Rivdog07

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I happened to be passing a ford dealership today and figured I'd stop in and see if they had a mannequin show up. Turns out, one had been delivered 30 minutes prior! And damn near my exact build. They let me get in and look around, but no test drives yet as they hadn't even gassed it up yet. Yes, it was awesome.

In full disclosure, I told the dealer that I had ordered through another dealer in the area. He asked why I didn't order through them. I told him I tried, but the sales guy wouldn't budge from MSRP and I found a dealer that would give invoice pricing. His reply? "No way, no dealer in his right mind would sell for less than MSRP". I informed him I have it in writing and signed. His reply "you'll never see that truck". Ok...

I have had a great relationship with my dealer throughout this entire process. However, do you think this crap could/will actually happen? Where dealers agree on price only to renege on the deal?
Sponsored

AZBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those interested in a technical answer, an agreement that cannot be performed in a year (e.g., this is the joke part of the response for the super nerds) in most states is subject to the statute of frauds. Thus, to make it enforceable against the party to be charged, you need it the offer to be in writing signed by the dealer. The non-technical response, I would actually be surprised to see a dealer back out of a deal in a world where a few Yelp reviews causes them some angst.

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anything's possible, but I've already seen posts on people taking delivery from Stephens Auto Center. Stephens was selling for $1k under invoice and honored their price. Dealers are still going to make money selling at invoice, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense in the long run to screw over their customers when they already had a deal in writing. As long as your dealer isn't a complete scumbag, I think you're good to go!

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
He's partially right. if that price agreement was verbal, you're screwed. (in some states)

Sponsored

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There might be a few that try to weasel out of an agreed price, especially now with the extra delays. In the end, no good dealership would do that or knowingly let one of their salespeople do that. First of all, if it’s a bona fide offer in writing, they’re breaking the law in many places to alter the deal. Otherwise, most dealerships will honor It because word of mouth travels fast and far when they don’t.

Even selling at invoice, dealerships are making money. They will make a lot more in the long run if they sell 100 Broncos at invoice than if they sell 20 at MSRP or a handful with ADM. Ford does not want dealerships selling over MSRP on these, even with the production shortfalls and demand. There is huge pressure on the dealerships to not price gouge customers. And it seems most all are honoring their pricing at MSRP (some with a few extra crappy fees to nickel and dime the customer). So custom orders are pretty safe. As we’ve seen with the Bronco Sport, some people jump ship and buy something else and when that custom order comes in, it gets put in general inventory and with a huge mark-up.

It makes sense to offer a great deal to reel in customers and increase your product/cash flow, increase your customer base and subsequent good reviews, free advertising, etc.. Just look at the community support Granger Ford has generated on these forums.

OP
OP

Rivdog07

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a printed order sheet with agreed pricing, signed by the dealer. This guy was a slimeball and yes, did confirm I made the right choice.

BTW, as a shock to no one, the staff was absolutely clueless on anything Bronco. Too many examples to list. I despise most car salesmen.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having something signed with acepted terms and conditions is what you need for it to be considered a contract. If they were to not honor it; I say you have enough standing to get a lawyer involved. Just because they sell a vehicle at invoice doesn't mean they aren't making money from it. There is a 2-3% holdback, regional sale bonuses, manufacture to dealer incentives and even a little cut from financing through Ford Credit.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's partially right. if that price agreement was verbal, you're screwed. (in some states)
Even if it’s in writing in an email or public forum post?

Often times “verbal” contracts aren’t enforceable because it’s he said / he said…. But if you have something as simple as an email or text message, than it’s “in writing.”

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having something signed with acepted terms and conditions is what you need for it to be considered a contract. If they were to not honor it; I say you have enough standing to get a lawyer involved. Just because they sell a vehicle at invoice doesn't mean they aren't making money from it. There is a 2-3% holdback, regional sale bonuses, manufacture to dealer incentives and even a little cut from financing through Ford Credit.
My last new vehicle was advertised for 14k "with incentives". Got to the dealer and surprise, only 2 of the incentives applied to me. (For example, I didn't qualify for the $1000 rebate for having one green and one blue eye.) ;)

Sales guy said they could "get close", and came back with 17k. I said that is not "close", lol. Long story short, I eventually walked out of there with my 14k vehicle. I was happy and yes the dealer was reasonably happy - they still made money.

Ford will also make plenty on all the reservation holders paying MSRP (or extra as is probably the case for some eager buyers). Some folks are just not good with money or can't resist the desire for material items regardless of cost, so it evens out for the dealers.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
What actually is the spread between invoice and MSRP on these. I know it gets larger the more expensive your build. Zach told me it's only a few hundred bucks on my most Base of Base build for example.

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
What actually is the spread between invoice and MSRP on these. I know it gets larger the more expensive your build. Zach told me it's only a few hundred bucks on my most Base of Base build for example.
my invoice was about $900
Less than MSRP and yes I failed to talk my dealer into that price haha. MSRP wasn’t a deal breaker for me anyway. Basesquatch was a good enough deal in my eyes. I’m just under 40k with a few options...

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had my local dealer pull similar bullshit when I told him I was buying from SAC at -$1000 invoice. He was like "you gonna have to pay taxes" or something. I have already set aside funds for taxes in my state and know what to expect. It still saves me about $3k just for a simple 10 hour trip. I'm over here laughing at fools paying adm and being upside down when they pull out of the lot.

BigSki150

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had my local dealer pull similar bullshit when I told him I was buying from SAC at -$1000 invoice. He was like "you gonna have to pay taxes" or something. I have already set aside funds for taxes in my state and know what to expect. It still saves me about $3k just for a simple 10 hour trip. I'm over here laughing at fools paying adm and being upside down when they pull out of the lot.
I figure I'm saving about 3K with Stephens with the 1K below invoice and the Doc fees than I would of in Columbia SC. Sales tax on vehicles in South Carolina are capped at $500. Four years ago it was still at $300.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I happened to be passing a ford dealership today and figured I'd stop in and see if they had a mannequin show up. Turns out, one had been delivered 30 minutes prior! And damn near my exact build. They let me get in and look around, but no test drives yet as they hadn't even gassed it up yet. Yes, it was awesome.

In full disclosure, I told the dealer that I had ordered through another dealer in the area. He asked why I didn't order through them. I told him I tried, but the sales guy wouldn't budge from MSRP and I found a dealer that would give invoice pricing. His reply? "No way, no dealer in his right mind would sell for less than MSRP". I informed him I have it in writing and signed. His reply "you'll never see that truck". Ok...

I have had a great relationship with my dealer throughout this entire process. However, do you think this crap could/will actually happen? Where dealers agree on price only to renege on the deal?
Probably would of had better results if you would of said you were thinking of reserving, one but wanted to test drive it first. I used that line today but they just lied to me and said no test drives were allowed.
Sponsored