Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I despise car buying. Car dealers are just below politicians on my asshat list. I keep vehicles as long as possible to avoid buying a new car. I am hopeful that the Bronco reservation/ordering process makes the whole thing much better this time around. So far it has been.
One reason my '02 Escape has over 228,000 miles. So far so good with @NayNay and Leonardtown Ford!
Sponsored

braasch77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've written about this in the past on this very forum, but I've had less than satisfactory experience at dealerships

However despite all the hoopla with the Bronco launch, with the help of b6g members here sharing information, I've had a pretty good experience thus far with My dealer of choice for my Bronco.

Getting in writing, how much I'll pay BEFORE ordering the vehicle is a game changer for me. Also I plan to finance outside of my dealership using a credit union. That means I'm minimizing or eliminating completely any "money games". The only unknown is how much I'll get for my trade in... with it being worth one thing today but by the time my Bronco comes in, may be worth $800 less for all I know.

Either way I'm anticipating my experience later this year (or early next year, depending on if the Allocation Gods favor me) to consist of me trading in my car at the dealership, signing a bunch of papers with minimal surprises, grabbing my 2 keys, and driving off the lot... all within 1 hour !
When it was time for me to order by Bronco, my sales rep at the dealer said I didn't even have to come in if i didn't want to, just send him the build from the website via email. He responded with a confirmation of the build and an agreement for the price (MSRP+Doc Fee :rolleyes:) that they wanted met to agree to before they placed the order so there wasn't haggling later. After he answered a few more of my questions, I agreed, and am happy that they did this on their own so i don't have to get 'surprised' later.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I must be the oddball, I still enjoy getting new vehicles. Trade at least once a year with the same salesman, walk in educated on what you want and it can be a good experience.
Curious-- Are you leasing these things on an annual basis? Not trying to get into your finances

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish someone would try this with me so I can get some decent money from my lawsuit and I'd have a good story I'd tell for the rest of my life.

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

I had a dealer do this to me when I went to buy my Tundra in Georgia. When I first went to look at the truck they took my keys to my trade and wouldn’t give them back. I was angry and swore I wouldn’t go back to that dealer.

Six months later, the truck I wanted was still on their lot so I decided to go play the game in reverse.

I went there and set aside a whole day. First thing I did was test drive the vehicle, then I put the key in my pocket. Every time they wrote down a price, I would push it away and wander around the dealership with their key in my pocket. I ordered lunch and had it delivered for my wife and I, not the salesman. I kept him busy for 10 hours.

By the end of the night he was angry and frustrated, so was the manager. They were sure I was not buying the vehicle, but they wouldn’t walk away. In the end I was pushing the paper to them and they were haggling over a dollar. It was epic.

Best deal I ever got on a vehicle, and most fun I had flipping the tables on the dealer. It helped that it also was during the recession when they couldn’t move trucks but hey🤷‍♂️. Unfortunately, I can’t play that game with the Bronco.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They attempted this with my wife and I at a Dodge dealership in Philly many years ago when the Durango was introduced. Kept stalling and stalling us, wouldn't give me my keys. We were just looking to get the pricing, not even at purchase agreement yet. Then it came time we needed to leave to be home to meet the school bus with our special-needs son. Found an understanding associate who got my keys and as we tried to leave the sales guy came running out and tried to stand in front of my car to keep us there. He quickly figured out I was not stopping, even with his hands on the hood!

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Probably a good reason to give the sales person a spare key and keep one yourself.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had something like this happen to me but not as extreme. I think a law should be passed that allows you to throw a brick through the front window of dealerships that do this.

Sponsored

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jalopnik has also covered the service side of this where they claim you cannot take your car because XX issue is a safety liability. Imagine going for an oil change and the dealer refusing to let you leave until you agree to have your brakes done.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Eh. Wanted to look at a 2009 for traction/stability control. The dealer let me drive it for a weekend.

Came back and they busted out the four-square, trying to figure out what I could afford.

Not having it. The car had 56,000 miles, hail damage, didn't have traction/stability, and they wanted $800 more than the original MSRP. Didn't say anything besides "I want my keys back".

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I worked for a Jeep dealership many years ago, who claimed to be a 'no pressure' dealership - but was nothing of the sort.
I don't think we did anything as outrageous as what's outlined here. But we did have a 'no walk' policy, which simply meant no customer was to leave the lot without first being introduced to the sales manager. And apparently it was a terminable offense to walk a customer. There was no such thing as a customer 'just looking' there. Well, it kept me from chatting with folks who wondered into the showroom from the service department. [chuckle]
That dealership is no longer in business.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably been 30 years now but had a dealer insist on play the 4 square game and hide the keys. After about the 3rd time of me crumbling the 4square sheet in to a ball I asked for the keys back. Got the answer of The appraiser went to lunch and has your keys. No cell phone at time so just got really loud in the middle of the showroom explaining to anyone that would listen how big of crooks they are and possibly something about the mangers mom. My keys showed up pretty quick.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bring the vehicle I am NOT trading in and don't even mention it. Negotiate price in writing that day, then come back later to see what they'll give me for the trade. I AM upfront with them that if they bring out the 4 square crap, I'm done with them.

No, I don't NEED your financing, but I WILL give you a chance to beat what I already have.

You can force these dealers to work it in the way you want, but it usually means you have to do the deal over a couple of days.

Then of course in finance, decline all the extras like blinker fluid, under body film, dragon insurance, etc....
Sponsored