Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You should have a noticeably better sound by using a USB drive vs Spotify. The thing to be careful of is the type of media you are using. I had an older 400GB sd card that worked fine in my lossless portable player, but when i tried it in the Bronco, it would get about a minute into a song, then crap out, with songs in a few different formats.

Using a newer card I had sitting around that was a video class seems to have fixed that problem though, so not sure if others have had similar issues, but keep that in mind when testing.
Using a very new and super small footprint 128GB Samsung USB and no issues. One thing that has happened occasionally when playing a song and more often when clicking into reverse is a "brappp" of digital distortion of some sort. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

guest001

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Using a very new and super small footprint 128GB Samsung USB and no issues. One thing that has happened occasionally when playing a song and more often when clicking into reverse is a "brappp" of digital distortion of some sort. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes. Not while playing a song, only when shifting into reverse. And only once. For example, if parallel parking, shift into reverse and get the distortion. But shift back to drive and then back to reverse (like to straighten up), no distortion during the second shift to reverse.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I completed my upgrade with the Memphis MPJ6 speakers for my kick panels - no amp needed these things are great 100db efficiency rating. Need the metra mounting adapters and if you are wiring to factory harness - those also - you will need to drill a hole in the mounting adapter to get the wires inside - for some reason Ford opted for an external wiring adapter on these.

Recap = Infinity Reference 407F speakers all around, Memphis MJP6 in kick panels and Kicker Comp R 8" with a kicker Key 500.1 for the sub. Very happy with the results. maybe $1k all in - self install.
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240316_005305105
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240316_002009675
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240316_001957488
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240311_011040910 (1)
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240309_024739671
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240309_022545623 (1)
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240309_022545623
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ PXL_20240309_151452381

Last edited:

mdube72

Heritage
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
@Ksjrb03
I want to thank you for your write-up and the numerous others here on B6G. I tackled my B&O system this weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. I've been studying for months and finally got everything together.

I went with the JL C1 4" in the dash corners, PRV 4" in the center, JL C2 6.5 Component woofers in the kicks (with the JL crossovers), and Kicker KS 4" in the rear pods. I then added a Kicker Solo-baric 12" (shallow) in a truck box which I modified into a down-firing enclosure (the down-firing version was on backorder). The sub is powered by a Kicker KEY500.1. During the process of installing a Plug n play kits wiring harness at the DSP/Amp I was able to tighten the factory sub enclosure. Mine was barely snug let alone tight, and had a horrible tinny sound.

I initially disconnected the B&O sub but ended up reconnecting and got a little more mid out of it. My only complaint is panel rattle from the B&O sub. When I was testing without it connected there were no discernable rattles.

I'm undecided on the B&O sub. I might add another 500.1 and the Kicker CompR 8". I also have the 1" JL C2 tweeters and mounting plates to try out in the front corners but I kinda like the more 3-way setup I have with the 6.5 woofers and 4" coaxials. The Coaxials and PRV center have a 300hz blocker soldered on.

I knew I wanted a larger woofer but not something to take up half of my cargo space (4 door) and still have somewhere I can set my top halves on.

@Rwhite692
If the bass roll off is there, it's minimal. My sub is set with the KEY500.1 gain tone and I have not added the sub volume knob yet. I don't notice much of a difference between 14 and 25. Without the B&O sub connected, I can go to 30 without any distortion. At 22 the panel rattle is annoying with the B&O connected. I'm getting my signal at the DSP, not it's output.

@zone23
As long as those Kicker CS tweeters do not protrude (manual says they don't) they should be ok. I went with the KS series for more power handling down the road. I'm running in surround mode and certain sounds do come through on the rears. I'm hoping to go to 6.5" pods with mid-bass drivers up there though for more accurate sound stage at some point. Then there will be a multi-channel amp, DSP, etc.

For replacing all of the B&O speakers except the sub, and adding a larger powered sub it's pretty impressive. It isn't the bass of my 20 Edge ST that is B&O plus (2) Kicker CompR 12" on 1000W RMS @ 2ohms, but for 500W and (1) shallow mount 12 it's pretty damn good.

