First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm new to "overlanding" and we are going on our first trip to the rocky mountains. It's going to be me and my wife hitting trails. We are going to mainly hit easy trails for the first trip. I want to bring some type of radio for those just incase issues. If we like it and have fun, we will do more. Should I get a CB or GMRS? How much power, like watts, do I need. I know if we like it, I will upgrade. I just don't want to brake the bank but don't want to buy junk.
Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it just gonna be you and the wife in one vehicle? Typically, radios are used for group convoy communication. Between the two, GMRS is the way to go unless you want to be able to talk shit to a trucker.

If you’re going to be on easy trails and not where you’re a mile+ away from any cell reception, it’s not hard to hike to reception if you’re ever in a pinch.

if you’re wanting one purely for emergency services, I’d recommend a satellite device like the Garmin inReach — pretty close to foolproof IMO. Do not rely on a radio to contact emergency services when in remote areas, specifically mobile radios and handheld radios.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it just gonna be you and the wife in one vehicle? Typically, radios are used for group convoy communication. Between the two, GMRS is the way to go unless you want to be able to talk shit to a trucker.

If you’re going to be on easy trails and not where you’re a mile+ away from any cell reception, it’s not hard to hike to reception if you’re ever in a pinch.

if you’re wanting one purely for emergency services, I’d recommend a satellite device like the Garmin inReach — pretty close to foolproof IMO. Do not rely on a CB/GMRS radio to contact emergency services, specially anything you can get without “breaking the bank”.
I think my plan will be to have communication in the future, BUT..... talking crap to truckers could be fun🤔🤔.
I will look into GMRS. What type of power level should I look into?

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think my plan will be to have communication in the future, BUT..... talking crap to truckers could be fun🤔🤔.
I will look into GMRS. What type of power level should I look into?
There’s a few things to take into account for that… what kind of range will you be looking for, do you anticipate there to be obstructions like trees, mountains, etc… but generally the higher, the better (GMRS is limited to 50W for mobile setups). What will also make a big difference is the antenna you decide to run. You could run anything from a stubby to those 80s satellite tv lookin things

just going off of you not wanting to break the bank, you could start off with something handheld like this and see if it works for you out there
https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Channel-GMRS-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B001WMFYH4/

anything significantly better than that will be an in-vehicle setup that’s gonna run you $300+

And anything significantly better will be for group communication spanning miles of terrain. Say you’re at base camp and someone’s out on a trail 10mi away. Don’t be fooled, most of the guys running external antennas and a mounted system are using it to talk shit to their buddies 2 car lengths back from them, if they ever use it at all.

if you’re wanting to get into all things comms, you could get pretty deep Into a setup like a few $K. Just depends on what you’re looking to get out of it in terms of range, anticipated obstructions, voice clarity, and just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go ;)

Personally, I keep a $20 Baofeng UV-5R in my trail kit. It can contact anyone I need from anywhere I might be in a pinch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s a few things to take into account for that… what kind of range will you be looking for, do you anticipate there to be obstructions like trees, mountains, etc… but generally the higher, the better (GMRS is limited to 50W for mobile setups). What will also make a big difference is the antenna you decide to run. You could run anything from a stubby to those 80s satellite tv lookin things

just going off of you not wanting to break the bank, you could start off with something handheld like this and see if it works for you out there
https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Channel-GMRS-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B001WMFYH4/

anything significantly better than that will be an in-vehicle setup that’s gonna run you $300+

And anything significantly better will be for group communication spanning miles of terrain. Say you’re at base camp and someone’s out on a trail 10mi away. Don’t be fooled, most of the guys running external antennas and a mounted system are using it to talk shit to their buddies 2 car lengths back from them, if they ever use it at all.

if you’re wanting to get into all things comms, you could get pretty deep Into a setup like a few $K. Just depends on what you’re looking to get out of it in terms of range, anticipated obstructions, voice clarity, and just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go ;)

Personally, I keep a Baofeng UV-5R in my trail kit. Because of my area, it can contact anyone and everyone from anywhere I might be that doesn’t have cell reception.
I added that to my cart, Thanks. If we get into this, then I will have radios to give buddies.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a handful of the Baofeng UV-9G off Amazon and they do what I need them to on trail rides.
Pretty happy with them for what they are and what I need. I have a few of the 5G's as well.
I also have a CB, but it seems most people are making the move to GMRS on group rides.

For what you can get them for on Amazon, you could feasibly run both and have both means of communication depending on the group.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a normal GMRS channels?

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found this review, so well done and looks like it’s going to be my first GMRS.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you are not going with a group your pretty much going to be alone for miles. I agree a satellite device like the mentioned garmin. You need a device that will get you help. A minor breakdown can turn into a life threatening situation if you just can’t get help. The gmrs and cb setups are great when your with people. No way I’d trust them for life saving situations if I was essentially going out alone.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a normal GMRS channels?
Depends on your group.
The usual channel most run is 16.
However, if you are in a smaller offroad area with several groups, you'll want a channel specific to your group for the day so you don't get bleed-over convos.
Basically we choose a channel and sync up on that one prior to hitting the trails.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm new to "overlanding" and we are going on our first trip to the rocky mountains. It's going to be me and my wife hitting trails. We are going to mainly hit easy trails for the first trip. I want to bring some type of radio for those just incase issues. If we like it and have fun, we will do more. Should I get a CB or GMRS? How much power, like watts, do I need. I know if we like it, I will upgrade. I just don't want to brake the bank but don't want to buy junk.

Okay, i'll like help you out with the google searching and like stuff.

https://www.takethetruck.com/blog/overland-off-road-radios-emergency-communication-devices

https://woofthebeatenpath.com/cb-vs-gmrs-radio-which-is-better-for-off-road/

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to run a a PA speaker through a CB in my 86.

Has anyone come across a GMSR with a PA function? It looks like GMSR is the way to go but I just cant find anything I can use with a PA.

I want to run a PA speaker and a GMSR radio but I'm not going to have two different units.

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base