Sponsored

New to off-roading, do I *need* a radio?

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate the continued replies, and I do plan to get one before we go on our road trip later this year. I'll probably go with an in-dash install and have 1-2 handhelds, and have the feeling a few friends might like them since they probably should've bought them years ago.
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why handhelds? For your spotter. You'll always want at least one handheld, even if you have a radio installed in the vehicle.

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After being that guy who had to borrow a handheld, I decided I had to make the purchase. I did a good bit of research and didn't want to break the bank. Two of my criteria were lithium ion batteries and USB-C charging. Landed on the ones below. The hardest part about getting a GMRS license is navigating the FCC website. It's awful.

Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Radio, Handheld 5W Long Range Two Way Radio for Adults, GMRS Repeater Capable, with NOAA Scanning & Receiving, Display SYNC, for Off Road Overlanding, 2 Pack + Programming Cable https://a.co/d/cmbUQi6

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

TIDradio makes a HT that can be switched from ham to GMRS with a button sequence at power up with NOAA and FM broadcast also included with USB-C charging capability. Quite a few GMRS radios do have FM and NOAA and it's good to have not only on the trail but as an emergency backup. I'd say it's worth having something like that for more than just out on the trail.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The hardest part about getting a GMRS license is navigating the FCC website. It's awful.
Being a ham, I thought I knew the FCC website. My last license renewal was no trouble at all. And then con-gress, the opposite of progress, got involved and now the getting a GMRS license and the process of paying for it takes close to an hour, with much switching back and forth between the pay side and the license side. At least the cost went from $70 to $30.

Channels 1 through 22 are shared by the FRS/GMRS services, so a FRS walkie talkie will let you listen or talk to spotters. The FRS radios are limited to a half watt on transmit but the listening part isn't restricted, except by the stubby little antenna.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Radio, Handheld 5W Long Range Two Way Radio for Adults, GMRS Repeater Capable, with NOAA Scanning & Receiving, Display SYNC, for Off Road Overlanding, 2 Pack + Programming Cable https://a.co/d/cmbUQi6
I have Radioddity and have had several issues with poor reception/static and battery life (only a few months old). Even between the two I have, I can have terrible static. About to replace, probably with some Midlands.

One thing no one has mentioned, when you're out on trails, walking them is a good thing to do. Take your walkie. I've walked up to a half mile away scouting a path (which turned out to be trecherous), and had folks back where we started. Just being able to say "We're coming back now" is worth it. Although the in-cab ones are nice, can't really walk away from your ride with one of those in your pocket.

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's your battery life been on these?
I'd say that if it has a full charge, it'll last a good 6 hours or so. I always have all three of them with me so that I can swap it out quickly while on the trail.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I picked up the 2-pack of these at Walmart for $68. There are probably better units out there (with replaceable antennas, USB charging, etc), but I happened to be at WM anyway, and they had them for $12 cheaper than Amazon. They're very user-friendly (no programming or fiddling required), ready to go out of the box (in fact mine came with batt packs fully charged).

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used radios for a long time and I don't have a lot to add except for the thought that you could consider your use case before you decide what radio to buy. Sticking strictly with GMRS as that seems to be the current trend for off-roading, there are really two use cases that I see. One of which is quite common and the other hopefully never happens. The use case most here are talking about are communication between driver/spotter or among a close group of folks off-roading together. For this use case, any of the HTs folks talk about above are just fine. The other use case is the "in case of emergency" situation. For that situation, if you are not with a group, you'll want as powerful a radio as possible with a good antenna. Mobile radios (e.g., those installed in the vehicle) that are as close to the 50 watt allowed limit are preferable. Unfortunately, these usually cost a bit of coin. Something like the more powerful midland or Wouxun KG-1000G Plus GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio (buytwowayradios.com). I've used the latter for many years and haven't been disappointed.

Bareback Broncos

Big Bend
First Name
Mllton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend