Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PXL_20231115_233804330.jpg

A more likely location
I had a dash cam mounted there for a couple days and it partially blocked the light sensor on the back of the mirror. I think it made the mirror go in and out of night mode along with dimming the displays. It was very distracting so I removed the dash cam.
Sponsored

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a dash cam mounted there for a couple days and it partially blocked the light sensor on the back of the mirror. I think it made the mirror go in and out of night mode along with dimming the displays. It was very distracting so I removed the dash cam.
Ah yeah, I forgot the mirror light sensor is back there. Good catch!
Weird, it shouldn't have affected the instrument cluster / SYNC; those are handled by the dashboard's sunload sensor.

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This. Is. Amazing. Definitely one of the shortcomings I noted in my Bronco with LUX.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah yeah, I forgot the mirror light sensor is back there. Good catch!
Weird, it shouldn't have affected the instrument cluster / SYNC; those are handled by the dashboard's sunload sensor.
It might have been just the mirror. It was a while ago and I mostly remember being so put-off I had to remove it.

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It might have been just the mirror. It was a while ago and I mostly remember being so put-off I had to remove it.
When my wife gets home, I'll check if the rain sensor sticks down too low in that position. Your dashcam may have sat lower or closer to the sensor, blocking more available light. It's a very basic light sensor so it should be pretty tolerant.
(Of course, the rain sensor is really just a light sensor, too -- shines a light and watches for slight changes from rain on the glass, affecting how much reflects back into the sensor)

I may spend a little too much time with Ford rearview mirrors...

PXL_20231117_150814090.jpg

Sponsored

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When my wife gets home, I'll check if the rain sensor sticks down too low in that position. Your dashcam may have sat lower or closer to the sensor, blocking more available light. It's a very basic light sensor so it should be pretty tolerant.
(Of course, the rain sensor is really just a light sensor, too -- shines a light and watches for slight changes from rain on the glass, affecting how much reflects back into the sensor)

I may spend a little too much time with Ford rearview mirrors...

Ford Bronco [Done] Rain-Sensing Wipers Installed PXL_20231117_150814090
Weaponized autism. I like it.

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a dash cam mounted there for a couple days and it partially blocked the light sensor on the back of the mirror.

Good news, I think we'll be ok. The rain sensor should be high enough to not obstruct the mirror

Ford Bronco [Done] Rain-Sensing Wipers Installed PXL_20231117_205140570.MP

I'll design a printable version of the cover, maybe a little smaller if this is sticking below the factory fritting. Some rain sensors had some extra bit that stuck out opposite the connector, both the mount and cover seem to have provisions for that which aren't needed in our application.

Screenshot_20231117-204239.png

Last edited:

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent job. Love your attention to detail and interest to make it functional and "pretty". Unfortunately I am quite content with manual wipers so this mod probably isn't my thing although I'm sure I'm in the minority.

However, have you considered adding heat to the steering wheel....didn't realize I would miss that feature. :LOL::geek:

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An entire generation that can’t read or write in cursive…. or drive without automated wipers?

Sponsored
OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
An entire generation that can’t read or write in cursive…. or drive without automated wipers?
It's a convenience feature.
Like power windows, push-to-start, power locks, automatic headlamps, e-lockers, speed-sensitive volume, or the way your turn signal cancels after you've completed a turn.

Instead of having to temporarily speed up your wipers when passing a semi or manually doing a single wipe when a passing car kicks up slushy snow, it's a nice little convenience to keep from having to fiddle with the wiper setting every couple minutes.

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a convenience feature.
Like power windows, push-to-start, power locks, automatic headlamps, e-lockers, speed-sensitive volume, or the way your turn signal cancels after you've completed a turn.

Instead of having to temporarily speed up your wipers when passing a semi or manually doing a single wipe when a passing car kicks up slushy snow, it's a nice little convenience to keep from having to fiddle with the wiper setting every couple minutes.
Yeah I was just joking haha. I personally don’t feel it’s necessary for me, but I get that some would. I can still recognize it’s cool regardless of its value to me.

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah gotcha. Just recall something from the last rainsense thread saying "is it really that necessary? Anybody who finds it too difficult to operate the wiper stalk has no business operating a multi-ton machine"

Made some mistakes in my design that didn't affect the end product at all but just bothered me, giving the whole works a test print tonight. New sensor arrived in the mail.

Hopefully printed parts will work, I didn't realize how much tension there is with that retainer trying to fold the mount like a taco. I don't want it to pull the vinyl right off the glass.

Won't really know until a hot summer afternoon, that's how I had to find all the issues with the lane-assist in the Flex

Snapchat-2019767416.jpg

Last edited:

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
All pointed out by a generation that can't see someone else's achievements without having the need to feel noticed by making snarky comments! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Ford Bronco [Done] Rain-Sensing Wipers Installed 1700583221710

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would just like to have wipers in my Bronco that didn't shut themselves off at will..... 🤬
Sponsored