Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw Justin McBride build his platform and honestly it made so much sense I had to copy him and do one for myself. This completely eliminates the hump between the cargo floor/backseat while introducing storage hidden underneath. My plan is to solo camp for a week or two at a time and this is the perfect easy DIY solution that anyone can knock out over a weekend.

Materials needed:

(2) 2' x 4' x 1/2" plywood, or (1) 4' x 4' x 1/2
(2) rolls of trailer bunk carpet -- Its almost the exact amount I needed so 3 rolls if you're concerned https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOTTK...abc_NQW774CAJTCF26SEDWHS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
(1) 2x4x8 board - ended up milling my own but dimensionally each base support measured 29" long.
(1) spray adhesive, 3m worked great for me

If anyone wants the dimensions completed let me know, it was a back and forth between the Bronco and tablesaw but it fits perfectly now.

Ford Bronco DIY Cargo Area Platform - J McBride Clone 20211003_162919
Ford Bronco DIY Cargo Area Platform - J McBride Clone 20211003_163257
Ford Bronco DIY Cargo Area Platform - J McBride Clone 20211005_195057

Ford Bronco DIY Cargo Area Platform - J McBride Clone 20211005_195140
*disregard the patch job on the left support leg. Ran out of bunk material at the very last piece of endgrain lol
Sponsored

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nicely done!

Ford Bronco DIY Cargo Area Platform - J McBride Clone giphy (6) (25)

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

exactly what I plan to do until someone builds something with slide out drawers (or I'll add them myself too) with some security or just make them so they are not obviously there. Plus this is easy to remove and store, for my daily driving I don't want any off road or camping gear on or in my Bronco. Would be easy to add some flat drawers to this. I might make mine only half cargo size too, just a sleeping platform, not sure yet. I'll decide that once I have it. Or I'll make it two pieces, full and half coverage.

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

exactly what I plan to do until someone builds something with slide out drawers (or I'll add them myself too) with some security or just make them so they are not obviously there. Plus this is easy to remove and store, for my daily driving I don't want any off road or camping gear on or in my Bronco. Would be easy to add some flat drawers to this. I might make mine only half cargo size too, just a sleeping platform, not sure yet. I'll decide that once I have it. Or I'll make it two pieces, full and half coverage.
Easily done in either of those scenarios. Light enough to move in and out but with a fridge/gear plus the dimensions being tight anyways it aint going anywhere

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive gotta do the opposite. I'm ordering the security drawer and need to raise the rear seat area back up to the security drawer.

Sponsored

CptSamFalcon

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr BD, 2021 Kawasaki KLX300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great simple build! Might cave and just start sawing... the hump really gets on my nerves haha.

I plan to wait on that slide out tailgate... no word on it yet but was designed to eliminate that hump and it will also make a much higher load-bearing alternative to that flip down table.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw Justin McBride build his platform and honestly it made so much sense I had to copy him and do one for myself. This completely eliminates the hump between the cargo floor/backseat while introducing storage hidden underneath. My plan is to solo camp for a week or two at a time and this is the perfect easy DIY solution that anyone can knock out over a weekend.

Materials needed:

(2) 2' x 4' x 1/2" plywood, or (1) 4' x 4' x 1/2
(2) rolls of trailer bunk carpet -- Its almost the exact amount I needed so 3 rolls if you're concerned https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOTTK...abc_NQW774CAJTCF26SEDWHS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
(1) 2x4x8 board - ended up milling my own but dimensionally each base support measured 29" long.
(1) spray adhesive, 3m worked great for me

If anyone wants the dimensions completed let me know, it was a back and forth between the Bronco and tablesaw but it fits perfectly now.

*disregard the patch job on the left support leg. Ran out of bunk material at the very last piece of endgrain lol
Nice use of the Kreg, Mine has been very usefull

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been waiting for the pull out tailgate accessory but I think I'd rather build my own.

Thinking of practicality besides making the platform for comfortable car camping, what are you guys thinking about the space underneath the platform. You guys making pull out drawers some other thoughts?

This is my first car I've ever customized so would love to hear some experienced insights.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did this for my gen 4 Explorer. I used two sleepers a little closer together allowing a large dog crate to be stored below. It was very handy.

Reactions: Cat

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That turned out well, nice work, thanks for showing it

I guess if you were inclined, based on your use, you could add a foam layer under the covering for some padding

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Looks nice! Surprised no negative comments regarding carpet and not being able to clean the inside with pressure washer! 😎

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go for it, Thanks for posting...great to see you make your Bronco your own.
Waiting for my day to do similar with the back seats removed too.
Sponsored