indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw the new Bronco (Saturday, April 24) at an event in the western suburbs of Chicago. Very impressed. In my opinion, Ford hit it out of the park .

My angle? I'm a long time owner of open top 4x4s since 1989 (Jeep and Land Rover). I did a lot of off-roading while living out west. Majority rocky trails rather than mud. And I'm mostly a utility buyer. Meaning, I buy items with key features that I will actually use. (I'm not an image or "just in case" or "use someday" buyer.)

There were two Broncos on display:

A) 4-door First Edition auto trans (Cactus Gray)

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150973.JPG

B) 4-door Badlands manual trans (Area 51)
Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150951.JPG

Some info I collected:

1) **** The Sasquatch suspension provides a 1/2 inch lift over the Badlands.

I crawled underneath the Badlands and FE Sasquatch, and measured the vertical distance from the top of the rear axle tube, to the bottom of the vehicle frame. Here are the measurements:

FE Sasquatch = 6.5 inches
Badlands = 6.0 inches

I measured that way, because it provides accuracy, and cuts out other variables such as tire size differences. If someone can provide the same measurement for a base model, that would be great. Then we will have a more complete picture, in terms of suspension lift between the key versions, without all the other variables.

Here is a photo of me measuring. Don't go by the photo, the angle is off. The numbers above are the accurate measures.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150956.JPG

2) **** The manual shift lockout ring works well.

I had been concerned about having a lockout on the stick shift, after a not so good experience with a rental car. Happy to say - I now have no concern with the Bronco implementation. The lockout ring has a good feel, and pulls up smoothly. I shifted through the gears, in and out of Reverse and Crawl, with no problem.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150953.JPG

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150954.JPG

3) **** Some stuff going on inside the frame.

The two main frame rails are not completely open, and have some supports or frame-within-a-frame stuff going on inside certain portions. (See arrow in photo below.) The frame rails appear to be several sections joined together with welds. Unlike my TJ frame having single piece hydroformed rails, and my CJ frames having two simple c-channels welded together. Regardless, overall the Bronco frame appears strong. The inside seems covered in a cosmoline-like substance, probably for rust prevention. Time will tell how well the frame holds up.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150959_arrows

4) **** 4-door cargo area size is a revelation.

I'm a 2-door guy, but from my perspective, the 4-door cargo area is large. I'm coming from smaller vehicles, including TJ/CJs with not much room behind the seat. Count me a fan of the 4-door cargo area.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150972.JPG

5) **** Side windows press into a groove when closed.

I pushed on the rubber gasket, where the top of the sides windows will contact, and underneath there is some supporting structure, that will make kind of a lip. Meaning the closed window will compress the gasket, and the underlying structure will create a mild groove for a tighter fit. Also, I asked the Ford rep (who had overall good knowledge based on my other questions), and he said yes, the windows drop down a slight amount automatically, when opening/closing. So it has that feature common to many newer vehicles.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150967.JPG

6) Cactus Gray was surprisingly nice in person.

This was a shocker to me. I don't generally care for greyish paint on vehicles. But it looked nice in person. Still not my color, but I can now see why some folks are ordering it. (Also my 21 year old son very much liked the Area 51 color, and I also thought it looked nice.)

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150974-CactusGray

7) Fold down rear seats worked well.

Seat back has a largish lever for folding, rather than having to fiddle with a strap as in some of my other vehicles. And I didn't find the step up much of an issue, and the seat got close to flat. A generally good design in my opinion, given the body on frame design constraints.

Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference P1150986.JPG

SUMMARY: Impressed and looking forward to seeing a 2-door in person and test driving. Informative event, nice reps, thanks Ford!
Sponsored

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice write up and summary of the event. Just got back from there.

I was impressed by the Area 51 color on the badlands that was there. Both colors looked way better in person than in all the pics I've seen. Almost has me thinking about switching from AMB to A51.

GRENDIZER

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer Walking 🚶‍♂️. ‘23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice review with some additional details; that I haven’t seen or heard about yet. Thanks for the post.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice additions to the knowledge pool!

I'm hoping that the frame irregularities are due to the catch-all pre-production status.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great info. I measured a full inch difference in lift, but one of the trucks had the 2.3 and one had the 2.7 and that could have played a part, as they could use different springs based on engine because of the weight diff and maybe their calibration is a it off. A .5” difference is more in line with what Ford reps have stated as the lift difference between Sasquatch and Badlands.

DebbieEF

Black Diamond
First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang and F250 SD truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw the new Bronco (Saturday, April 24) at an event in the western suburbs of Chicago. Very impressed. In my opinion, Ford hit it out of the park .

My angle? I'm a long time owner of open top 4x4s since 1989 (Jeep and Land Rover). I did a lot of off-roading while living out west. Majority rocky trails rather than mud. And I'm mostly a utility buyer. Meaning, I buy items with key features that I will actually use. (I'm not an image or "just in case" or "use someday" buyer.)

