Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, restart is in 4A.
Yes you are correct, what I meant is that even in 4A the front wheels are not always providing traction, the system drives as a 2H and then it switches to 4H if needed.

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would be like saying Scarlett Johansson isn't capable of cooking and cleaning house... Sure, but is that the best option?
Tell me from your experience wheeling gwagens, and/or general 4x4 experience, how is it not a very capable off roading truck? How is it not one of the best off roading options?
Is it the solid front and rear axles?
The ladder frame?
The low range t-case?
The 3 lockers?
The steel bash plates?
The flat sided body?
The narrow and tidy dimensions?
The drive train mounted above the bottom of the frame for protection?
The military pedigree and current world wide deployments by more countries than I can list??
The great visibility from drivers seat?
That every piece of glass, including the windshield, is perfectly flat for easy fix almost anywhere in the world?

It ain't perfect and has it's downsides, like all vehicles, but that's not my argument to make. ;)

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do most need lockers? Probably not... It really depends on what your off-road is. I have lockers in all of my Jeeps and do use and need them. I'll have them on the 6G, but probably won't need them. I'm just not going to do the same obstacles with the Bronco that I do with the Jeeps.

This is called Jackass on a trail called Jack Handle... 6 of us that day and I was the only one to do this, even with 3 other Rubicons on 35's and 37's. Body damage is common on this obstacle. Can't be done without lockers. (well, a winch can do it) :)

I had bent the factory nerf bar on an even more difficult obstacle earlier in the day...

But, how can you wheel like that without a 52” light bar? :ROFLMAO:

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But, how can you wheel like that without a 52” light bar? :ROFLMAO:
My JKU has a light bar and some 7" floods. But it tows my overland'ish trailer and we do some offroad night travel with it. Have to be equipped for how it is used... ;) Still has lockers.

Ford Bronco Do Most People That Off-road Need Lockers IMG_3916.JPG

Sponsored

feralc

Outer Banks
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First gen Cayenne was pretty capable. Porsche went after LR, comparable to LR3/LR4.
It had an optional rear locker, standard center locker and low range.
Porsche entered the TransSyberia Rally 2008-2010 and won all 3.
https://www.thedrive.com/porsche/5943/porsches-cayenne-transsyberia-is-the-best-bug-out-vehicle

Here's my old 957TT and W463 compared to a lifted JKUR on 35's.
1640208034782.png
this video showed up on my feed, if you go to minute 4:40 how is that happening without lockers? even if that Cayenne had the optional rear lockers there was no front lockers option. my guess is that the traction control brakes the tire without traction to transfer power to the one on the ground, I am not sure if that is a difficult trail or not for the experts here, all I know is that I am not planning to do rock climbing. Basically my question is if a Bronco without lockers would be able to pull something like that in minute 4:40, if that’s the case I do not need lockers at all, as I am not planning to do stuff as hard as that.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tell me from your experience wheeling gwagens, and/or general 4x4 experience, how is it not a very capable off roading truck? How is it not one of the best off roading options?
Is it the solid front and rear axles?
The ladder frame?
The low range t-case?
The 3 lockers?
The steel bash plates?
The flat sided body?
The narrow and tidy dimensions?
The drive train mounted above the bottom of the frame for protection?
The military pedigree and current world wide deployments by more countries than I can list??
The great visibility from drivers seat?
That every piece of glass, including the windshield, is perfectly flat for easy fix almost anywhere in the world?

It ain't perfect and has it's downsides, like all vehicles, but that's not my argument to make. ;)
Have you seen her cook and clean? LMFAO.

I am not arguing the capability, but that the Gwagen is a thing of beauty, don't over-complicate this!

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My JKU has a light bar and some 7" floods. But it tows my overland'ish trailer and we do some offroad night travel with it. Have to be equipped for how it is used... ;) Still has lockers.

