Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone,

I didn't see this video posted, so I thought I would share it. It is a video of a Base non-sasquatch Manual Bronco with a lift and the wheels off of a sasquatch model. This model has open differentials. To me it seems as though to get through most trails that are light or medium difficulty, you don't really need Lockers. Of course I don't think you would get through a really difficult and technical trail like the Rubicon, but it does seem surprisingly capable for being the Base model with just having a lift, bigger tires, and no lockers. It did get stuck once in the video but I believe it was due to driver error and getting wedge between two rocks. I would like to hear all of your opinions about lockers and open differentials after seeing this video and if you should get lockers or open differentials and what each would be better in.

Jo

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thatā€™s the why the Sasquatch package is so brilliant from a marketing POVā€¦ it solves a problem we didnā€™t even know we had: no lockers on the trail..

never have had lockers, but have never driven anything off-pavement more than a muddy logging roadā€¦.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thatā€™s the why the bronco revamp is so brilliant from a marketing POVā€¦ theyā€™ve created a problem we didnā€™t even know we had: no lockers on the trail..
Yes it does create a problem because now some people like me won't know if the Off-road trails I will go on will need Lockers at all. Most of the trails I live by and be on most of the time are rated as easy or medium according to AllTrails. It makes me think I don't need to buy anything more than a standard Base model without Sasquatch and just put a lift and Sasquatch rims and tires on it.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes it does create a problem because now some people like me won't know if the Off-road trails I will go on will need Lockers at all. Most of the trails I live by and be on most of the time are rated as easy or medium according to AllTrails. It makes me think I don't need to buy anything more than a standard Base model without Sasquatch and just put a lift and Sasquatch rims and tires on it.
I bet youā€™d be good with base + a/t tires on most trails you encounter. Town and Country Customs has cool video of a base romping around in the mud. The Sasquatch pkg is a pretty legit off-roading kit

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For mall crawling you DO NOT need lockers. If you go off road with other people that have winches, you DO NOT need lockers. If you drive down dirt roads and call that off roading, you DO NOT need lockers. You do not NEED to go down trails where you might need lockers. The vast majority of Bronco buyers DO NOT need lockers. If, however, you want to do some serious off roading, I suggest lockers, air compressor, strap, and possibly a winch. Only you can tell what type of driving off road you are going to do. If you are going by yourself, off road, yes you need lockers, or you may be paying a HUGE tow bill. Have fun. (By the way in some states you DO NOT need insurance, but you are stupid not to have it)

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bet youā€™d be good with base + a/t tires on most trails you encounter. Town and Country Customs has cool video of a base romping around in the mud. The Sasquatch pkg is a pretty legit off-roading kit
Ok thanks for the info. I am new to all of this and heard that lockers are necessary if you plan on offroading when this video shows me different it had me wondering.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. They've only really taken off in the last 20 years or so. Before that only the hardcore really used them and everyone got around ok without. I went out last weekend in the Zuk and no lockers, went places I had no business going, and had a blast.

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
For mall crawling you DO NOT need lockers. If you go off road with other people that have winches, you DO NOT need lockers. If you drive down dirt roads and call that off roading, you DO NOT need lockers. You do not NEED to go down trails where you might need lockers. The vast majority of Bronco buyers DO NOT need lockers. If, however, you want to do some serious off roading, I suggest lockers, air compressor, strap, and possibly a winch. Only you can tell what type of driving off road you are going to do. If you are going by yourself, off road, yes you need lockers, or you may be paying a HUGE tow bill. Have fun. (By the way in some states you DO NOT need insurance, but you are stupid not to have it)
Thanks for your thoughts. I understand what you are saying. I would be buying a Bronco as a dedicated off-roader but most of the trails I would be on are rated as easy or medium according to AllTrails. That is why I have this question. I was told to offroad you need Lockers but this video shows different. I definitely wouldn't be mall-crawling very often if at all. I also wouldn't call a dirt road offroading either.

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty easy answer. You just watched a video of a Bronco doing trails without lockers and making it through the trail. Now ask yourself, and here's the important part be realistic, are you going to be doing trails that look like the video or even easier ones? If so, you probably don't need them. Especially if you're running trails with another vehicle that could pull you out if you get stuck. Going to be doing more difficult complex stuff? Maybe its worth considering.

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
No. They've only really taken off in the last 20 years or so. Before that only the hardcore really used them and everyone got around ok without. I went out last weekend in the Zuk and no lockers, went places I had no business going, and had a blast.
Thanks for the info and the history of lockers. I was wondering what people did without lockers on the original Broncos when they first came out and were new, now I think I know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty easy answer. You just watched a video of a Bronco doing trails without lockers and making it through the trail. Now ask yourself, and here's the important part be realistic, are you going to be doing trails that look like the video or even easier ones? If so, you probably don't need them. Especially if you're running trails with another vehicle that could pull you out if you get stuck. Going to be doing more difficult complex stuff? Maybe its worth considering.
Ok thanks for the info. I don't think the trails around me are much harder but I will do more research and figure out if I need Lockers to run this trails. Sorry to everyone if this has been asked before but I tried to find the answer before and everyone for the most part said you need Lockers.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info and the history of lockers. I was wondering what people did without lockers on the original Broncos when they first came out and were new, now I think I know.
They had a good time is what they did. Detroit lockers and such have obviously been around for a very long time, they were just cost prohibitive for most people and had compromises for on road use. Selectable ARBs fixed the compromise, but at even greater cost. The age of the factory e-locker has us spoiled.

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think itā€™s more fun to wheel without lockers. You have to spend a little more time picking your line, working momentum and throttle to get through tough spots

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You do most trails without lockers, but they are highly recommended. Any vehicle can get stuck, or wheels spinning in mud. A winch is a life saver along with the recovery gear to make sure you can unstuck. I have seen numerous Jeeps with lockers getting stuck or spinning with A/T tires. I personaly drive daily with A/T's, purchased used 35" M/T tires and wheels when I go rock crawling. There will be alot of new Bronco owners with 35" M/T's moving up to 37" or higher. Keep your eyes open.

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think itā€™s more fun to wheel without lockers. You have to spend a little more time picking your line, working momentum and throttle to get through tough spots
I would think it would be more fun as well. I also think it would be more rewarding too since you are getting through the trails with experience and luck, instead of making it easier with a locker.
Sponsored