First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally getting around to installing braptor hinges and hammer built reinforcement and i find this.

I've mounted nothing but the (heaviest) OEM sasquatch wheel and tire, to-date.

Searching "crack spare" ( or "spare crack" šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø) yields zero results on this.

No one else has seen fatigue here yet?

Ford Bronco Cracks in OEM spare carrier 20240123_162117
Ford Bronco Cracks in OEM spare carrier 20240123_162105
Sponsored

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 BaseSAS / ā€˜21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You havenā€™t had any impacts or strange dents have you? Iā€™d be worried somebody bumped it or maybe used it as a jungle gym

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Havenā€™t seen that.

Not making an accusation, but something looks fishy about the location and direction of those cracks to me. I do wonder if maybe someone or something hit your spare.

also the bolts have torque markings. who had them loose before? I wonder if could be related to over or under tightening?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Havenā€™t seen that.

also the bolts have torque markings. who had them loose before? I wonder if could be related to over or under tightening?
That was my 1st thought when I saw the pic. Those bolts have been cranked down hard enough to wear the bolt head and subsequently crack the mountā€¦

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Were the rubber bumpers touching the spare after it was put on? If they are and they're really smashed, I could see that happening. The same thing is true if they aren't touching which could allow the spare to move around when hitting bumps. If someone hit it, I'd expect you to see some deformation in the gate skin or other waves/creases.

Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something has happened or someone has messed with that mount for that to have happened.

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Havenā€™t seen that.

Not making an accusation, but something looks fishy about the location and direction of those cracks to me. I do wonder if maybe someone or something hit your spare.

Looks like they used a standard socket on a metric bolt šŸ¤·

beerbar

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

10k miles on an unreinforced tailgate with a 37" tire, no rubber bumpers, a misplaced bolt and that has been wheeled a bunch. No cracks.

Ford Bronco Cracks in OEM spare carrier PXL_20240125_134507042
How much does your 37 weigh? I have Nitto 35's that weigh 70 pounds. Thinking I need to reinforce.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Were the rubber bumpers touching the spare after it was put on? If they are and they're really smashed, I could see that happening. The same thing is true if they aren't touching which could allow the spare to move around when hitting bumps. If someone hit it, I'd expect you to see some deformation in the gate skin or other waves/creases.
I've had the spare off for some time. Other posts have me thinking either someone ran into it or someone very inebriated (Vegas) decided to have some fun...

@flip should I fear the worst- looks like this is north of $800-900/can't be ordered without at least some of the camera guts and 3rd brake light (all intact otherwise)? šŸ˜±

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had the spare off for some time. Other posts have me thinking either someone ran into it or someone very inebriated (Vegas) decided to have some fun...

@flip should I fear the worst- looks like this is north of $800-900/can't be ordered without at least some of the camera guts and 3rd brake light (all intact otherwise)? šŸ˜±
Is it loose of feel like it's separating? If it were mine I'd probably take off and see what's going on in the back. Maybe grind some of the support ribs, cut a few pieces of sheet metal and Fusor the f out of it before dropping that much coin.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model