First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Finally found a location I like for my Cobra 75 All Road box, and thought I'd share in case someone else either wanted to try it or (more importantly) you see a downside that I haven't recognized yet! I planned for a long time to put both radios under the seats, but I just don't like having electronics on the floor near the door.

Since I already have a Midland GMRS on a Mountains2Metal bracket above the glove box, I wanted to find another spot for the CB. Behind the driver's side fuse panel cover (A), there's an aluminum brace with about 70-80cm of clearance below the steering column. It's held in place by two bolts (B) (8mm or 10mm) and was not load bearing.
Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install midland-install-001

Because of the geometry of the brace, I was only able to get three holes drilled for bolts (C) to hold the radio in place. But I needed 70mm bushings (D) to clear the lip of the brace.
Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install midland-install-002

The Cobra has a bluetooth connection to the mic, but I used a right-angle extension to connect it directly to the radio. I also put a cable keeper on the bottom of one of the bolts to hold the mic cable from the GMRS (E) which is threaded behind the console. This puts both mic cable connections just below the steering column.
Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install midland-install-002-5

Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install midland-install-003

I use a BulletPoint Mounting Solutions rig for the microphone holder. I've had this setup for about six months now and I really like it. Very sturdy. I've even dropped a handheld VHF radio in it a few times and it has not moved yet. If I ever find myself using both radios I may buy another mount. But for now I'm just using CB on highway trips and GMRS for trails and the occasional repeater net.
Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install midland-install-004

The CB antenna is a 3-foot Firestik on a stainless steel mount by the front fender. It's tuned to resonate with the lower freqs with SWR under 1.5 on channels 1-27 and just over 2 in the uppers.
Ford Bronco Alternative Location for Hidden CB/GMRS/HAM Radio Install antenna-01

So far, the only downside to this setup I've seen is that the steering column has no room to adjust any lower. But as I always like it in the highest position that hasn't been a problem. Some may not like the mic cords dangling so close to the right knee, but I've had no problem with it. Both mics seem to keep the cords close to the dash.

Note, I did have the GMRS UHF antenna attached to one of the DV8 light mounts, but I've since moved it to a stainless steel lip mount (like the Firestik) for better grounding.

So far, I'm really liking the positioning and performance of both radios.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put a Yaesu in the same spot. I then ran the display control cable up thru the a pillar and used an adhesive ball mount above the sun visor. I’m very happy with how it turned out. I am still scheming to install a jack on the center console to clean up the microphone wire a bit I just haven’t gotten around to it.

also: grounding off the fender like that is way better than what I did the first time off the hood. I’m using the rugged radio mount currently on the mirror mounting and it grounds pretty well. I’ll adjust again if I need to but I’m thinking I’m good without a pillar lights

OP
OP
Sea Monkey

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
also: grounding off the fender like that is way better than what I did the first time off the hood. I’m using the rugged radio mount currently on the mirror mounting and it grounds pretty well. I’ll adjust again if I need to but I’m thinking I’m good without a pillar lights
Yeah, grounding that CB was a project for me. 11 meters is just so picky. And the mounts I was using were not the friendliest for grounding. Sounds like you found a better solution than I did though.

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...I then ran the display control cable up thru the a pillar...
Do you have a write-up or a video on how to do this? I am installing a Yaesu (FTM-500) ham radio in the glove box and have the control box on an improvised mount above the driver's sun visor. Where I'm stuck is how to route the control cable. Getting above/around the winshield is easy but getting it down the A-pillar is the problem.
Sponsored