Next up, B&O Bronco #2 (the wife's). Hers may only get the KEY500.1 and 8" CompR in lieu of an added sub / box.

Thanks B6G for all of the insight.
@silentd74
Did you end up leaving leaving the factory B&O sub connected ? I'm curious to how it would do if you left the factory bass setting at flat/middle and added a 10 or 12 inch tailgate sub with the Key 500 amp - the B&O sub in the 2023 seems to behave if you dont jack the bass too far up. More than 2-3 clicks in bass adjustment is too much for it at volumes past 15 -17 it seems

silentd74

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 OBX, 20 Edge ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@silentd74
Did you end up leaving leaving the factory B&O sub connected ? I'm curious to how it would do if you left the factory bass setting at flat/middle and added a 10 or 12 inch tailgate sub with the Key 500 amp - the B&O sub in the 2023 seems to behave if you dont jack the bass too far up. More than 2-3 clicks in bass adjustment is too much for it at volumes past 15 -17 it seems
I disconnected it in my 22 and in my wife's 23. Although the 23 had less rattle because of the revised panel clips, it still got tinny depending on what we listen too. In mine I keep the bass at the middle anyway or one notch below, sometimes 2. I have the gain on the KEY500 a little higher in hers since it's a soft top.

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I want to only replace the speakers and poly fill the stock sub enclosure on my 2 door.

Any speaker recommendations after 2 years of this thread?

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I want to only replace the speakers and poly fill the stock sub enclosure on my 2 door.

Any speaker recommendations after 2 years of this thread?
I think the thread has run the gamut based on personal preferences and budgets. From JL to Kicker to Infinity to Morel to Focal and Memphis to just about every combination between them. Best bet is find someone local who has done it and have a listen - alternatively checkout the sound comparison tool on Crutchfield it does give a decent picture of the various sounds to expect. Keep in mind - don't expect any miracles from the 4" speakers even without bass blockers - they will be bright regardless of which brand you choose. The kick panels can help balance that and then obviously the sub and where you set your high pass crossover - some guys set at 60 or 80hz, I set mine at 100hz and I'm happy - not sure I'd want to go any higher than that else it gets muddy sounding. I have Infinity in all 5 4" locations and Memphis in the 6.5 kick panels and 8" kicker for sub.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ IMG_4932
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ IMG_4933
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ IMG_4935
Ford Bronco B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ IMG_4934

This ended up being a hellacious install. Probably took me 25hrs because I ended up having to pull out my old wiring for my compressor, and remove my tailgate reinforcement and tailgate table to get the new wiring to my compressor as well as the coaxial through the tailgate for the WeBoost antenna. But everything turned out very well and it is all nicely hidden away maintaining a stock look.

I'm going to have to shift the distributor block slightly left because it's blocking the bottom right tab for the little rectangle piece that you can pop out from the plastic panel. So it won't fit flush. You can also see that I was able to barely fit the WeBoost on top of the Kicker Key amp. So that suggestion worked out great!

The sub sounds fantastic and is an obvious improvement. I honestly would say that if you have been reasonably happy with the B&O, you could probably do just to amp/sub upgrade and be totally fine. I will probably still play with some options for other speakers though when time allows. I ran the gain and wave setup on the amp and adjusted crossover based on feedback from this thread and everything sounded fine to me. A bit of distortion once you cross 19/20 volume level.

The one thing I can't solve is that it doesn't seem that the volume knob for the sub we've all installed actually has any affect. The sub volume doesn't seem to go up or down when adjusting the knob. So I may not have something correct. Any feedback on that would be helpful.

Thanks again to OP!

As an addendum, I ended up ordering a second box of Kilmat and have over half the sheets left. If anyone is interested in buying some additional Kilmat, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This ended up being a hellacious install. Probably took me 25hrs because I ended up having to pull out my old wiring for my compressor, and remove my tailgate reinforcement and tailgate table to get the new wiring to my compressor as well as the coaxial through the tailgate for the WeBoost antenna. But everything turned out very well and it is all nicely hidden away maintaining a stock look.

