Sponsored

Did you buy the Ford premium maintenance and no extended warranty?

OP
OP
Linkster02

Linkster02

Black Diamond
First Name
Tamara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I paid $2k for 5 years 75k miles maintenance. It’s protection from inflation. If prices don’t rise over the next 5 years, I will probably come out even or ahead. If prices do rise, I come out way ahead.
See that’s not bad mine apparently is $3600 for the 7 years but then threw in dent care $1295 this exterior paint $1295 and interior seat shit $1295 which I tough he said he through j to the other thing. So now I’m trying to fight it
Sponsored

OP
OP
Linkster02

Linkster02

Black Diamond
First Name
Tamara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Warranties are purchased to cover when something really goes wrong. Statistically one individual may luck out and get a problem free vehicle, but with N=1 the sample size is too small to count on it. Replacing the 12” screen in my Badlands would probably cost $2K after the 3/36 warranty expires. In our work fleet of 100+ trucks I can use statistics to justify not buying warranties. I pay some large repair bills for things that could’ve been extended warranty, but at the end of the day we save 60-70% over buying warranties.

Since Chrysler discontinued their lifetime powertrain warranty, I haven’t seen any OEM offering warranties that don’t start on the in service date. Toyota goes out to 10 years and 125K miles for about $1500 on a Tacoma or Camry if you buy from a well priced online dealer. Some aftermarket warranties start at the end of the factory warranty, but in my shopping for my VW Touareg TDI they wanted $1200 per 12 months or 12K miles.

Ford ESP plans are usually marked up 50-100% by dealers, yes you can negotiate those. Flood Ford and the other online warranty dealerships are doing them for about $400 over their high volume cost, which is cheaper than cost at a low volume dealership. Mine on the Bronco was $1955 with options and a low deductible. With a higher deductible and skipping the options I could’ve been out the door for under $1300. I’m making the bet that my truck will have between 3 and 6 events covered by the warranty by the 8/100K term, hence the $50 deductible. Waiting until the end of the bumper to bumper warranty adds $100 to the cost, and I bought in before a price increase in January. I saved about $280 buying now rather than buying in 2.5 years.

I could pay for any repairs out of pocket, but in my experience I have always more than recouped my cost back from the extended warranties on my last 5 vehicles where I bought coverage. On my German cars the cost was usually recouped in the first repair. First year vehicle full of archaic tech that will probably break, a removable hardtop made of epoxy impregnated tissue paper, a new design manual transmission, and a direct injection turbocharged engine; yes I’ll take the bet that the warranty will pay out more than $1955 in 8 years.
See that’s worth it to me. I think I paid way too much for the fact he extended my 72 months to 84 and told me it was only extra $20 a month when in reality it’s like $60. Also added another 4k of shit I don’t need

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

See that’s not bad mine apparently is $3600 for the 7 years but then threw in dent care $1295 this exterior paint $1295 and interior seat shit $1295 which I tough he said he through j to the other thing. So now I’m trying to fight it
OP, you are being taken to the cleaners.

I’m a proponent of Ford Protect extended warranty but they are adding in everything including the kitchen sink under the guise of a warranty.

Regardless that price is ridiculous. It would appear you are actually being sold on about 5 different in some cases questionable products. Your original post said it was a maintenance contract now we’ve moved to warranty discussion. Plus paint & interior “protection” as well as dent care.

keep in mind that “maintenance and wear” and “extended warranty” are two entirely different contracts. You are hopefully at least getting both at that high price.

but regardless of what they are including, unless they are throwing in sexual favors, $8000 is insanity.

$1295 for spray wax is a rip off and the $1295 interior protection plan is also a complete and total waste of money.

I’ve only handled one interior claim in my career and it was for a guy who dropped a cigarette on his seat. The claim paid for his mistake but he still could’ve bought the seat cover out of pocket for less than the “protection”. Tell them to drop those two items and keep that money. Just my .02

and regarding dent care. Paintless dent removal is usually around $150 per dent or $3,000 to do a whole car in the extreme scenario of hail damage which would be covered by your car insurance anyway. So why pay for coverage when the repair is so cheap?

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I once had a vehicle that cost 32k new, came with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty...over the course of several years it got 2 transmission replaced and an engine replaced. Total cost was more than the price of the vehicle. So warranty was good for me. But, I doubt I'll ever use any of the warranty on the Bronco. The transmission and engine are bulletproof.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I once had a vehicle that cost 32k new, came with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty...over the course of several years it got 2 transmission replaced and an engine replaced. Total cost was more than the price of the vehicle. So warranty was good for me. But, I doubt I'll ever use any of the warranty on the Bronco. The transmission and engine are bulletproof.
I respect and agree with nearly everything you said - and as someone who has a Wildtrak literally and figuratively on the way, I'm also going to have the 2.7L and 10-Speed.... but as far as the transmission and engine being bulletproof, yeah I don't know about all that ... you never know what can happen. I'm not sayin they're some sort of chopped liver, far from it. There are pretty credible videos on Youtube about how the 2.7L might be the best engine Ford has ever produced and significantly more desirable than the 5.0L 'Stang engine I think we'd all initially have at least expected if not wanted ... but still, they can go at any time, anything can happen.

I have a Lifetime warranty on my Jeep that they no longer offer and I'm sure glad I got it. Chrysler is known for their transmission problems. Only real problem I had on our absolutely-awesome original 1998 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L 360ci was the transmission blowing. Had to Cottman it, now I have the Warranty for that mess.

