Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And, back to the Rubicon trail, in the 90s they were regularly taking stock wranglers over the rubicon, it’s more about; high clearance, rock rails, and disconnecting the sway bar. So, even the base bronco has more capability than your average 4wd vehicle
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I owned a cayenne Turbo 1st gen years ago, it was an AWD with a center locking diff (not front nor rear) when I went to the mountains in the winter it was so much fun to drive in the deep snow, those are basically my “off-road” needs, I might try more challenging things now with the Bronco but basically what a first gen Cayenne was able to do, fulfills my current needs.
I am sure a Bronco is a way better off-roader than a Cayenne but my question is only focused on differentials and how much are needed, a Bronco with open diffs is still better than a Cayenne with a center locking diff? Thanks
First gen Cayenne was pretty capable. Porsche went after LR, comparable to LR3/LR4.
It had an optional rear locker, standard center locker and low range.
Porsche entered the TransSyberia Rally 2008-2010 and won all 3.
https://www.thedrive.com/porsche/5943/porsches-cayenne-transsyberia-is-the-best-bug-out-vehicle

Here's my old 957TT and W463 compared to a lifted JKUR on 35's.
Ford Bronco Do Most People That Off-road Need Lockers 1640208034782

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And, back to the Rubicon trail, in the 90s they were regularly taking stock wranglers over the rubicon, it’s more about; high clearance, rock rails, and disconnecting the sway bar. So, even the base bronco has more capability than your average 4wd vehicle
But please remember they were strapping, winching, and stacking rocks to get through, not just driving. Big difference. Running a trail, simply getting through a trail, and driving a trail while you enjoy the peace and scenery and have fun trying optional lines, are vastly different experiences. :)

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly my original point, at least in the Outerbanks it is a very cheap option and I don’t see drawbacks of getting one “just in case, the only one might be more fuel consumption or higher revs at the same speed due to the lower ratio (4.27 vs 3.73) but I don’t think it would be as bad, you might never use it, but it is always a good thing to have. I wish I had ordered mine with one, a good analogy is like carrying a spare tire, car will have a bit of more consumption due to the weight and you might never use it but it is always a good thing to have “just in case”
Going back to the cayenne example, why those models have a center locking diff and Broncos don’t even offer it? I want to understand the pros and cons of all kind of lockers.
Thanks
The one drawback to an AWD system is when you ruin a tire with 20K miles on it.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone,

I didn't see this video posted, so I thought I would share it. It is a video of a Base non-sasquatch Manual Bronco with a lift and the wheels off of a sasquatch model. This model has open differentials. To me it seems as though to get through most trails that are light or medium difficulty, you don't really need Lockers. Of course I don't think you would get through a really difficult and technical trail like the Rubicon, but it does seem surprisingly capable for being the Base model with just having a lift, bigger tires, and no lockers. It did get stuck once in the video but I believe it was due to driver error and getting wedge between two rocks. I would like to hear all of your opinions about lockers and open differentials after seeing this video and if you should get lockers or open differentials and what each would be better in.

Jo

The same off road obstacle, having no lockers may require higher speed/momentum to get through. That additional wheel spins, higher speed & momentum can lead to higher chance of breakage. So, while it's not needed, it's definitely easier on the vehicle.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you very much for your thorough explanations, it is way more clear to me now.
Basically I think the auto transfer case plus differential lockers is a great option to have, even if you never use the lockers the option to put it in 4A if the road is slippery for $1,600 is worth it.
I believe it defaults to 2H if you restart the car so it is not intended to use 4A every time just like an AWD, only if the conditions require it.
Thank you very much again for your help.
No, restart is in 4A.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do most need lockers? Probably not... It really depends on what your off-road is. I have lockers in all of my Jeeps and do use and need them. I'll have them on the 6G, but probably won't need them. I'm just not going to do the same obstacles with the Bronco that I do with the Jeeps.

This is called Jackass on a trail called Jack Handle... 6 of us that day and I was the only one to do this, even with 3 other Rubicons on 35's and 37's. Body damage is common on this obstacle. Can't be done without lockers. (well, a winch can do it) :)

I had bent the factory nerf bar on an even more difficult obstacle earlier in the day...

Last edited:

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He is beating the SNOT out of his rig...lockers would make that trail much easier.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
glad you realize that now. there may be hope if you see your biases. (y)
You seriously think a G wagon in a capably off road vehicle. Just comical cant fix stupid you have a wondaful day

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You seriously think a G wagon in a capably off road vehicle. Just comical cant fix stupid you have a wondaful day
lol.
you would be in the world-wide minority thinking the gwagen is not capable.
or, you're ignorant about the capability of the gwagen.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
lol.
you would be in the world-wide minority thinking the gwagen is not capable.
or, you're ignorant about the capability of the gwagen.
That would be like saying Scarlett Johansson isn't capable of cooking and cleaning house... Sure, but is that the best option?
Sponsored