days (buddy just got one and he wanted to drive my S2000 for a few days so we traded).

The GT86 and Bronco are completely different animals, they're both good daily drivers, and they both have a "fun" factor that makes them a blast to drive. I'm planning on selling my S2000 and using my Toyota vehicle benefit to order a GT86, so I'll have both the 4 door Bronco and the GT86.

If I were to only have one, I'd take the Bronco all day every day, its just so much more capable and fits my lifestyle a little better. I go camping pretty often and the GT86 wouldn't do so well getting out to remote sites.

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
I completely follow your line of thinking. These are actually the two options that I went back and forth on myself between the GR86 and a Bronco 2 door. I finally made the decision to see through my bronco order. My line of logic is I have spent the past 6 in years in Audi A5 and A4's. I am looking for a more real driving experience (with a manual) that is more reliable and cheaper to maintain/modify. Somehow that left me cross shopping the 86 and the bronco. Ultimately my choice was the bronco for 2 reasons. 1. in sports cars today (speaking from my audi's and the 86), to really have fun with them and push them to the limit you have to be doing speeds that far exceed the law. 2. I am tired of getting down into a vehicle, I know it is a small detail but its annoying to me to have to get essentially off the ground every time I get somewhere. Truthfully this will be my only and last internal combustion vehicle I purchase new in my life time. In 3-5 years when I am shopping again it will be for electric. I wanted one more old school style vehicle before I make that jump.

.... with gas prices where they are at I am now questioning the bronco decision lol

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you want to be able to do anything that would require having more than 3" of ground clearance? Ever since we got the Bronco I barely drive my Focus RS since it's just so much more versatile

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I work for Toyota, and owned a 2017 BRZ for a while. I had a 2022 GT86 in my garage for a few days (buddy just got one and he wanted to drive my S2000 for a few days so we traded).

The GT86 and Bronco are completely different animals, they're both good daily drivers, and they both have a "fun" factor that makes them a blast to drive. I'm planning on selling my S2000 and using my Toyota vehicle benefit to order a GT86, so I'll have both the 4 door Bronco and the GT86.

If I were to only have one, I'd take the Bronco all day every day, its just so much more capable and fits my lifestyle a little better. I go camping pretty often and the GT86 wouldn't do so well getting out to remote sites.
Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I would love to own both but Im afraid Dave Ramsey would be pounding on my door with the amount of student loan debt Im still working through.

Im still leaning towards the bronco I suppose these price increases just keep me anxiously waiting for what's to come.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
when the BRZ and FRS was available. There were a TON of them on the use market. Makes me think people buy them and immediately wanted to get out of them

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you want to be able to do anything that would require having more than 3" of ground clearance? Ever since we got the Bronco I barely drive my Focus RS since it's just so much more versatile
That's a great question. I think If I lived in Colorado or somewhere out west it would be a resounding yes but in Florida the off-roading and camping is less exciting in my opinion. (I used to live in Denver)

Really interesting comparison to the Focus RS though. I think part of my problem is I've only test drove the 4 door bronco which felt massive and Ive never seen a 2 door in person.

wedemmoez

Badlands
First Name
Moez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I would love to own both but Im afraid Dave Ramsey would be pounding on my door with the amount of student loan debt Im still working through.

Im still leaning towards the bronco I suppose these price increases just keep me anxiously waiting for what's to come.

The GT86 is getting marked up as well, just not nearly as much as the Bronco. I saw one yesterday that was 5k over. At least the orders aren't as delayed as the Broncos are. I'm planning on ordering my GT86 in June, and I'm not expected to receive it until November.

If student loans and pricing are a concern, def go with the 86. Its cheaper to buy, maintain, and run, and there's tons and tons of information available about them if you wanted to work on it yourself. Bronco community just isn't there yet since they're still pretty new.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's a great question. I think If I lived in Colorado or somewhere out west it would be a resounding yes but in Florida the off-roading and camping is less exciting in my opinion. (I used to live in Denver)

Really interesting comparison to the Focus RS though. I think part of my problem is I've only test drove the 4 door bronco which felt massive and Ive never seen a 2 door in person.
I still love the RS but the Bronco is just so comfortable to hop in and quickly drive off without worrying about ever scraping (my RS is stock height), damaging a wheel due to potholes, etc.

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I knew my bronco was going to go up to about 42K Id drop down to a base 2 door build. Especially if gas keeps going up.

at about $5/Gallon bronco would be 16.1*5 = $80.5 for a full tank and get 22MPG at most
GR86 13.2 gallon tank 13.2*5 = $66 per tank and gets 27 MPG at most but requires premium.

I'm a little bit of a numbers guy. If only I could get into the bronco off rodeo program, they just can't find my order for some reason.

Sponsored

3G & 6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 SuperDuty, misc others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can't track or autocross a Bronco, and you can't off-road an 86. If only one is in the cards, whaddaya like to do more?

Both fun on-road, but for very different reasons.

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can't track or autocross a Bronco, and you can't off-road an 86. If only one is in the cards, whaddaya like to do more?

Both fun on-road, but for very different reasons.
I guess If there was some light at the end of the tunnel that Id be getting my bronco by the summer or end of year it could help but I feel like I'm waisting my time.

Never done AutoX but it interests me and done some light off-roading and twice in a wrangler as passenger which was really fun.

I actually made a YouTube video of it hahah.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've been able to test drive both. 2-door was more fun and felt special. I would try to drive one before jumping ship.

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Coming from someone who's also in their late 20s in a very similar life situation, I'd get the 86 but hold onto the Bronco reservation. You likely aren't going to see you're bronco for close to a year. That's an entire year you can enjoy the 86, save money on gas (as someone who DD's a Jeep on 37s who gets 16.5mpg...its painful trust me), and probably turn around and sell the 86 for little to no loss whenever the Bronco comes in if you decide you want it at that point.

OP
OP
Bronccoli

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been able to test drive both. 2-door was more fun and felt special. I would try to drive one before jumping ship.
Any tips for getting my order to show up in the bronco offroadeo events? I
Sponsored