First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It does when you add ethanol to the mix.
Ok, educate me. How does the definition of AKI change when using ethanol?

There's plenty I don't know about the world, so some help in understanding how the definition of the octane rating changes when ethanol is part of the equation would be appreciated.
Sponsored

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, educate me. How does the definition of AKI change when using ethanol?

There's plenty I don't know about the world, so some help in understanding how the definition of the octane rating changes when ethanol is part of the equation would be appreciated.
Are you asking me to Google that for you? Because my vast experience in blended fuels and tuning fords apparently isnā€™t cutting it. You can google all that you need to support your position but I assure you Iā€™ve blended, tuned and raced current gen ford vehicles in just about any octane or density altitude scenario you could come up with. I have hundreds and hundreds of log files from many ford vehicles seeing the extent of how the stock computer handles blended fuels itā€™s both tuned and not tuned for. I made a complete video on how coyote engines learn flex fuel from e10-e77. Iā€™ll share that with you if you like.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you asking me to Google that for you? Because my vast experience in blended fuels and tuning fords apparently isnā€™t cutting it. You can google all that you need to support your position but I assure you Iā€™ve blended, tuned and raced current gen ford vehicles in just about any octane or density altitude scenario you could come up with. I have hundreds and hundreds of log files from many ford vehicles seeing the extent of how the stock computer handles blended fuels itā€™s both tuned and not tuned for. I made a complete video on how coyote engines learn flex fuel from e10-e77. Iā€™ll share that with you if you like.
Pretty sure he was sincerely asking for education. Iā€™m watching along as Iā€™m also interested. And I agree with both of you that the OP using ethanol free on his turbocharged Bronco is wasting money and possibly not seeing full power potential that ethanol brings to the table. I know zero about the knock reduction of either though and assumed octane was octane.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, I am not asking you to Google anything. Also, I assure you that I have hundreds of hours dyno tuning and logging forced induction setups (as I used to own my own dyno shop). My tuning has resulted in national championship wins in import classes and SCCA racing. That said, my knowledge base is 20 years old and times change.

So my question remains sincere, how does the use of ethanol change the definition of octane rating?

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, I am not asking you to Google anything. Also, I assure you that I have hundreds of hours dyno tuning and logging forced induction setups (as I used to own my own dyno shop). My tuning has resulted in national championship wins in import classes and SCCA racing. That said, my knowledge base is 20 years old and times change.

So my question remains sincere, how does the use of ethanol change the definition of octane rating?
I mean lets just google that for you then. Took 5ish seconds. Truth is, adding the ethanol will always increase effective octane based on simple preignition resistance. If you see spark knock with 88 e0, depending on how bad you might not see the same spark knock on e10 87. And if you blend up to say e20 87. Thats adding the appropriate measure of E85 to a tank of e10 87 to bump the blend to e20, you will 1000% have more spark knock prevention/protection. Push that to e30 and so on and the effective octane goes up with it. E20 87 is like 89/90 effective octane. Just like E70+ pushed effective octane well over 100. 102-105ish. This is super simple stuff that you as a professional calibrator should know. E85 when taking to the limit might require a much higher fuel volume demand, but compared to similar octane gas like 110, its pennies to pounds better cost to performance wise. Until you get to the limit of E85.

In closing, Ford has calibrated this and many other factory vehicles to run on e10 pump gas. If you run e free gas, you are then relying on fuel trims to continually remove fuel added to maintain stoich. Lets hope a wideband doesnt degrade or go bad which will likely result in a rich condition and engine light along with horrible gas mileage and poor performance. Plus the wasted money spent on e free gas that not only isnt doing anything for mileage or performance, but is also not helping nor hurting the fuel system in any way.

What you should be doing is running 93 e10. This will give you the greatest "pump gas" knock protection as well as give you the most spark you're going to get on that fuel from the factory calibration. And on the chance you will need MAX power and tq, you should add in around 2 gallons of quality E85 then top off with 93 for an effective e20 blend or about 94/95 octane. That should top out what ford allows for spark added in the absence of knock, and will get you all the power your bronco should be capable of making. The vehicle is more than capable of adding a bit of fuel via the fuel trims to offset for the higher fuel volume demand, but you will also get a big octane bump from it without spending a shiteload on race fuel.

Ford Bronco "DO NOT USE 93 OCTANE" ? 1714863793710-hd

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I mean lets just google that for you then. Took 5ish seconds. Truth is, adding the ethanol will always increase effective octane based on simple preignition resistance. If you see spark knock with 88 e0, depending on how bad you might not see the same spark knock on e10 87. And if you blend up to say e20 87. Thats adding the appropriate measure of E85 to a tank of e10 87 to bump the blend to e20, you will 1000% have more spark knock prevention/protection. Push that to e30 and so on and the effective octane goes up with it. E20 87 is like 89/90 effective octane. Just like E70+ pushed effective octane well over 100. 102-105ish. This is super simple stuff that you as a professional calibrator should know. E85 when taking to the limit might require a much higher fuel volume demand, but compared to similar octane gas like 110, its pennies to pounds better cost to performance wise. Until you get to the limit of E85.

