Sponsored

New to off-roading, do I *need* a radio?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lots of good thoughts here! I know there are other things to spend money on, its mostly being torn on the future need/ability, though I'd certainly try using it.

I'm fine with getting a license, and I tend to troll until I find a good deal, so the investment of it doesn't bother me. I have seen a few combo sets with something like the MTX+handheld, which is what I'd get.

Good idea on the handheld, and the combo lets that person you're riding with be the spotter. I also like the emergency abilities, but would have a GPS beacon if I really went out there.
I keep two handhelds in the Bronco for all kinds of things. Hiking, camping, other vehicles, etc. Also a lot easier to contact someone within radio range for less than life threatening emergencies than activating a GPS monitor. Mine kept me entertained in a 2 hour traffic jam in Yellowstone last summer while monitoring quite a few other people’s conversations, as well as being able to find out what caused the jam. They are useful if you have them, not so much if you don’t.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for handheld GMRS. Mine saved my butt after the wheeling when my tow rig broke down and I had no cell service, I was able to raise my buddy who had gone on ahead.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading your post got me thinking about GMRS, and being a newbie to this as well, I stumbled across this video. Not only is it informative, I quite enjoyed his dry sense of humour throughout.

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I keep a Baufang programmed with FRS/GMRS/weather always in my Bronco and F150. I've not come across a group a couldn't listen to yet. But I haven't been in groups with other freqs/encryption....

Sponsored
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They are cheap enough and easy to use that I would just grab a pair of handhelds.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Midland MTX-500 50W GMRS which I mounted inside my console so it's out of sight and I can keep the mike in the glovebox until needed. It has a stubby 5" antenna which is mounted next to my stock radio antenna which is also a stubby antenna. Also, I have 2 handheld Midland X-Talkers which were given to me at Cruise Moab a few years ago. GMRS has taken the place of CB but it never hurts to have a handheld CB radio as well.
I would suggest getting a pair of handheld radios to start and then decide if you want to install an onboard system later. If you join a club some use HAM radios but you will need a license to legally use a HAM.

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i just watched this video (at 1.5x speed) and it had some helpful information for a newbie like me. Figured I'd share.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed this exact same video was posted above. Thought it was a different one. Oh well I'm leaving it!

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, as I've been making of list of stuff to eventually get, a radio keeps coming up as something I feel like I need. The catch is that I don't have an offroading group yet, and everything is waiting until my 7MT gets handled. Basically, I'm in the thinking about everything phase of stuff.

Do I just call it a day and get a GMRS, probably an MTX575? Or, do I wait and see if I'll really need it?
I've been wondering the same thing for emergency use. I don't think I'll run across anyone where/when I expect to be going.

I've decided on a ZOLEO Satellite Communicator and the what3words app on my phone (what3words.com).

What3words doesn't need a cell connection to work but allows you to text a precise location to someone with the ZOLEO. No need to text GPS coordinates. It can also be useful in town if you're meeting someone. No need for addresses either.

I may also get a ACR ResQLink emergency beacon or something similar incase I fall while exploring on foot.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i just watched this video (at 1.5x speed) and it had some helpful information for a newbie like me. Figured I'd share.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed this exact same video was posted above. Thought it was a different one. Oh well I'm leaving it!

Beat you to it, lol! It is a great video - the guy has quite a few helpful (and funny) videos. Worth checking it out, if you’re new to radios like I am.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was in the "I'll buy it if I need it club" and in only two weeks I've gone to "I need it it club."

A local meet up the weekend before and the Bronco Safari has me looking at which one to buy and the reason I came here.

Kodiakisland nails it, so I'll only add:

After a week of borrowing one and being "that guy" I want one.

After a week of borrowing different radios, each different in quality, age and ease of use or not so easy to use, owning my own is now more important. Knowing what I have and how to maximize it's use, simple as that... and nice shiny new ones are always cool.

If you're going to meet up with a group in your area more than a few times or go the Bronco events, then get a set; or be "that guy" that doesn't have a radio. And that's OK! It Let's People Know You're Not Committed to running trails with others and gives them a heads up on your wheeling experience. o_O ;):unsure:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in the "I'll buy it if I need it club" and in only two weeks I've gone to "I need it it club."

A local meet up the weekend before and the Bronco Safari has me looking at which one to buy and the reason I came here.

Kodiakisland nails it, so I'll only add:

After a week of borrowing one and being "that guy" I want one.

After a week of borrowing different radios, each different in quality, age and ease of use or not so easy to use, owning my own is now more important. Knowing what I have and how to maximize it's use, simple as that... and nice shiny new ones are always cool.

If you're going to meet up with a group in your area more than a few times or go the Bronco events, then get a set; or be "that guy" that doesn't have a radio. And that's OK! It Let's People Know You're Not Committed to running trails with others and gives them a heads up on your wheeling experience. o_O ;):unsure:
Will these be sufficient on trail runs?!

Ford Bronco New to off-roading, do I *need* a radio? 1684159275507

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Climber

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For under $100 , I can’t believe anyone would consider going out alone without an GRMS radio.
I wish you all who don’t carry one continued good luck.
Sponsored