Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
keyfob, oil change and anything else they’d notice
Gotcha. Let me know what they say. I'm wondering about updating/reinstalling the engine software. If that's a viable solution.

Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP, I suggest next time you park not using it to rule it out as a cause.

Is flat around here, i just park in first without worry. I rarely if ever use the ebrake. I dont like the electric brake, prefer manual e brake so i know exactly what it's doing
If you park in "G" for Granny, er, uh, "C" for Crawler Gear it will NOT go anywhere.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this same issue. Had it a half dozen times or so. Usually appears when cold, and I've only seen it when going up hill. Had one instance where I lost most power in second gear. Had I not pressed the clutch it would have stalled.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this same issue. Had it a half dozen times or so. Usually appears when cold, and I've only seen it when going up hill. Had one instance where I lost most power in second gear. Had I not pressed the clutch it would have stalled.
I stand by my diagnostic hypothosis; it is a fueling issue at low RPM, high load and cold oil temps (the variable valve timing is too quick to react when the oil is cold and has a higher viscosity, slow to move the cam phasers), the high fuel demand and low RPM relatively speaking is very hard to get metered properly with a DIT only engine. I believe it is not the clutch, but the engine surging due to slightly off fueling and cam position over what it normal. If it goes away under heavier throttle or less load (level or downhill), or when the oil is over 160F, then I would feel very confident in my hypothosis.

I think it is the nature of the beast when cold started.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I stand by my diagnostic hypothosis; it is a fueling issue at low RPM, high load and cold oil temps (the variable valve timing is too quick to react when the oil is cold and has a higher viscosity, slow to move the cam phasers), the high fuel demand and low RPM relatively speaking is very hard to get metered properly with a DIT only engine. I believe it is not the clutch, but the engine surging due to slightly off fueling and cam position over what it normal. If it goes away under heavier throttle or less load (level or downhill), or when the oil is over 160F, then I would feel very confident in my hypothosis.

So you're saying 1. Trying (if safe) to punch it next time and see if it subsides? (Can do) but 2. You don't see how it could be fixed ("nature of the beast")?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, there is some kind of weird lurching in first gear even with a steady throttle and not touching the clutch around 2500rpm or so. It rarely ever happens and I've been thinking it's something I've been doing.

It's almost like the motor is cutting out and then surging but it also could be the clutch engaging/disengaging. I'll try to keep track of exactly when it's happening since it seems it's not just me.

Sponsored

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, there is some kind of weird lurching in first gear even with a steady throttle and not touching the clutch around 2500rpm or so. It rarely ever happens and I've been thinking it's something I've been doing.

It's almost like the motor is cutting out and then surging but it also could be the clutch engaging/disengaging. I'll try to keep track of exactly when it's happening since it seems it's not just me.
Yeah same here. My Bronco hasn't exhibited this issue for a good week and a half to two weeks. I forwarded this thread to my salesman. I really don't know how to explain this to the service dept.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I'm no mechanic (computer nerd), however that sounds about right. With that, what would be a possible resolution?

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2019 flex with the 3.5 Ecoboost had a very similar issue. The flex was also an auto. A few months after the issue started the MAP sensor went out. After it was replaced the surging was gone on cold start and has not returned.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2019 flex with the 3.5 Ecoboost had a very similar issue. The flex was also an auto. A few months after the issue started the MAP sensor went out. After it was replaced the surging was gone on cold start and has not returned.
Oh, good to know. I'll let my dealership know when I take it in next month.
Thanks!

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has happened to me twice now; once in first and another time while in second. Both times around 2500-3500 right before I shift up. Foot off the clutch and barely any throttle input.

It definitely feels tune/mapping related, but I wasn’t sure if it was just a breaking in quirk or not while the ECU is learning. I’ve only got about 350 miles on it so far. @Drex your hypothesis seems most likely at this point, is there a way to data log like you can do with a COBB module without installing a tune? Does FORScan support logging?
Sponsored