Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great work and something I'll consider. The only real issue i have is with the constant window cracking these Broncos have and this just being one more thing to deal with. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every time I drive in the rain and touch the wiper controls, I think of this thread.

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Certainly nicely done, but I live in farm and bug country. Every time I pass by a field with a huge sprinkler going and my windshield dotted with splattered bugs I am SO glad my Bronco doesn’t have rain sensing wipers to automatically spread bug guts over the rest of my windshield.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a convenience feature.
Like power windows, push-to-start, power locks, automatic headlamps, e-lockers, speed-sensitive volume, or the way your turn signal cancels after you've completed a turn.

Instead of having to temporarily speed up your wipers when passing a semi or manually doing a single wipe when a passing car kicks up slushy snow, it's a nice little convenience to keep from having to fiddle with the wiper setting every couple minutes.
Have human beings really become that lazy?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have human beings really become that lazy?
Says the guy driving a vehicle instead of walking... Seriously, this types of unnecessary replies that don't contribute to anything are getting boring, like a child throwing a tantrum just to get attention.

Sponsored

wisaabi

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Finally bit the bullet and went for the full install.
Immediate lesson learned: The sensor window should've been 31mm, not 35. I'll wait until it's warmer to redo the vinyl. Doesn't seem to affect performance, just results in a silver ring around the sensor when viewed from outside. I also should've had the right edge come down lower to match the factory fritting, but I couldn't tell exactly where it was with my dashcam mount in the way.

Photos in the next post for clarity.

Thingiverse: Printable parts and templates

1) Cut a piece of Oracal 651 matte black vinyl. Either hand-cut using a printed template, or use a vinyl cutter such as Cricut. The sensor window should be 31mm in diameter.

2) Remove the rearview mirror. Thank God Bronco uses a T20 setscrew, I've broken multiple windshields trying to remove the older spring-style mirrors.

3) Thoroughly clean the windshield area with iso alcohol

4) Attach the vinyl to the windshield, ensuring none of the ceramic dots are visible in the sensor window. Avoid touching the sticky side around the sensor since it'll be visible from the outside. It's pretty safe to touch the top half though; that's mostly obscured.

5) Cover the dashboard with an old blanket.

6) Mix JBweld, apply to sensor bracket in a thin, even coat. The single-tube 'High Heat' may be ok for this application, but I prefer the two-tube grey style.

7) Attach bracket to windshield, keyway pointed up, centered on that sensor window. Use tape to hold it in place overnight

8) Prepare your wiring harness. Three wires, maybe 6 feet total length. A Dupont female connector will work just fine. Pin 1 is +12v, Pin 2 is LIN, Pin 3 is Ground. I used Red, Orange, and White/Red respectively.

9) After the JBweld has cured overnight, attach the new rain sensor. I was worried about the metal retainer pressing too hard and ripping the vinyl off the windshield, so I bent it nearly flat to reduce the pulling force. I'd rather the sensor be somewhat friction-fit into the mount than use the retainer to hold it in place.

10) Attach your wiring harness. When the sensor is installed, Ground is to the left, +12v is to the right. Route the wires down the A-pillar and to the fusebox similar to how a dashcam would be wired. I followed the path/procedure used by the IAG interior light kit, though easier options are available. (IAG guide, just follow the parts related to driver A-pillar)
+ Remove hardtop front section
+ Remove the plastic trim piece at the roof panel latch (two clips)
+ Remove two screws along driver rollcage (8mm, where the Bartact handle attaches)
+ Pull trim towards center of car. Doesn't need to be removed completely.
+ Remove A-pillar trim with 'AIRBAG' embossed.
+ Remove dashboard grab handle at the driver's door
+ Remove trim piece between the dash and driver door
+ Sneak wires behind airbag and down to the fusebox area.

10a) Alternatively, just tuck the wires into various trim pieces running down the A-pillar. My dashcam wiring was already taking up that space so I had to do the full method above.

11) Remove steering wheel column shroud.
+ Pull lower panel (the one with the headlamp switch) from the top, it rotates down to the floor and blocks the pedals.
+ Three 7mm screws on the bottom of the shroud
+ Pull on the bottom shroud to start disengaging clips
+ Turn the steering wheel to the 3:00 and 9:00 position to access last two clips between the shroud and wheel

12) Carefully remove some of the microfiber tape protecting the wiring harness leading to the steering wheel. There should be a yellow/grey wire. Remove a bit of insulation, attach your LIN wire to this. For future convenience, I soldered a 6" piece of wire with a quick-disconnect.

