Sponsored

Check out the COBB Intercooler! Available at Panda Motorworks!

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 BaseSAS / ā€˜21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ANY turbo product should be looking at a better intercooler and charge piping. Nothing robs HP like hot temps and pulled timing.
Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is that so? And why would you say something ignorant like that? Is it because I don't believe every unsubstantiated claim I come across.
No.. its because people who are versed In forced induction are usually well aware of the virtues of bigger & better aftermarket intercoolers. Especially when the product is from a company like Cobb.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With turbo or supercharge applications a cooler charge is more beneficial for the engine. That is why upgraded intercoolers, and heat exchangers are an increase in power because you can stay in boost longer without being heat soaked.

Cobb has been in the industry for turbo applications (mostly JDM) for a long time. So it does not have to be a stretch to understand what their intercooler can do for a Bronco. Most of the aftermarket intercoolers are a significant improvement to the stock intercooler.

In this case, size does matter. A larger size equates to more rows, more fins, and more capacity for cooling.

Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
With turbo or supercharge applications a cooler charge is more beneficial for the engine. That is why upgraded intercoolers, and heat exchangers are an increase in power because you can stay in boost longer without being heat soaked.

Cobb has been in the industry for turbo applications (mostly JDM) for a long time. So it does not have to be a stretch to understand what their intercooler can do for a Bronco. Most of the aftermarket intercoolers are a significant improvement to the stock intercooler.

In this case, size does matter. A larger size equates to more rows, more fins, and more capacity for cooling.

Ah, yes. A fellow 'kool-aid' fanatic! Hello fren šŸ¤— šŸ˜‹

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right because all the engineers at Ford don't know what their doing. You can buy an intercooler that is twice as big, but never need the capabilities. So go ahead keep buying stuff you don't need, the aftermarket loves you.
A well kept secret, (not so much) is that Ford, purposely leaves room on the table for upgrades and the aftermarket to fill in the blanks. Mustangs have been notorious for this since the 60's This is the reason we have the Shelby GT350.

The aftermarket for parts benefits the auto industry. This is one of the reasons the Mustang, F150, and the Bronco are so popular. The ability to add aftermarket parts. Its not so much that Ford engineers did not know what they were doing, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing because some, such as yourself, are fine with how the vehicle comes stock, and others, such me, want more. It is a WIN-WIN for the industry.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"A well kept secret, (not so much) is that Ford, purposely leaves room on the table for upgrades and the aftermarket to fill in the blanks."
Man, people love a good conspiracy theory.
Perhaps, but what is worse when people who have knowledge freely gives it, and people without knowledge decides to remain ignorant.

Perhaps it would be better to try to listen to another point, especially when you lack knowledge on the subject instead of ridiculing it.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Perhaps, but what is worse when people who have knowledge freely gives it, and people without knowledge decides to remain ignorant.

Perhaps it would be better to try to listen to another point, especially when you lack knowledge on the subject instead of ridiculing it.
Eh. We should probably stop feeding the troll.

If we continue to feed it.. it's just gonna have to shit. Said shit will probably end up splattering us and our good times šŸ˜†

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol.

Sometimes it is better to be thought of as a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt of it.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Back on track it's a well-known fact that with Boost the intercooler is the bottleneck in the system. If you add more boost than stock, your intercooler can probably not keep up. additionally I've seen tests where the stock innercooler drops boost.... that is pre-inter cooler you could see one to two more pounds of boost then after the intercooler. So by adding a bigger intercooler with more rows and more flow there's less restriction. This is also involved with turbo spool up, the turbo will spool up quicker when it has less restriction or resistance to push air through smaller holes. I don't see what the problem is this has been common sense for nearly 120 years since they started putting superchargers on airplanes.

in the big rig world , intercoolers show the PSI drop at a given CFM value right on the description. pure logic. pure facts.

RedSoloCup

Big Bend
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Itā€™s funny how people assume Intercoolers just add hp no matter how many times you explain what they do. They allow you to usually get more boost with a bigger/better flowing one due to cooler air means ability to make more power. Heat soak kills power/boost. Less heat soak allows the ability to not lose power and if tuned properly allows you to get more power since you can allow for better fuel trims since you arenā€™t battling that heat soak!

The reason why there is usually more left on the table is because cars from the mfr are made usually for the masses. Those that donā€™t do their own maintenance and wonā€™t notice heat soak taking away power and such. The car gets them to A and B without a hiccup and thatā€™s fine with them. Also stock cars usually dump a lot of fuel to battle heat and keep your car happy. They allow for safety of the stock by running this way. I mean come on Ford even has a performance tuen for several of their lineup cause they know they left a ton on the table.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
COBB has done in house testing on this unit. We have not yet but will be soon.

With that said the gain may not be peak it maybe under the curve because the stock unit is causing a loss in power with higher charge air temps.

Secondly an intercooler should be looked at the supporting mod to achieve more power than it providing a boost just for installing it. OEM intercooler on a hot day will cause more loss in power on the trails than a unit of the cobbs that keeps the temps in check. When increase the boost it will be able to accommodate that increase to allow the extra power to be had and maintained.
Depends on the trails doesn't it? Low speed crawling = near zero airflow across a heat exchanger. No airflow means heat soak no matter what the tubing size and number of rows. I've done hundreds of temp measurements on various ICs on other vehicles I've owned. A few minutes at or near idle conditions will soak any IC. A larger thermal mass takes longer to soak but it also takes longer to evacuate heat. A larger heat exchanger is advantageous only when a statistically significant amount of air flows across it. As others and you have said, it's part of a solution and should be farther down your build list. Definitely not your first or even second mod. That's my opinion. A fairly well informed one as I used to QC heat exchangers many years ago. For Valeo. With that said a Cobb unit would definitely be my go to choice. I've used their ICs and other turbo related components as well as their AccessPoints. Very good stuff.
Sponsored