Sponsored

New to off-roading, do I *need* a radio?

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, as I've been making of list of stuff to eventually get, a radio keeps coming up as something I feel like I need. The catch is that I don't have an offroading group yet, and everything is waiting until my 7MT gets handled. Basically, I'm in the thinking about everything phase of stuff.

Do I just call it a day and get a GMRS, probably an MTX575? Or, do I wait and see if I'll really need it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't have a group then I'd wait on a radio. If you do get connected with someone you can see what they use and get something compatible. But if you really just want to spend some money then go for it!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd wait. As you off-road you'll start to learn what you need or don't need, without having to guess and burn money. If you're like me, you might be happy not to have electronics and stuff along. I work in IT, and like exploring the back country to get away from all that stuff.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're going to wheel with other people, you need to be able to communicate with them. Cell phones are not reliable off road. Lots of options when it comes to GMRS, but it's good to have one even if you don't plan on using it. You never know when you need help and a radio is the only thing working. They start around $40, so it's not like it's a big investment.

Even if you are solo, you can monitor the trail in front and behind you. I use mine even when I'm not using it.

Last edited:

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At the Toyota Jamboree last year the GMRS radio's were Mandatory. I knew that ahead of time and bought the cheapest pair I could find. I never figured out how to use them though. I failed to get the required License from the FCC.
https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it
Many handhelds don't need a license. Pretty easy to use with minimal buttons. on/off, volume, channel. Channel 16 is where most people leave it, but most can monitor all channels.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, as I've been making of list of stuff to eventually get, a radio keeps coming up as something I feel like I need. The catch is that I don't have an offroading group yey, and everything is waiting until my 7MT gets handled. Basically, I'm in the thinking about everything phase of stuff.

Do I just call it a day and get a GMRS, probably an MTX575? Or, do I wait and see if I'll really need it?
I don't plan on buying one until I know I will need one. If there's a specific event I'm going to attend I'd expect to see what all the requirements are which would include a radio and, importantly, *what type*. Group rides may also require them but until you know which group you may not know *what type*. There's still a good number of folks out there on CB!

The *first* telephone was useless until there was a *second* telephone. Until I know who I'm calling I don't know what I need. I'm waiting until I actually have a real *need* vs my normal WANT for all things shiny and new.

Scooter2

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250 Tremor / 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Both. Handhelds for spotters and most "pick up groups" still require them, and CB to listen to the truckers on the way to the trail and be horrified at the conversations.

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of good thoughts here! I know there are other things to spend money on, its mostly being torn on the future need/ability, though I'd certainly try using it.

I'm fine with getting a license, and I tend to troll until I find a good deal, so the investment of it doesn't bother me. I have seen a few combo sets with something like the MTX+handheld, which is what I'd get.

Good idea on the handheld, and the combo lets that person you're riding with be the spotter. I also like the emergency abilities, but would have a GPS beacon if I really went out there.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only reason I’d buy a new CB is if you travel on active logging roads that require them. You know if you do. Everything else is GMRS.
Sponsored