Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a BougeRV 42 Qt single zone fridge, it's small, works great, doesn't kill the battery overnight and didn't break the bank. We use it all the time but never for more than day trips. I'm building out trays/storage/kitchen for overlanding and need to pick a final fridge config. The dual zones are massive and expensive, it just seems like a PITA to freeze stuff and then to defrost (probably taking up space on the fridge side). What am I missing for the freezer benefits?

Edit: BTW, the fridge power from the rear 12V port is power I ran and is switched, not OEM power.

Ford Bronco Do I NEED a freezer for overlanding? IMG_8539
Sponsored

Last edited:

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

↑ astronaut ice cream

what are your intentions for length of trip(s)? Are you trying to freeze game meat?

Most food items can be safe to eat if kept in the safe zone <40° for a few days (I mean some dry aged steaks are kept there for weeks/months). The safe to eat timetable can be extended if you start with frozen food and let it naturally thaw at fridge temperatures.

all in the pioneers 'overlanded' without freezers and they did ok.

Sponsored
OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sweet, I'm officially an overlander, I have a fridge!! LOL

No game meat. I don't see being off the grid more than 3 days before finding a store/fuel. If I have to choose between beer or ice cream...I'll go with nice cold beer!! Gear, yes, I have a list, need more gear!! 😁

Guess my main concern is that if I'm building a nice storage/kitchen system, its essentially built around the fridge. I could add an inch or two of extra space beyond my current fridge specs in case mine fails and can't get or don't want the same one again.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No game meat. I don't see being off the grid more than 3 days before finding a store/fuel. If I have to choose between beer or ice cream...I'll go with nice cold beer!! Gear, yes, I have a list, need more gear!! 😁

Guess my main concern is that if I'm building a nice storage/kitchen system, its essentially built around the fridge. I could add an inch or two of extra space beyond my current fridge specs in case mine fails and can't get or don't want the same one again.
That would have been my next point; "how far are you away from getting more ice?" (snow capped peaks count too)

you know what I love more than collecting gear...lists about the next piece of gear to collect!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

It's my experience that you don't need a freezer. If you're packing food for more than a few days, freeze what you can ahead of time. That buys you an extra couple days. When we go for more than a few days we quite often plan meals for the later days in the trip that don't require refrigerated food.

Mike T

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I purchased a Bodega AL 40 and it is a dual zone. Either side can be one or the other or both the same. Love the space and used both sides as a freezer when taking homemade smoked bacon to my son in CO from SD. Would of it been fine in a regular cooler yes but it was a nice piece of mind knowing it stayed frozen. Other than that time it has been set up as both sides a fridge.

IMG_3239.jpeg

Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's my experience that you don't need a freezer. If you're packing food for more than a few days, freeze what you can ahead of time. That buys you an extra couple days. When we go for more than a few days we quite often plan meals for the later days in the trip that don't require refrigerated food.
This. If I can keep food cold for 9 days on desert river trips you should be good.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you aren't harvesting ice from local mountains, you aren't overlanding. Heck, if you did not gather those mushrooms off the side of a tree to make a bland tasting soup and instead packed some ground beef that you put in a dometic fridge, you are not overlanding. The spirit of overlanding is in the dysentery. PBJ is an acceptable alternative for all meals off trail.
However, if you feel the need to run a fridge all night, might I suggest a 2 battery setup so you only risk killing the battery hooked up to the fridge and don't find yourself stranded?
Please join us on Facebook at "I came to argue about overlanding" for more tips.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you aren't harvesting ice from local mountains, you aren't overlanding. Heck, if you did not gather those mushrooms off the side of a tree to make a bland tasting soup and instead packed some ground beef that you put in a dometic fridge, you are not overlanding. The spirit of overlanding is in the dysentery. PBJ is an acceptable alternative for all meals off trail.
However, if you feel the need to run a fridge all night, might I suggest a 2 battery setup so you only risk killing the battery hooked up to the fridge and don't find yourself stranded?
Please join us on Facebook at "I came to argue about overlanding" for more tips.
ba2ece380d5875cd79e152d4999da457.gif

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door 2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, how else are you supposed to keep your ice cream solid? 😁
My fridge has no freezer, but a small ice tray section. However I’ve found that almost all ice cream sandwiches and cones fit. Icecream camping is a beautiful thing.
Sponsored