I'm going to have to shift the distributor block slightly left because it's blocking the bottom right tab for the little rectangle piece that you can pop out from the plastic panel. So it won't fit flush. You can also see that I was able to barely fit the WeBoost on top of the Kicker Key amp. So that suggestion worked out great!

The sub sounds fantastic and is an obvious improvement. I honestly would say that if you have been reasonably happy with the B&O, you could probably do just to amp/sub upgrade and be totally fine. I will probably still play with some options for other speakers though when time allows. I ran the gain and wave setup on the amp and adjusted crossover based on feedback from this thread and everything sounded fine to me. A bit of distortion once you cross 19/20 volume level.

The one thing I can't solve is that it doesn't seem that the volume knob for the sub we've all installed actually has any affect. The sub volume doesn't seem to go up or down when adjusting the knob. So I may not have something correct. Any feedback on that would be helpful.

Thanks again to OP!

As an addendum, I ended up ordering a second box of Kilmat and have over half the sheets left. If anyone is interested in buying some additional Kilmat, just shoot me a PM.
The volume knob should have immediate obvious affect. I would double check all the plugs and make sure they are fully inserted. I seem to remember the plug on the knob itself taking a bit of force to fully seat.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The volume knob should have immediate obvious affect. I would double check all the plugs and make sure they are fully inserted. I seem to remember the plug on the knob itself taking a bit of force to fully seat.
Thanks! I'll double check those connections because atm it is neither immediate or obvious. :p

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks! I'll double check those connections because atm it is neither immediate or obvious. :p
Mine is set for bass heavy songs around 11:00 and for those that have a weaker bass line or recording level - up to maybe 2:00. And even within that narrow range it is VERY noticeable. Take a pic of your crossover, gain and and button settings - maybe that will help one of us pinpoint something.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine is set for bass heavy songs around 11:00 and for those that have a weaker bass line or recording level - up to maybe 2:00. And even within that narrow range it is VERY noticeable. Take a pic of your crossover, gain and and button settings - maybe that will help one of us pinpoint something.
I just put the panel back on last night before I saw this. 🤦‍♂️ I did check the connection at the amp and at the knob, and both were tight. But I still need to get under the dash and make sure it's not where the extension cable is connected.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just put the panel back on last night before I saw this. 🤦‍♂️ I did check the connection at the amp and at the knob, and both were tight. But I still need to get under the dash and make sure it's not where the extension cable is connected.
Its working. I did not have a chance to listen last night after I checked the connections at the amp and knob. But checked running some errands today and it’s working. 👍

mdube72

Heritage
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
@silentd74 - What was the RMS rating on your sub ? I see several posts where people seem to be using the Kicker Key 500.1 on the tailgate subwoofers which are rates at 400 RMS. I am looking at the MTI Acoustic with the JL10TW3-D4 as a possible option. I like the idea of the 500 as its small and can fit close to the rollbar in the back - I do wonder if I am going to under power it though.....

silentd74

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 OBX, 20 Edge ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@silentd74 - What was the RMS rating on your sub ? I see several posts where people seem to be using the Kicker Key 500.1 on the tailgate subwoofers which are rates at 400 RMS. I am looking at the MTI Acoustic with the JL10TW3-D4 as a possible option. I like the idea of the 500 as its small and can fit close to the rollbar in the back - I do wonder if I am going to under power it though.....
My Kicker Solobaric 12 (shallow) is 300W RMS per coil, 600W RMS total. The KEY500 is a great match. I do wish I had (2) 12s at times but that's in part because I have (2) Kicker CompR 12s in my Edge ST running on 1000W RMS at 2ohm in a slot ported box. Totally different animal but also a B&O add-on scenario with an AudioControl LC2i Pro for signal.

I wish Kicker made a KEY1000. I have power to run a second KEY500 though as I ran 4ga.
Sponsored