In closing, Ford has calibrated this and many other factory vehicles to run on e10 pump gas. If you run e free gas, you are then relying on fuel trims to continually remove fuel added to maintain stoich. Lets hope a wideband doesnt degrade or go bad which will likely result in a rich condition and engine light along with horrible gas mileage and poor performance. Plus the wasted money spent on e free gas that not only isnt doing anything for mileage or performance, but is also not helping nor hurting the fuel system in any way.

What you should be doing is running 93 e10. This will give you the greatest "pump gas" knock protection as well as give you the most spark you're going to get on that fuel from the factory calibration. And on the chance you will need MAX power and tq, you should add in around 2 gallons of quality E85 then top off with 93 for an effective e20 blend or about 94/95 octane. That should top out what ford allows for spark added in the absence of knock, and will get you all the power your bronco should be capable of making. The vehicle is more than capable of adding a bit of fuel via the fuel trims to offset for the higher fuel volume demand, but you will also get a big octane bump from it without spending a shiteload on race fuel.

1714863793710-hd.png
Thanks, but that makes octane a meaningless measurement then. Regardless of blend, the knock resistance of a fuel "should be" consistent. In other words 93 octane E0 "should" have the same knock resistance as 93 octane E10.

If additional ethanol increases the knock resistance of a fuel by 2-3 points, then the rated octane should be that final number.

In other words, 93 octane E10 is not 95-96 octane while 93 octane E0 is 93 octane, they are both 93 octane (AKI).

Perhaps you are suggesting that even though both fuels have the same AKI, that maybe they have different RON and MON numbers, with a bias that favors ethanol blends in some applications for knock resistance, but you really have not made the case for that. Keep googling.

BTW, E0 gas does get better mileage than E10, but E30 (93 octane E10 blended with E85) seems to get me the most power... When I can find E85.

Last edited:

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In other words, 93 octane E10 is not 95-96 octane while 93 octane E0 is 93 octane, they are both 93 octane (AKI).
In theory this would be correct but in actual practice itā€™s not. Iā€™ve seen the effects of running e free 90 vs 87 and 91. Specifically here in my use case, the e free fuel always made less power while picking up knock first. And remember again your stoich is 14.08. E free would be 14.70. So leaving the ford stoich value would mean you are over fueling and then having to pull full out via fuel trims to compensate and keep stoich. You seeing better gas mileage is a complete contradiction to what should be happening.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It takes a higher volume of E to make the same power as gasoline so yes e-free fuel should always get better mpg. (if the tune is spot on) I thought this was a well known fact.
Ethanol has less BTUā€™s than gasoline.

An e85 carburetor definitely has larger jets than a gasoline carb.

Ethanol brings an extra oxygen molecule with it, thus the increased power potential and the need to have more volume to keep AF ratio correct.
Plus the bonus of pre-detonation resistance.

I didnā€™t google any of the above so feel free to correct me.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They way I remember it ethanol will lower charge air fuel temps. This will help prevent knock to a small degree.

Does this change the octane rating? I don't know.

My thought has always been that octane is a measure of fuel resistance to ignite under pressure (without spark).

I'm also happy to learn and to correct my long outdated understanding.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In theory this would be correct but in actual practice itā€™s not. Iā€™ve seen the effects of running e free 90 vs 87 and 91. Specifically here in my use case, the e free fuel always made less power while picking up knock first. And remember again your stoich is 14.08. E free would be 14.70. So leaving the ford stoich value would mean you are over fueling and then having to pull full out via fuel trims to compensate and keep stoich. You seeing better gas mileage is a complete contradiction to what should be happening.
The Bronco running in closed loop is going to pull fuel to make the lamda sensor happy regardless of the fuel. E10 requires more fuel to hit the target lamda number (although it may be represented at 14.08:1 ratio in software, that's not how a wideband O2 works really). The stoichiometric lamda is essentially the same for gasoline, e10 gasoline, E85, and E100 but the amount of fuel to get there is not.

So for example take stoichiometric lamda of 1.00, each has a very different AFR to achieve a theoretical stoichiometric burn.

Lamda 1.00
Gas E0 14.70:1
Gas E10 14.08:1 (going with your number here)
E85 9.76:1
E100 8.98:1

So in order to reach the same lamda value, less E0 gasoline is required when compared to E10 gasoline. This is why E0 gas will get better fuel mileage (assuming that the engine isn't spark advance limited) under cruise conditions.

Feel free to correct anything that I got wrong above.

It's interesting, and I will believe your personal experience, that 87 E10 was more knock resistant that 90 E0 in your application; especially given the 3 octane point advantage of E0 90 gas. Most of my dyno sessions were stuck using either VP race gas or pisswater CA 91, which is an entirely different beast and I have trouble believing that it ever was truly 91 octane, because non-california fuels would always allow me to run more timing than the crap in the California pumps.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Where's the Bigger D!Ā¢k meter? You need one when reading threads like this. Great info hidden behind feather fluffing. I don't know cookie about E-Fuels and read this thread to learn. Good stuff but my BS filter got clogged a few times. :rolleyes:
Sponsored