Ford Bronco Do Most People That Off-road Need Lockers IMG_3916.JPG
Very tasteful. Looks like your ready for Adventure!
Adventure is necessary. ;)

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
this video showed up on my feed, if you go to minute 4:40 how is that happening without lockers? even if that Cayenne had the optional rear lockers there was no front lockers option. my guess is that the traction control brakes the tire without traction to transfer power to the one on the ground, I am not sure if that is a difficult trail or not for the experts here, all I know is that I am not planning to do rock climbing. Basically my question is if a Bronco without lockers would be able to pull something like that in minute 4:40, if that’s the case I do not need lockers at all, as I am not planning to do stuff as hard as that.

You need lockers for a whole lot of stuff other than Hell's Gate on that video. Very small ruts and almost imperceptible irregularities in rough dirt roads can lift a tire or take weight off of one or two tires even if they don't lift, and without lockers one tire will spin. Don't do much, and you don't need lockers. Lots of tempting stuff to do out there, and people you will meet that you might decide to go wheeling with and will need a locker or two to hang with them.

Quit over thinking this and get lockers. 😁

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you get caught in the Zombie Apocalypse, you're going to want lockers. 😁

Sponsored

feralc

Outer Banks
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You need lockers for a whole lot of stuff other than Hell's Gate on that video. Very small ruts and almost imperceptible irregularities in rough dirt roads can lift a tire or take weight off of one or two tires even if they don't lift, and without lockers one tire will spin. Don't do much, and you don't need lockers. Lots of tempting stuff to do out there, and people you will meet that you might decide to go wheeling with and will need a locker or two to hang with them.

Haha that is exactly my problem, I didn’t get the lockers when I configured mine as I completely skipped the off-road add-ons thinking I would not need them, just to realize later that I should had, and I wish I had added it especially as it was a very cheap option ($800)
And my only option now is go aftermarket or do you know if Ford would offer you the OEM locker along with the hero button after delivery?
I am newbie here so I am learning, can you please explain to me how the cayenne was able to pull that incline in minute 4:40?? Does the Bronco has a similar traction control that will mimic that? Thanks

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Yeah, Hells Gate isn't all that difficult. It's just unforgiving if you put your passenger side tires in the wrong place. That Porsche almost showed why.... Have to stay on the right wall for a smooth and uneventful climb.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha that is exactly my problem, I didn’t get the lockers when I configured mine as I completely skipped the off-road add-ons thinking I would not need them, just to realize later that I should had, and I wish I had added it especially as it was a very cheap option ($800)
And my only option now is go aftermarket or do you know if Ford would offer you the OEM locker along with the hero button after delivery?
I am newbie here so I am learning, can you please explain to me how the cayenne was able to pull that incline in minute 4:40?? Does the Bronco has a similar traction control that will mimic that? Thanks

The Porsche has traction control, so brake was applied to push power to the other tire. Bronco does not have low speed traction control, the traction control disengages in low range.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I debated this for months before I finalized my order. I never had lockers before on any 4WD vehicle and I've driven through a lot of snow storms and dirt roads. I opted for the Sasquatch package after watching the king of hammers videos earlier this year. Now that I have had my Base Sasquatch for three weeks I have actually used my lockers three times. The first was in Moab climbing wipeout hill, the second was at Brighton ski resort when I tried to make a u turn on the one way road and got stuck in the fresh snow the plows had pushed to the side, and the third was this past Friday when I drove I-80 over Donner Summit in the blizzard. That rear locker is magical on snowpacked roads.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I debated this for months before I finalized my order. I never had lockers before on any 4WD vehicle and I've driven through a lot of snow storms and dirt roads. I opted for the Sasquatch package after watching the king of hammers videos earlier this year. Now that I have had my Base Sasquatch for three weeks I have actually used my lockers three times. The first was in Moab climbing wipeout hill, the second was at Brighton ski resort when I tried to make a u turn on the one way road and got stuck in the fresh snow the plows had pushed to the side, and the third was this past Friday when I drove I-80 over Donner Summit in the blizzard. That rear locker is magical on snowpacked roads.
Went with Sasquatch on my base. Appalachian snow runner, glad to see this affirmation of my choice. Thanks for the post!!!
Sponsored