First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the potential offer Ford is making for soft top owners. I went and looked in detail for the first time at the HT. I would like both tops. However I don’t trust it.
Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the potential offer Ford is making for soft top owners. I went and looked in detail for the first time at the HT. I would like both tops. However I don’t trust it.
No way would I spend any money on a MIC. Too high likelihood of issues. Rather get a TOR for cheaper, or Anderson Composites for the same price

OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No way would I spend any money on a MIC. Too high likelihood of issues. Rather get a TOR for cheaper, or Anderson Composites for the same price
I’m looking at TOR. Waiting to see how they hold up on the forums. It looks good in pics. Just not thrilled with the clamps. Look like old tackle box clamps.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unfortunately these cracks have become "normal". Those who say they don't have cracks or delamination either haven't looked, haven't looked hard enough, haven't used a flash light, or haven't inspected the top at all angles in multiple light levels. I'm onto my 4th top and believe my current one is only a few weeks from showing signs of new cracks.

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Unfortunately these cracks have become "normal". Those who say they don't have cracks or delamination either haven't looked, haven't looked hard enough, haven't used a flash light, or haven't inspected the top at all angles in multiple light levels. I'm onto my 4th top and believe my current one is only a few weeks from showing signs of new cracks.
Do you think it is just the outer layer and not structural? I'm looking a lot more intensely at Line-X which might be what it needs to stay together. There is a video somewhere of a cardboard box that got Line-X...

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Quality control/inspection process failure.
Does the supplier (Webasto) have people in the plant installing their tops?
Honestly it was probably fine at the plant . Mine was looked over very carefully when I picked it up but cracks appeared a couple months later . I think they have an inherent problem with the top layer process and all tops will develop cracks at some point. Some later than others obviously and most will be after the warranty period. Webasto should be running all the tops through a X-Ray line to show the cracks since most are not visible initially , but then they most likely would have a near 100% scrap rate .

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm just shocked, since I thought Ford had pulled that contract from Webasto after the initial fiasco. Thankfully, it led me to get the softtop!!!!! YAY!!!!!

But can't believe they're still the maker of those tops. Sad. We did not, in all fairness, ever learn if it was a Ford engineering/spec issue or a manufacturing issue.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yup we seem to be experts on top replacements, # 4 as well.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you think it is just the outer layer and not structural? I'm looking a lot more intensely at Line-X which might be what it needs to stay together. There is a video somewhere of a cardboard box that got Line-X...

Yes. I do believe it is just the outer layer and not structural. If Webasto would just make the outer layer a little thicker I think it would solve the problem.

OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just shocked, since I thought Ford had pulled that contract from Webasto after the initial fiasco. Thankfully, it led me to get the softtop!!!!! YAY!!!!!

But can't believe they're still the maker of those tops. Sad. We did not, in all fairness, ever learn if it was a Ford engineering/spec issue or a manufacturing issue.
It could be the fault of both companies. Could be Fords designing they had any part in how it’s made. Could be on the maker if they designed it or at the very least if they are going off Ford’s design, they ought to know if it will work or not. On them at that point.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I do think line-x would do the trick if applied correctly

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I’ve mentioned before and in my previous post, here’s an example. This is my own Bronco (4th top). At first glance and even inspecting very closely there appear no cracks. But get a flashlight on it at a certain angle and you can see the cracks forming. This is how it all starts and then the cracks (white lines you see) will start to open up and become real hairline cracks.

IMG_5065.png

IMG_5063.jpeg

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the pictures. This will definitely cause me to do inspections from time-to-time (and what to look for).

In see you are in AZ from your postings. Do you think the extreme heat might have anything to do with it? What temps have you experienced with your Bronco? Any correlations to the heat (in your opinion)?

Thanks again.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Lovely. I'm getting my MIC replaced under warranty later this week.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for the pictures. This will definitely cause me to do inspections from time-to-time (and what to look for).

In see you are in AZ from your postings. Do you think the extreme heat might have anything to do with it? What temps have you experienced with your Bronco? Any correlations to the heat (in your opinion)?

Thanks again.
Yes, I think it's wise to do periodic inspections. At least once a month. In the dark with your phone flashlight is the best way to find the cracks. In indirect natural daylight is the best way to see any delamination on the very top. Snakeskin (which honestly seems to be the least apparent now) can be seen in pretty much any lighting, but flashlight usually works best. You may be disappointed by doing the inspections and finding things, but at least it gives you some reaction time to file a warranty claim before it's too late. I will be out of warranty by end of the year and am on my 4th top, so I'm either going TOR or primer & paint over my OEM MIC with hopes that strengthens it up a bit.

Now to answer your question......no, I don't think the extreme AZ heat is causing it. To be honest, I think the dry climate is helping it. I haven't had any significant cracks like others, as mine have been small hairline. I think those in more humid and wet climates are somehow getting water/moisture into the top, and that is accelerating the cracking by the interior cardboard core getting wet and expanding / causing the cracking. All theory though, but I bet I'm not too far off.
Sponsored