T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having used a friends Dometic on a few trips I must admit i like the convenience of a fridge. Things don’t accidentally get wet like in an ice filled cooler.

But the downsides are that you gotta have a battery - which is more money and takes up space. Yeah I know there are ways I could hide a battery, and I’d likely do that if I was 100% convinced the fridge was perfect for my needs. The amount of ice the Dometic produces is laughable. If you want to mix some martinis at the end of the day, well, you’ll get one round. And that’s the issue. It really depends on what you need. And if you need ice, the Dometic won’t supply much.

Of course I have seen people with dedicated ice makers. More gear… yeah!

I do like the fridge though. I’ll keep borrowing my friends. :)
Sponsored

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sweet, I'm officially an overlander, I have a fridge!! LOL

No game meat. I don't see being off the grid more than 3 days before finding a store/fuel. If I have to choose between beer or ice cream...I'll go with nice cold beer!! Gear, yes, I have a list, need more gear!! 😁

Guess my main concern is that if I'm building a nice storage/kitchen system, its essentially built around the fridge. I could add an inch or two of extra space beyond my current fridge specs in case mine fails and can't get or don't want the same one again.
If you precook some of your food and put other fresh items in the fridge you don't need s freezer. If you have kids (ice cream/pops) or need ice for drinks... then you're stuck. I'd stay with the fridge. Good enough for Overlanding IMHO

lairgeral

Base
First Name
Denial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Your Bronco Model
Base
It sounds like you've got a good setup with your BougeRV 42 Qt single zone fridge for day trips. When it comes to overlanding and building out your setup, opting for a dual-zone fridge can offer some benefits, especially if you're planning longer trips or need to store a variety of perishable items.
One advantage of having a BougeRV dual zone fridge is the flexibility it provides. You can keep items that need to be frozen separate from those that just need to be chilled, which can be convenient for meal planning and organization.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Consider forsaking some of your First World Amenities as you escape "the world." Something to be said for roughing it. You manage without plumbing out there, don't you?

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the only way to do it:
Ford Bronco Do I NEED a freezer for overlanding? 1707929701051

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Negative. I keep ice in a 75qt Yeti for 6 days on river trips. Temps are often either side of 100F.

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cracking me up! I opted to stick with the BougeRV. I left it running at 33 degrees after wheeling Saturday, came back Tuesday morning and the Bronco started! Put that $1k for a fridge toward a new suspension, much better than a freezer!

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMPO no. Having owned a full on built expo Tacoma in the past I have no plans to add a dual battery system / fridge to my Bronco.

With proper menu planning and a good rotomolded cooler you should be fine for multi day trips. I’ve had several 5+ day trips in the desert with no fridge.

I gave up on regular ice years ago in favor of freezing plastic jugs. While not perfectly dry, the bottles sweat as they melt, it does keep the inside much cleaner. Plus as they melt I just drink the water.

In other news surrounding cooler management: more whiskey, less beer. Problem solved. 🤪
Sponsored