Sponsored

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is there something like this but covers the windshield? That's what I really want and my insurance doesn't have the option. None of the ESP seem to include them.

Cooldude

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes e400 cab, edge titanium, ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not quite sure why one would spend $1690 on a extended warranty.
With all that’s going on with these vehicles, you can’t understand why soneone would buy a extended warranty for 100,000 miles?

and the cost is 1700 dollars?

for that price, why wouldn’t you?

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Warranties are purchased to cover when something really goes wrong. Statistically one individual may luck out and get a problem free vehicle, but with N=1 the sample size is too small to count on it. Replacing the 12” screen in my Badlands would probably cost $2K after the 3/36 warranty expires. In our work fleet of 100+ trucks I can use statistics to justify not buying warranties. I pay some large repair bills for things that could’ve been extended warranty, but at the end of the day we save 60-70% over buying warranties.

Since Chrysler discontinued their lifetime powertrain warranty, I haven’t seen any OEM offering warranties that don’t start on the in service date. Toyota goes out to 10 years and 125K miles for about $1500 on a Tacoma or Camry if you buy from a well priced online dealer. Some aftermarket warranties start at the end of the factory warranty, but in my shopping for my VW Touareg TDI they wanted $1200 per 12 months or 12K miles.

Ford ESP plans are usually marked up 50-100% by dealers, yes you can negotiate those. Flood Ford and the other online warranty dealerships are doing them for about $400 over their high volume cost, which is cheaper than cost at a low volume dealership. Mine on the Bronco was $1955 with options and a low deductible. With a higher deductible and skipping the options I could’ve been out the door for under $1300. I’m making the bet that my truck will have between 3 and 6 events covered by the warranty by the 8/100K term, hence the $50 deductible. Waiting until the end of the bumper to bumper warranty adds $100 to the cost, and I bought in before a price increase in January. I saved about $280 buying now rather than buying in 2.5 years.

I could pay for any repairs out of pocket, but in my experience I have always more than recouped my cost back from the extended warranties on my last 5 vehicles where I bought coverage. On my German cars the cost was usually recouped in the first repair. First year vehicle full of archaic tech that will probably break, a removable hardtop made of epoxy impregnated tissue paper, a new design manual transmission, and a direct injection turbocharged engine; yes I’ll take the bet that the warranty will pay out more than $1955 in 8 years.
It’s coming down to cost. Like I said, no judgement on purchasing extended warranties, because I always do, just not for over $2K on luxury vehicles.

For cost reference, only one Bimmer was over $60K and was actually just over $80K (X5). The RR was sneezing at $90K and I’ve told my wife never again. Time to get out of the luxury car circus, so she’d better love This thing.

neither extended was over $2K that I paid and they go to 100K miles.

my point here is that these dealerships are charging you guys far too much money. It’s good to protect yourself from serious repair costs, but if you total your Bronco, you’ve lost that money. If you go wheeling, not hard to total your Bronco…..

Haggle on these charges.

OP
OP
Linkster02

Linkster02

Black Diamond
First Name
Tamara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, you are being taken to the cleaners.

I’m a proponent of Ford Protect extended warranty but they are adding in everything including the kitchen sink under the guise of a warranty.

Regardless that price is ridiculous. It would appear you are actually being sold on about 5 different in some cases questionable products. Your original post said it was a maintenance contract now we’ve moved to warranty discussion. Plus paint & interior “protection” as well as dent care.

keep in mind that “maintenance and wear” and “extended warranty” are two entirely different contracts. You are hopefully at least getting both at that high price.

but regardless of what they are including, unless they are throwing in sexual favors, $8000 is insanity.

$1295 for spray wax is a rip off and the $1295 interior protection plan is also a complete and total waste of money.

I’ve only handled one interior claim in my career and it was for a guy who dropped a cigarette on his seat. The claim paid for his mistake but he still could’ve bought the seat cover out of pocket for less than the “protection”. Tell them to drop those two items and keep that money. Just my .02

and regarding dent care. Paintless dent removal is usually around $150 per dent or $3,000 to do a whole car in the extreme scenario of hail damage which would be covered by your car insurance anyway. So why pay for coverage when the repair is so cheap?
Yeah it think the post got a little everywhere lol i didn’t do the extended warranty. It’s the ford premicare which is more the maintenance shit. I agree and im trying to have him remove those 3 extra things because it’s ridiculous to pay almost another 4k for those things. I believe the care is important and 3600 still might be a little much but it made more sense. If he can’t I will cancel all together and go with the ford flood care. My thing was the fact it got put into my loan so I don’t know how that works.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cancel everything and buy coverage elsewhere if you want it. $3600 is way too much for the maintenance.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all that’s going on with these vehicles, you can’t understand why soneone would buy a extended warranty for 100,000 miles?

and the cost is 1700 dollars?

for that price, why wouldn’t you?
Easy.
Initial investment, deductibles, limitations, restrictions.
They don’t sell them to lose money. They sell them to make money. Fear sells…

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why buy the extended warranty now vs waiting until the current warranty is almost over and then buy it(3-36k and 5-60k power train)? You may not even own it by then plus you're not really getting the full extended warranty length as the current warranty is in effect in the beginning. I can understand somewhat as you may want to roll it over into the loan and finance it, but at an additional interest cost. Is there something else I may be missing?

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not quite sure why one would spend $1690 on a extended warranty.
Because turbos are expensive and you can all but guarantee youll need em cleaned or replaced within 100k miles
Sponsored