There were two Broncos on display:
A) 4-door First Edition auto trans (Cactus Gray)
Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference 55t

B) 4-door Badlands manual trans (Area 51)
Ford Bronco Chicagoland Showing (Bronco = Awesome) + measured Sasquatch vs Badlands suspension height difference 55t

Some info I collected:

I crawled underneath the Badlands and FE Sasquatch, and measured the vertical distance from the top of the rear axle tube, to the bottom of the vehicle frame. Here are the measurements:

Badlands = 6.0 inches

I measured that way, because it provides accuracy, and cuts out other variables such as tire size differences. If someone can provide the same measurement for a base model, that would be great. Then we will have a more complete picture, in terms of suspension lift between the key versions, without all the other variables.

Here is a photo of me measuring. Don't go by the photo, the angle is off. The numbers above are the accurate measures.

2) **** The manual shift lockout ring works well.

I had been concerned about having a lockout on the stick shift, after a not so good experience with a rental car. Happy to say - I now have no concern with the Bronco implementation. The lockout ring has a good feel, and pulls up smoothly. I shifted through the gears, in and out of Reverse and Crawl, with no problem.

3) **** Some stuff going on inside the frame.

The two main frame rails are not completely open, and have some supports or frame-within-a-frame stuff going on inside certain portions. (See arrow in photo below.) The frame rails appear to be several sections joined together with welds. Unlike my TJ frame having single piece hydroformed rails, and my CJ frames having two simple c-channels welded together. Regardless, overall the Bronco frame appears strong. The inside seems covered in a cosmoline-like substance, probably for rust prevention. Time will tell how well the frame holds up.

4) **** 4-door cargo area size is a revelation.

I'm a 2-door guy, but from my perspective, the 4-door cargo area is large. I'm coming from smaller vehicles, including TJ/CJs with not much room behind the seat. Count me a fan of the 4-door cargo area.

5) **** Side windows press into a groove when closed.

I pushed on the rubber gasket, where the top of the sides windows will contact, and underneath there is some supporting structure, that will make kind of a lip. Meaning the closed window will compress the gasket, and the underlying structure will create a mild groove for a tighter fit. Also, I asked the Ford rep (who had overall good knowledge based on my other questions), and he said yes, the windows drop down a slight amount automatically, when opening/closing. So it has that feature common to many newer vehicles.

6) Cactus Gray was surprisingly nice in person.

This was a shocker to me. I don't generally care for greyish paint on vehicles. But it looked nice in person. Still not my color, but I can now see why some folks are ordering it. (Also my 21 year old son very much liked the Area 51 color, and I also thought it looked nice.)

7) Fold down rear seats worked well.

Seat back has a largish lever for folding, rather than having to fiddle with a strap as in some of my other vehicles. And I didn't find the step up much of an issue, and the seat got close to flat. A generally good design in my opinion, given the body on frame design constraints.

SUMMARY: Impressed and looking forward to seeing a 2-door in person and test driving. Informative event, nice reps, thanks Ford!
Thank you for all of the comments, photos and measurements!

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I was impressed by the Area 51 color on the badlands that was there. Both colors looked way better in person than in all the pics I've seen. Almost has me thinking about switching from AMB to A51.
The ones we saw were Iconic silver and AMB. I have said MANY times that I am not a blue guy, but the AMB is FREAKIN' BEAUTIFUL! Don't jump ship on that color til you see one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
indio22

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Agreed, I thought both colors looked nice, and the photos including mine, don't do justice.

Also there were two Bronco Sports parked outside in front of the event, having Area 51 and white. I thought the white looked nice on the Sport, and I'm not typically into white on a vehicle. I'm betting it will look nice on the big Bronco.

I thought the Area 51 was a better match for the big Bronco compared to the Sport. And it's possible Area 51 might look a bit better when not in direct light, but that's hard to tell.

Bottom line though - the color aspect is more personal preference. I'd very much like to see AMB in person, because I'm likely getting the base, and I recall AMB is available on the base.

OP
OP
indio22

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice additions to the knowledge pool!

I'm hoping that the frame irregularities are due to the catch-all pre-production status.
Sorry I should have been clearer about my "stuff going on in the frame" comment. It's not a bad thing. It's just different than my experience with older Jeep frames. The two frame rails on my TJ, started life as straight tubing, and were hydroformed in terms of the curves.

Ford seems to have used a different approach, welding various sections together. And inside each section, Ford has some subsections or brackets. Too bad Ford did not have one of those "frame only" displays from some of the other events, I would have liked to inspect that.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base

Badlands = 6.0 inches
That is great to know, just need to have a BB or BD measured to see how the standard Bronco height compares.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you for the suspension measurements. We still need to figure out how and why: springs? Spring perch adjustment? But the measurement confirms the calculations from the specs.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry I should have been clearer about my "stuff going on in the frame" comment. It's not a bad thing. It's just different than my experience with older Jeep frames. The two frame rails on my TJ, started life as straight tubing, and were hydroformed in terms of the curves.

Ford seems to have used a different approach, welding various sections together. And inside each section, Ford has some subsections or brackets. Too bad Ford did not have one of those "frame only" displays from some of the other events, I would have liked to inspect that.
Nah, I'm with ya on this.
Sponsored