Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I hear that's standard practice to verify one's ID, also to make sure someone is not a list, part of the Patriot Act. I could be wrong.
yes and no. They have to run an OFAC, which is what your talking about. They don’t need your SSN to do that and they don’t have to run credit. if they run your credit when you are writing a check it’s probably to make sure that you don’t have a habit of writing bad checks. Cashier’s check gets around the credit check.

DL is standard and really no big deal. Most of the time, especially if you are requesting a buyers order, it is to make sure they type it up with your correct info, name spelling, DL #, DOB and such.
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They asked for
A copy of mine when I ordered
No big deal

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Copying your DL is a pretty standard operating procedure. Requiring a credit application, when you’re paying cash, or financing with a source outside the dealership, is not.

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hassling you on the buyers order is just another attempt for them to make money off you. Make it harder to get outside financing, so they can get the business to their partner lenders and make a couple bucks.

Play the game, send them your license photo and laugh all the way to the bank/credit union of your choice.

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They are gonna run credit... so don't be surprised if you check credit in a few weeks... that u see several hits on credit... they wanna do the financing.. next they will ask Bank or CU ur using so they can see what interest rate to beat... they make money going through their lenders.. it may not be but 100.00 but they want that 100.... is my best guess...

Sponsored

JD18

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Porsche Macan GTS, Bronco Badlands 2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never been asked for a driver's license to test drive a vehicle.
You must look more trustworthy than me than. May vary by state.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine did the same thing and made me fill out a on-line credit app before they would send the buyers agreement. I fought with them for two weeks but gave in and did it so I could pick up my Bronco.
I live in Florida . My credit union needs buyers order from dealer to confirm my loan with them. I called my dealer expecting no problem but they are fighting me tooth and nail to get it. After several calls and emails they said they would but then afterwards is asking for a copy of driver's license to send it to me. Why ? Why do I need to send the dealer my driver's license so they can send the total cost of my bronco ? Has this happened to anyone. Is it a requirement . It feels fishy. Like I'm being scammed
I dont understand why giving a car dealer a driver's license is a problem, something to complain about or be suspicious of? Pretty standard practice.

And yes, as others have said, they'll try to see if they can beat your current credit offer with their own, since dealers do make money with certain banks.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yes and no. They have to run an OFAC, which is what your talking about. They don’t need your SSN to do that and they don’t have to run credit. if they run your credit when you are writing a check it’s probably to make sure that you don’t have a habit of writing bad checks. Cashier’s check gets around the credit check.

DL is standard and really no big deal. Most of the time, especially if you are requesting a buyers order, it is to make sure they type it up with your correct info, name spelling, DL #, DOB and such.
This is correct, plus the DMV in MI requires it to title and register the vehicle.

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've had dealers refuse to sell me a vehicle unless they could run my credit on a vehicle being purchased outright with a cashiers check from the bank next to the dealership.
They just wanted to see if they could give you a better interest rate than 0% and save you the trouble of paying cash 😆

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hear that's standard practice to verify one's ID, also to make sure someone is not a list, part of the Patriot Act. I could be wrong.
Kind of ironic to prevent a terrorist from buying a car but not from being given free Blackhawk’s

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No guarantee a cashiers check is good. Just sold a boat and asked bank about it. Not safe from fraud. So yes the dealer might want to pull credit report just to check you out.

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Copying your DL is a pretty standard operating procedure. Requiring a credit application, when you’re paying cash, or financing with a source outside the dealership, is not.
I never heard from Granger why they ran a hard request for my wire payment...

Darkwood

Raptor
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I had a similar experience when buying my car. It's understandable to feel skeptical when they ask for extra documentation. When I faced a similar situation, I used a tool called https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/id-verification-api.html. It helped me ensure the legitimacy of the process and make it more secure. It's always good to double-check and protect yourself.

Last edited:

Greg_M

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Denali Dually
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We had to give a copy of our DL when we ordered ours. The dealer told us that other dealers were using false orders to bump up their stock when Broncos first came out and now Ford requires it. Auffenburg Ford is St. Clair Ill got caught doing this and Ford cut their supply and pulled all their Bronco orders for a time.

As far as the credit check, I can somewhat agree with that on a special order. Who wants to get stuck with a vehicle that someone with a 500 credit score couldn't pay for.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess all those disenfranchised voters who are unable to figure out how to obtain an ID must never buy or test drive a car. Or ever have to see a doctor, for that matter.
Sponsored