Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what you’re aggro about - I was simply asking what the ratio looks like globally as I’m curious. Read my previous posts, I own auto tranny vehicles…and I find them “meh” to drive. Not sure what you’re suggesting I like or don’t like, especially when you can get both in the Bronco.

That’s just the facts.
No that’s your opinion. Your facts.

I couldn’t care less about what you drive. I am just showing proof that the people that purchase manual transmission vehicles are in the very small minority and they are very quickly becoming obsolete.

Folks are very lucky to have a choice. The future doesn’t look so accommodating.
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn’t care less about what you drive. I’m not telling you to do anything. You are telling me.
I am just sharing facts of the evolution from shifting to not.

You don’t have to like change but you can’t stop it…
Marxism is forced upon others by removal of choice, I believe in the democratization of gear selection, chosing to engage in selection of my gears for better or worse. Taking away choice is not freedom. I am not telling anyone to do anything short of not taking away my choice, my freedom to shift as I see fit.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Automatic transmissions can't see the road, read the traffic, and don't know the intent of the driver when he wants to shift.

No harder to understand than that.
Are you talking about the transmissions or the asleep at the wheel drivers. I think the transmission is way smarter. It’s not programmed to do stupid things like some people do.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's more to understand than just that.

With today's modern autos with 10 (or whatever) speeds seeing the road, reading the traffic, and intent aren't as important as they were when autos were 3, 4, 5 speeds.

While to some "gear hunting" or being in the "wrong gear" in an auto may be annoying the motor and transmission don't really care much unless you're really driving the shit out of it.
I've driven the Bronco with the 10-speed auto. Like all autos it still is one or two gears too high for a manual transmission purist when asked to move. Shifting in manual mode with +/- on the shift knob is just an unnatural act. Dropping down a gear in D mode is kinda strange too and pointless. And it's a torque converter automatic, so there is shift lag between gears that manuals just don't have.

Auto trans do hide turbo lag and the 2.3 recovers well when asked to make power out when first in a gear or two too high because of the turbos. But it's no manual by any stretch of the imagination. I've been driving manuals my entire 40 year driving career, literally over 1.3M miles. The 10-sp is not even close to emulating a manual transmission.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you talking about the transmissions or the asleep at the wheel drivers. I think the transmission is way smarter. It’s not programmed to do stupid things like some people do.
Right, it's programmed not to break itself, so it hinders the shifting action.

Manual drivers have to pay attention to road conditions and the traffic environment to drive, so they actually pay better attention. The people who don't want to pay attention to road conditions and traffic BUT THINK they want to drive a manual are the people that switch and settle for a manumatic and believe it is the best of both worlds.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Marxism is forced upon others by removal of choice, I believe in the democratization of gear selection, chosing to engage in selection of my gears for better or worse. Taking away choice is not freedom. I am not telling anyone to do anything short of not taking away my choice, my freedom to shift as I see fit.
Excellent post.

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you truly understood a manual transmission, you would never think they are "the best of both worlds". Nothing is further from the truth.
Started driving tractors on the farm when I was 10 years old….51 years ago……have had a multitude of vehicles since then both stick and auto…….pretty sure I “truly understand a manual transmission” my current weekend ride is a 2 seat 5 speed rag top sports car….everyday ride a 6.7 Diesel SuperDuty……..while the stick is fun…..wouldn’t want to drive it everyday…….so stand with my comment that modern Auto boxes are the best of both worlds…….you on the other hand can think what ever the hell you want and it won’t matter to me. 😃

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted the auto for the remote start option! It will make getting into my Bronco during the Vegas summer months a little easier. The MGV branding wont be as noticeable :LOL:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Started driving tractors on the farm when I was 10 years old….51 years ago……have had a multitude of vehicles since then both stick and auto…….pretty sure I “truly understand a manual transmission” my current weekend ride is a 2 seat 5 speed rag top sports car….everyday ride a 6.7 Diesel SuperDuty……..while the stick is fun…..wouldn’t want to drive it everyday…….so stand with my comment that modern Auto boxes are the best of both worlds…….you on the other hand can think what ever the hell you want and it won’t matter to me. 😃
You are arguing a different point.