13) Provide accessory +12v power to the sensor. I tapped it into my dashcam wiring, which comes off an Add-a-Fuse. I don't recall offhand which fuse it taps into, but there's a plethora of accessory wiring threads on this forum.

14) Reassemble everything, attach rain sensor cover.

15) In Forscan, change the Easymode settings
SCCM: Rain Sensing Wipers [Enabled]
SCCM: Rain Sensor [Enabled]
APIM: Rain Sensing Wipers [Enabled]

The setting can be found on your touchscreen under Settings > Vehicle > Wipers > Rain Sensing.

That's really all there is to it! Total install time was maybe an hour, not counting the time spent letting the JBweld cure.
Took a drive today in a light snow and it responded as expected. When following a car, it'd wipe more frequently. At stoplights, it never wiped because the falling snow was very light.
Do you have a template for the vinyl that could be emailed and printed to paper? I was planning on cutting it out by hand using the cover as a guide but the hard part is locating the hole for the sensor.

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have a template for the vinyl that could be emailed and printed to paper? I was planning on cutting it out by hand using the cover as a guide but the hard part is locating the hole for the sensor.
Thanks, I kept forgetting to finish figuring out the templates. Luckily I found a plugin for Fusion 360 to export the sketches as SVG because Inkscape, Krita, Cricut, and all the rest of the Illustrator-style programs suck.

Templates in SVG format are attached as a ZIP below, as well as uploaded to the Thingiverse page. I'm not an expert on SVGs but it should print at the correct size. The vinyl template is slightly larger than the actual cover by 2mm. I wanted a little wiggle room so the edge of the cover can't be seen from outside.

--

I'm noticing on my most recent install, I can actually see the mounting bracket from outside the vinyl. I think what is happening is, I used the 'steel reinforced' JBweld and the steel particles might actually be pushing their way through the vinyl. The clear High-Heat JBweld might be a better choice. Edit: Or, more likely, I'm seeing little pockets of air as the vinyl gets pulled away from the glass. I'll have to find that happy medium where the sensor is squished against the glass hard enough, but not so hard as to lift the vinyl. That or a completely different bracket that spreads the forcebetter, at the expensive of compatibility with OEM covers.

Ford Bronco [Done] Rain-Sensing Wipers Installed Untitled

This is not the template, just a visual example of the intentional gap between the cover and vinyl. Download "SVG Templates.zip" below for the actual printable files.

Attachments

Last edited:

wisaabi

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks, I kept forgetting to finish figuring out the templates. Luckily I found a plugin for Fusion 360 to export the sketches as SVG because Inkscape, Krita, Cricut, and all the rest of the Illustrator-style programs suck.

Templates in SVG format are attached as a ZIP, as well as uploaded to the Thingiverse page. I'm not an expert on SVGs but it should print at the correct size. The vinyl template is slightly larger than the actual cover by 2mm. I wanted a little wiggle room so the edge of the cover can't be seen from outside.

--

I'm noticing on my most recent install, I can actually see the mounting bracket from outside the vinyl. I think what is happening is, I used the 'steel reinforced' JBweld and the steel particles might actually be pushing their way through the vinyl. The clear High-Heat JBweld might be a better choice

Ford Bronco [Done] Rain-Sensing Wipers Installed Untitled

This is not the template, just a visual example of the intentional gap between the cover and vinyl. Download "SVG Templates.zip" below for the actual printable files.
This is awesome, thanks!

KhoiPhish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Between this and the post about getting lane centering, I'm hoping one day I'll be able to get both of these done to get the full what-should-have-been LUX package!
which post was that?

Sponsored

wisaabi

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Finally bit the bullet and went for the full install.
Immediate lesson learned: The sensor window should've been 31mm, not 35. I'll wait until it's warmer to redo the vinyl. Doesn't seem to affect performance, just results in a silver ring around the sensor when viewed from outside. I also should've had the right edge come down lower to match the factory fritting, but I couldn't tell exactly where it was with my dashcam mount in the way.

Photos in the next post for clarity.

Thingiverse: Printable parts and templates

1) Cut a piece of Oracal 651 matte black vinyl. Either hand-cut using a printed template, or use a vinyl cutter such as Cricut. The sensor window should be 31mm in diameter.

