Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

About a week ago when we had really low temps here in VA, it was about 10 degrees one morning. Started to drive up my driveway, after my Bronco had been slightly warmed up, climate control on, front defroster on etc, and I heard a crack. Looked at my windshield and watched as a crack steadily got longer and longer, about a foot and a half long after it was done. It's low, not directly in my road field of view thankfully, in the shape of a handlebar mustache so stopped/contained on left and right and then down on each side so it can't expand any further. Glass not covered under my warranty but I'm getting a factory replacement today installed under my insurance plan with zero deductible (through Safelite).

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen in their Bronco or any other vehicle for that matter - guessing just an extreme temp change from cold to warm but it's never happened to me before.
Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, happened to me a couple weeks ago in Missoula. Big crack going from top right, down to about midway in the windshield and ending about 3" from the edge of the left.

I'm not going to bother replacing it until at least Summer. It would likely just happen again.

It's happened before in my Jeeps. Part of the 'ownership experience', I guess.

OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This same thing happened to me last year, I got a chip in windshield over summer I quickly glued it and all was fine till cold day in September and I turned on the defrost and watched it crack right across the whole windshield

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Happened to me also. However, I already had a small chip, so I wasn’t surprised when it happened.

Sponsored

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Had it happen on an F150 a few years ago. and my mom just had it happen last weekend on her Ford Edge.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting a dealer to cover it will be a chore, I'm sure but it's nice to know this....

Windshields are covered under 12/12 for stress cracks, so even though it’s probably a rare occurrence, it happens. Hopefully your dealer can get it taken care of for you.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had both windshields crack in cooler temps. In both cases the cracks started from really tiny rock chips that was close to the edge of the glass.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Getting a dealer to cover it will be a chore, I'm sure but it's nice to know this....
I was lucky because I still had the windshield adhesion recall open on mine, so I got a new one for free. Also got Ford to pay for my window tint I already had installed.

Steed76

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Chances are if you take an ink pen and trace the crack to both ends you'll find the POI its likely a chip that you didn't know you even had. I've seen it several times.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks but already checked with my dealer and they said I didn't have extra glass coverage. But it's ok my insurance is covering it free of charge. I had choice between aftermarket and a genuine Ford one like I have now (with "Bronco" and "1966" on it) so that's what I'm getting installed today. Though now I'm wondering if I should have just gotten aftermarket! LOL

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stress cracks are 12mo/12,000 miles. The hard part for the dealer is proving it is a stress crack so Ford pays the claim. If it is a stress crack, you have to find the root cause (glass not centered in opening and contacting frame, some other hard object or trim putting pressure on glass) or it could happen again. There have been some outside cases of some A-pillars not being welded well to the roof or cowl panels which let everything flex and eventually crack but that was years ago.

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Most likely small chip that went unnoticed. It will happen with extreme heat in AZ summers

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My first windshied crack came drom driving down the interstate with the back windows off...heard a snap, and few seconds later saw the crack. Not a pop like a rock hit it, no chip, just a snap and the crack started. Few months later I'm washing the Bronco and it went all the way top to bottom...replaced shortly thereafter.
Sponsored