PowerTools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab, 2003 SportTrac
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My Ranger is my first auto in 21 years. Even after 9 months, I keep sticking that left foot out for that ghost clutch pedal. I really miss that manual... in certain situations. On the other hand, I like not having to worry about stalling on steep declines when going really slow. Perhaps the crawler would deal with that, but honestly assume I'd end up wanting a higher crawler gear for some situations. Who knows?

I do like in my Ranger that I can do dumb things like crank the truck from my phone and let it pre-cool a bit. I guess that could work in a manual, if it was left out of gear and I didn't have trust issues.

Maybe it was mentioned, but my mind did wonder if the Sasquatch Package only was available on the Auto, does that imply that the current manual is not robust enough for the big tires? I'm sure that's been debated elsewhere.

I'd like a manual Bronco sometimes, but that's not what I'll be getting. I can assure you it has nothing to do with not being able to drive.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is a ridiculous automobile. It has a removable top. It gets bad gas mileage. It is one of only 4 body on frame midsize SUV's. It rides like a log wagon. It is loud. It has spartan interior materials.

It is not a logical purchase. It is a want. People want a manual to go along with the whole thing. If you're going to inconvenience yourself in one way, might as well do so in another way.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've driven the Bronco with the 10-speed auto. Like all autos it still is one or two gears too high for a manual transmission purist when asked to move. Shifting in manual mode with +/- on the shift knob is just an unnatural act. Dropping down a gear in D mode is kinda strange too and pointless. And it's a torque converter automatic, so there is shift lag between gears that manuals just don't have.

Auto trans do hide turbo lag and the 2.3 recovers well when asked to make power out when first in a gear or two too high because of the turbos. But it's no manual by any stretch of the imagination. I've been driving manuals my entire 40 year driving career, literally over 1.3M miles. The 10-sp is not even close to emulating a manual transmission.
What do you mean "too high?" To high for efficiency, or too high compared to what you feel while driving a manual? You're comparing a 10spd auto to a 6 (not counting crawler) spd. Of course they will rev different.

The lag between gears with the torque converter won't be much more than a manual. A manual most definitely has lag too unless you're perfect shifting every single time.

I agree that it's no manual. I never said it was. I've driven manuals my whole life too. Only 20 years but I wouldn't be far off a million km's either. Split half and half between manuals and autos.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread I prefer manuals. I prefer selecting my own gears. Today's autos work damn well. I've never had a problem driving up a ramp in one like another poster said or had any trouble getting one to move when I want it to.

Each as its pros and cons for sure. But it's not as simple as you made it out to be. Selecting your own gears doesn't automatically make you a better driver than a computer. A computer doesn't automatically mean it's better than a human.

Also....driving an auto with those +/- shifters is ridiculous. I'll give you that. Ha. It doesn't even come close to the feel of driving a manual. It's like trying to drive a car with a nintendo controller. Ha

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This might be the stupidest post I’ve ever read. 🤣 They must of been your kids because I’ve never met anyone stupid enough who couldn’t figure out when to shift, that’s the easy part.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should try reading it again and you will see I was talking about the automatic transmission that didn't know when to shift......pretty harsh bud

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Ranger is my first auto in 21 years. Even after 9 months, I keep sticking that left foot out for that ghost clutch pedal. I really miss that manual... in certain situations. On the other hand, I like not having to worry about stalling on steep declines when going really slow. Perhaps the crawler would deal with that, but honestly assume I'd end up wanting a higher crawler gear for some situations. Who knows?

I do like in my Ranger that I can do dumb things like crank the truck from my phone and let it pre-cool a bit. I guess that could work in a manual, if it was left out of gear and I didn't have trust issues.

Maybe it was mentioned, but my mind did wonder if the Sasquatch Package only was available on the Auto, does that imply that the current manual is not robust enough for the big tires? I'm sure that's been debated elsewhere.

I'd like a manual Bronco sometimes, but that's not what I'll be getting. I can assure you it has nothing to do with not being able to drive.
The getrag 7 speed available with the 2.3 would be pushed to the max torque limit by the 2.7. Bigger tires are an additional issue. If they do ever offer a mansquatch, I suspect that it will be a different tranny.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

FWIW it’s only 15% - so not that many.
Sponsored