First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought @RCI Offroad roof rack for my 2 door Bronco because I like its looks better than Trailrax’s set up. I still think RCI has the best looking system, but I ran into rattling issues that leave me disappointed enough to put my old OEM roof rack back on. I use Inspired Overland’s light weight RTT. RCI’s rack has been rattling and emitting this popping sound that sounds like my hardtop is warping. I’ve disassembled, then reassembled it with rubber washers where I suspected problem points were. Same problem after a few days. Then I added 1/4” foam padding to where the rack hooks to the hardtop. No lasting improvement. I think there are gaps left due to included rubber hardware not fitting snuggly enough. Maybe that’s what’s slamming onto my roof during daily drives. Maybe I’m an outlier and more patient people create their own fixes, but at $1,028 not including light bar I expected more.
Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… IMG_3149
Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… IMG_3140
Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… IMG_3136
Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… IMG_3142
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know.
Thanks for the info.
(y)

smonroe11

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought RCI’s roof rack for my 2 door Bronco because I like its looks better than Trailrax’s set up. I still think RCI has the best looking system, but I ran into rattling issues that leave me disappointed enough to put my old OEM roof rack back on. I use Inspired Overland’s light weight RTT. RCI’s rack has been rattling and emitting this popping sound that sounds like my hardtop is warping. I’ve disassembled, then reassembled it with rubber washers where I suspected problem points were. Same problem after a few days. Then I added 1/4” foam padding to where the rack hooks to the hardtop. No lasting improvement. I think there are gaps left due to included rubber hardware not fitting snuggly enough. Maybe that’s what’s slamming onto my roof during daily drives. Maybe I’m an outlier and more patient people create their own fixes, but at $1,028 not including light bar I expected more.
Off topic but how do you like the Inspired Overland RTT with the OEM rack.

thanks!

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven’t bought it yet but am saving my pennies for the TrailRax rack for my 2-dr Badlands. One of the guys I met at the Off-Roadeo in Moab a few weeks ago had it on his rig, VERY nice setup!! The bend at the top of the siderails make it look much stronger than the RCI. Yeah, the TrailRax is more expensive but, in this case, I think I’ll get what I pay for.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the first I’ve heard of noises coming from the RCI roof rack

Did you install RCI’s hard top support bracket or JCR’s hardtop support bracket?

Sponsored

SixEighty680

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BadSquatch, 22 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the trailrax, they have foam inserts all around the brackets that connect up top for the clamping portion to eliminate that issue completely. If you want pix, I'll take some. I also added rubber strips to the parts of the tent that touch the rack so there is no metal on metal contact, so no squeal.

Reactions: TLO

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t bought it yet but am saving my pennies for the TrailRax rack for my 2-dr Badlands. One of the guys I met at the Off-Roadeo in Moab a few weeks ago had it on his rig, VERY nice setup!! The bend at the top of the siderails make it look much stronger than the RCI. Yeah, the TrailRax is more expensive but, in this case, I think I’ll get what I pay for.
+1 for the TrailRax on a 2 dr Badlands

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had my Trailrax on since 2021 and no issues at all,well worth the extra cost i think.

OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Off topic but how do you like the Inspired Overland RTT with the OEM rack.

thanks!
Solid tent and not too expensive. Light weight, but if you’re over 6’ feet you may have to sleep at an angle. There’s a XL version and a lighter weigh upgrade since 2023. Didn’t want the long one since I camp solo and have a 2 door. Works great with an OEM rack.

OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the first I’ve heard of noises coming from the RCI roof rack

Did you install RCI’s hard top support bracket or JCR’s hardtop support bracket?
RCI’s if you mean the brackets you install rubber pads on. They’re included in the kit. Rear supports come up short creating a gap I needed to reinforce with cheap anti vibration pads from Home Depot. The stuff they use for washing machines. First thing that came to mind.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the trailrax, they have foam inserts all around the brackets that connect up top for the clamping portion to eliminate that issue completely. If you want pix, I'll take some. I also added rubber strips to the parts of the tent that touch the rack so there is no metal on metal contact, so no squeal.
That’s something I should have done from the get go. I left other rails bare since rattling was a non issue with my OEM set up. Learn from others I guess.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

RCI’s if you mean the brackets you install rubber pads on. They’re included in the kit. Rear supports come up short creating a gap I needed to reinforce with cheap anti vibration pads from Home Depot. The stuff they use for washing machines. First thing that came to mind.
Yup, believe it’s that bracket, asked cause that was a later addition

Hopefully RCI chimes in with some helpful advice and the rattling gets resolved

This rack is the only rack im interested in because of the low profile and straight front fairing. I just can’t fall in love with the curved fairing from other companies

Also glad to hear you’re liking the IO RTT - I’m going to be ordering the carbon fiber model once the finances allow

OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yup, believe it’s that bracket, asked cause that was a later addition

Hopefully RCI chimes in with some helpful advice and the rattling gets resolved

This rack is the only rack im interested in because of the low profile and straight front fairing. I just can’t fall in love with the curved fairing from other companies

Also glad to hear you’re liking the IO RTT - I’m going to be ordering the carbon fiber model once the finances allow
The fairing and side supports are what sold me on RCI. I never take off my top, so it’s the best looking in my opinion. I’m going to take someone else’s advice and add foam on all tent to rack contact points. I’ll see how it goes.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The fairing and side supports are what sold me on RCI. I never take off my top, so it’s the best looking in my opinion. I’m going to take someone else’s advice and add foam on all tent to rack contact points. I’ll see how it goes.
Hope it works for you - please let us know too !

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I have a Valkyrie rack on my Heritage... On my last Bronco, a Badlands, it rattled and squeaked and creaked when loaded down. But it was solid.
All that noise came from slight movement at the mounting points, obviously... And wore INTO the mic top eventually.
With the painted Heritage roof, this was no bueno...
I added some PPF to the contact areas and 1/8" self adhesive foam padding to the brackets.
I'm hoping this will protect the roof!!
Have yet to test it out loaded down! 🤞🏻

Sponsored