2) Remove the rearview mirror. Thank God Bronco uses a T20 setscrew, I've broken multiple windshields trying to remove the older spring-style mirrors.

3) Thoroughly clean the windshield area with iso alcohol

4) Attach the vinyl to the windshield, ensuring none of the ceramic dots are visible in the sensor window. Avoid touching the sticky side around the sensor since it'll be visible from the outside. It's pretty safe to touch the top half though; that's mostly obscured.

5) Cover the dashboard with an old blanket.

6) Mix JBweld, apply to sensor bracket in a thin, even coat. The single-tube 'High Heat' may be ok for this application, but I prefer the two-tube grey style.

7) Attach bracket to windshield, keyway pointed up, centered on that sensor window. Use tape to hold it in place overnight

8) Prepare your wiring harness. Three wires, maybe 6 feet total length. A Dupont female connector will work just fine. Pin 1 is +12v, Pin 2 is LIN, Pin 3 is Ground. I used Red, Orange, and White/Red respectively.

9) After the JBweld has cured overnight, attach the new rain sensor. I was worried about the metal retainer pressing too hard and ripping the vinyl off the windshield, so I bent it nearly flat to reduce the pulling force. I'd rather the sensor be somewhat friction-fit into the mount than use the retainer to hold it in place.

10) Attach your wiring harness. When the sensor is installed, Ground is to the left, +12v is to the right. Route the wires down the A-pillar and to the fusebox similar to how a dashcam would be wired. I followed the path/procedure used by the IAG interior light kit, though easier options are available. (IAG guide, just follow the parts related to driver A-pillar)
+ Remove hardtop front section
+ Remove the plastic trim piece at the roof panel latch (two clips)
+ Remove two screws along driver rollcage (8mm, where the Bartact handle attaches)
+ Pull trim towards center of car. Doesn't need to be removed completely.
+ Remove A-pillar trim with 'AIRBAG' embossed.
+ Remove dashboard grab handle at the driver's door
+ Remove trim piece between the dash and driver door
+ Sneak wires behind airbag and down to the fusebox area.

10a) Alternatively, just tuck the wires into various trim pieces running down the A-pillar. My dashcam wiring was already taking up that space so I had to do the full method above.

11) Remove steering wheel column shroud.
+ Pull lower panel (the one with the headlamp switch) from the top, it rotates down to the floor and blocks the pedals.
+ Three 7mm screws on the bottom of the shroud
+ Pull on the bottom shroud to start disengaging clips
+ Turn the steering wheel to the 3:00 and 9:00 position to access last two clips between the shroud and wheel

12) Carefully remove some of the microfiber tape protecting the wiring harness leading to the steering wheel. There should be a yellow/grey wire. Remove a bit of insulation, attach your LIN wire to this. For future convenience, I soldered a 6" piece of wire with a quick-disconnect.

13) Provide accessory +12v power to the sensor. I tapped it into my dashcam wiring, which comes off an Add-a-Fuse. I don't recall offhand which fuse it taps into, but there's a plethora of accessory wiring threads on this forum.

14) Reassemble everything, attach rain sensor cover.

15) In Forscan, change the Easymode settings
SCCM: Rain Sensing Wipers [Enabled]
SCCM: Rain Sensor [Enabled]
APIM: Rain Sensing Wipers [Enabled]

The setting can be found on your touchscreen under Settings > Vehicle > Wipers > Rain Sensing.

That's really all there is to it! Total install time was maybe an hour, not counting the time spent letting the JBweld cure.
Took a drive today in a light snow and it responded as expected. When following a car, it'd wipe more frequently. At stoplights, it never wiped because the falling snow was very light.
For, "8) Prepare your wiring harness. Three wires, maybe 6 feet total length. A Dupont female connector will work just fine. Pin 1 is +12v, Pin 2 is LIN, Pin 3 is Ground. I used Red, Orange, and White/Red respectively"

What is the orientation of the sensor and are you reading pin 1 to 3 left to right?

OP
OP
XirallicBolts

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What is the orientation of the sensor and are you reading pin 1 to 3 left to right?
The pins are numbered inside the body, though it's incredibly tiny.
When the sensor is attached to the glass, connector facing towards the roof, the pins are arranged, left to right: Ground, LIN, Power. The connector diagram is pretty vague, so hopefully this is clearer:

IMG_1919.png

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks