steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this video showed up on my feed, if you go to minute 4:40 how is that happening without lockers? even if that Cayenne had the optional rear lockers there was no front lockers option. my guess is that the traction control brakes the tire without traction to transfer power to the one on the ground, I am not sure if that is a difficult trail or not for the experts here, all I know is that I am not planning to do rock climbing. Basically my question is if a Bronco without lockers would be able to pull something like that in minute 4:40, if that’s the case I do not need lockers at all, as I am not planning to do stuff as hard as that.
As @goatman2 said, the Porsche has traction control to apply the brakes to tires with less traction to divert power to the tires with more traction.
The Porsche electronics are tuned for off road when you engage 4L. Throttle becomes less sensitive and traction control becomes more aggressive. If you have the active sway bar, it disengages.

He may have had rear locker, couldn't tell from the bits of the video I watched. With 4WD (center locked) and rear locker, you have 3 corners to find traction. Independent suspension, especially front+rear like the Porsche and new Defender, will lift tires. Lockers are essential at that point.
With a beam (solid) axle, as one end is pushed up, the other side is being pushed down. That gives you twice the amount of tire to spread the weight of the vehicle on, increasing the total area of the contact patch and friction.

Slick rock in Moab, although I've never been, is reported to be a high-traction surface.

As for comparison to the Bronco, I've only taken my Badlands Sasquatch out twice and haven't had the time to do a test of the traction control system. It would be great to see how the parameters change between Mud/Ruts and Rock Crawl goat modes, 4H and 4L, etc.
Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350, 2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I didn't see this video posted, so I thought I would share it. It is a video of a Base non-sasquatch Manual Bronco with a lift and the wheels off of a sasquatch model. This model has open differentials. To me it seems as though to get through most trails that are light or medium difficulty, you don't really need Lockers. Of course I don't think you would get through a really difficult and technical trail like the Rubicon, but it does seem surprisingly capable for being the Base model with just having a lift, bigger tires, and no lockers. It did get stuck once in the video but I believe it was due to driver error and getting wedge between two rocks. I would like to hear all of your opinions about lockers and open differentials after seeing this video and if you should get lockers or open differentials and what each would be better in.

Jo

When I was at Offrodeo, at Moab, the people that already had their Broncos, and hadn’t got them with lockers, we’re just sick, and were wondering how big a deal it was to get them after the fact? The people that didn’t have a vin yet were going home, and changing their order to including lockers. If you are going to be off-roading, and like walking, and paying big towing bills, by all means don’t get lockers.

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi everyone,

I didn't see this video posted, so I thought I would share it. It is a video of a Base non-sasquatch Manual Bronco with a lift and the wheels off of a sasquatch model. This model has open differentials. To me it seems as though to get through most trails that are light or medium difficulty, you don't really need Lockers. Of course I don't think you would get through a really difficult and technical trail like the Rubicon, but it does seem surprisingly capable for being the Base model with just having a lift, bigger tires, and no lockers. It did get stuck once in the video but I believe it was due to driver error and getting wedge between two rocks. I would like to hear all of your opinions about lockers and open differentials after seeing this video and if you should get lockers or open differentials and what each would be better in.

Jo

I mean the rule of thumb is lockers before lights.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands