MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like what?
Just not a fan of mounting anything that blocks air flow in the red "High Risk" area detailed in the Bronco Cooling Considerations section of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide.

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 20230219_121201

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just not a fan of mounting anything that blocks air flow in the red "High Risk" area detailed in the Bronco Cooling Considerations section of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide.

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 20230219_121201
I get all of that. But the statement was "I'd never put a winch behind a bumper for many reasons...".
Wonder what those many reasons are from the person thst made the statement.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

20230219_121201.jpg
The winch is clearly above the IC though.

img_6250-jpg.jpg

@tobyw Do you feel like the two bolts is more than enough to support the solenoid? I was test fitting mine last night after I completely switched directions from where I was going to mount mine after seeing this setup. I could see that for the most part it seems a decent amount of weight will rest directly on the shroud itself and the bolts seem to just hold it in position, correct?

I originally was going to house both the isolator and solenoid on this bracket by the battery but it would be super tight to fit them both, but it would fit. Solenoid would mount to the top, isolator under it:

53603221572_1fa2181019_k.jpg
Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr

Sponsored
OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@tobyw Do you feel like the two bolts is more than enough to support the solenoid? I was test fitting mine last night after I completely switched directions from where I was going to mount mine after seeing this setup. I could see that for the most part it seems a decent amount of weight will rest directly on the shroud itself and the bolts seem to just hold it in position, correct?

I originally was going to house both the isolator and solenoid on this bracket by the battery but it would be super tight to fit them both, but it would fit. Solenoid would mount to the top, isolator under it:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 53603221572_1fa2181019_k
I'm not sure what winch you are using, although I'd guess all solenoid boxes are pretty similar, but the HF 12k unit was actually pretty light... I don't think I'd put my body weight on the bracket I came up with, but I'm satisfied it'll hold the solenoid box through the majority of my shenanigans :LOL:

That said, I dig your bracket setup idea, even though it's a tight fit it looks good and I'm sure it'll serve you well. I'm a big fan of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) myself (y)

I just added the wireless control widget next to my controller. It's mounted on a little bracket that uses the intercooler piping anchor bolt, and just hangs there in space since it weighs nothing:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_6331.JPG

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reasons I would not have a hidden winch;

I live in northern, NH (mud, salt, snow and ice)
Difficulty getting to free spool lever with a 2.3l. Impossible with a 2.7l that I have heard.
Changing/fixing rope
fixing wiring issues

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not sure what winch you are using, although I'd guess all solenoid boxes are pretty similar, but the HF 12k unit was actually pretty light... I don't think I'd put my body weight on the bracket I came up with, but I'm satisfied it'll hold the solenoid box through the majority of my shenanigans :LOL:

That said, I dig your bracket setup idea, even though it's a tight fit it looks good and I'm sure it'll serve you well. I'm a big fan of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) myself (y)

I just added the wireless control widget next to my controller. It's mounted on a little bracket that uses the intercooler piping anchor bolt, and just hangs there in space since it weighs nothing:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_6331.JPG
I gotta thank you for the inspiration. Splitting the solenoid from the isolator definitely cleaned everything up and I like that the three main wires from the solenoid are going to be a much shorter run than trying to package and bundle the wires for a longer run. This is my version:

53627562099_1f146c9dec_4k.jpg

The bracket self locates into the mount in the shroud. Makes install a tiny bit more difficult but if I take the air box cover off it's super easy.

53626339812_bb75ea3758_4k.jpg
53626339827_dc1762e612_4k.jpg

Just enough space to get the wire to plug in the controller if I ever didn't want to go wireless. Since I run the winch on an isolator activated by an auxiliary switch I can always leave wireless on without the risk of parasitic drain.

Now that everything is made I can finally start installing the damn thing and making the wires.

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I gotta thank you for the inspiration. Splitting the solenoid from the isolator definitely cleaned everything up and I like that the three main wires from the solenoid are going to be a much shorter run than trying to package and bundle the wires for a longer run. This is my version:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 53626339827_dc1762e612_4k

The bracket self locates into the mount in the shroud. Makes install a tiny bit more difficult but if I take the air box cover off it's super easy.

Just enough space to get the wire to plug in the controller if I ever didn't want to go wireless. Since I run the winch on an isolator activated by an auxiliary switch I can always leave wireless on without the risk of parasitic drain.

Now that everything is made I can finally start installing the damn thing and making the wires.
Looks great, glad to help provide some inspiration (y)
Sponsored