Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here we go!
Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705442640107

We will start with the outers. Overall the Dorman is much thicker and does require some assembly and comes dry(I will use Moly).
Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! au7gaiEdLOM5L0wYMABg=w640-h1137-s-no-gm?authuser=0

The Dorman comes with a drilled stud for use with castle and a cotter pin. I have mixed feelings on castle nuts, for a max strength item I want more thread contact and a solid stud. I do however like the boot more on the Dorman it is thicker but red.
Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! iVJ0kKf1sb4ja4K190cI=w640-h1137-s-no-gm?authuser=0

The inners look the same but definitely different. The Icon in silver and Dorman is black.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! iVJ0kKf1sb4ja4K190cI=w640-h1137-s-no-gm?authuser=0

You definitely can mix and match like the Dorman outer onto a Icon inner.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! td_1vj0ac8lAi4i5Oc6Q=w1072-h603-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Icon is 12mm at the narrowest point

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 9tbyMFELgEASFq1ASadk=w1072-h603-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Dorman is a hair more 12mm

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 9tbyMFELgEASFq1ASadk=w1072-h603-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Then we have the BIGGEST ISSUE with Dorman heat discoloration at the weakest point! Link to some random site so people don't think I being out of place.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705442188626

Icon seems to have a better socket ball design and is much tighter.
Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705442562147

Now the boots! Dorman is by far the best boots I have seen! THEY ARE HOSS 3.0 SIZE! So much more area to grip and even has a slight ridge inside to help stay on the rack. FYI I would run stock boots with HOSS 2.0 steering(rack better have some upgrades).
Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705446971198

Clamps, Dorman provides factory style. I would prefer some screw hose clamps but zero issues with what's provided.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705443360072

Icons in a bag because I don't like them.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705443319280

Take away,

Dorman is right their with Icon, both are near identical. Your ultimately looking at the joints and Icon looks like it has a slight edge. The Dorman joints look similar to lower quality tie rods while Icon is more factory. Also is your not a HOSS 3.0 steering rack you don't want to use the Dorman Boots. The boot adapter has a seam and its plastic which will leak. Icon boots are crappy and I am using the factory one currently(going to put those fancy dorman ones on asap).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here we go!

We will start with the outers. Overall the Dorman is much thicker and does require some assembly and comes dry(I will use Moly).

The Dorman comes with a drilled stud for use with castle and a cotter pin. I have mixed feelings on castle nuts, for a max strength item I want more thread contact and a solid stud. I do however like the boot more on the Dorman it is thicker but red.

The inners look the same but definitely different. The Icon in silver and Dorman is black.

Then we have the BIGGEST ISSUE with Dorman heat discoloration at the weakest point! Link to some random site so people don't think I being out of place.

Now the boots! Dorman is by far the best boots I have seen! THEY ARE HOSS 3.0 SIZE! So much more area to grip and even has a slight ridge inside to help stay on the rack. FYI I would run stock boots with HOSS 2.0 steering(rack better have some upgrades).

Clamps, Dorman provides factory style. I would prefer some screw hose clamps but zero issues with what's provided.

Take away,

Dorman is right their with Icon, both are near identical. Your ultimately looking at the joints and Icon looks like it has a slight edge. The Dorman joints look similar to lower quality tie rods while Icon is more factory. Also is your not a HOSS 3.0 steering rack you don't want to use the Dorman Boots. The boot adapter has a seam and its plastic which will leak. Icon boots are crappy and I am using the factory one currently(going to put those fancy dorman ones on asap).
Nice write up. I actually have the icons sitting at home waiting to be installed.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I really do not like that "heat treatment". That changes the characteristics of the metal outside of design.

I like the Dorman boots but I would trust the ICONs more.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really do not like that "heat treatment". That changes the characteristics of the metal outside of design.

I like the Dorman boots but I would trust the ICONs more.
Pretty sure they welded on the ball instead of forging it as a single part and machine finishing.

Where did you find the dorman ones?

Rockauto was $235 to my door, just googled the part number and they had the best price.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Pretty sure they welded on the ball instead of forging it as a single part and machine finishing.

So probably a friction weld.... but that does change the metallurgical properties when you get the metal that hot. It will regrow some of the crystalline structure making it less ridged and more malleable. Not quite the properties I would think you might want in that exact location.... Maybe I am wrong.... Suggesting it might bend easier but not break quite as easily/dramatically.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Out of bounds a bit, but what are you thoughts on the Fabtech Tie rods?

https://fabtechmotorsports.com/product/tie-rod-heim-kit-fts22349/

All I see is slop! The inner is a bolt through design so you have more stress on the contact surfaces. The socket ball design does a better job of spreading the load over more surface area. You will notice more wear and shorter life. The up side is more strength since the stress is funneled through more steel, that bolt is double shear giving you more cross area strength. The ball socket necks down to a much smaller cross sectional area.

The outer on the fabtech is weaker at the bolt going through the heim. Now we are at singe shear with a small diameter. Stock has is thicker at the single shear and enclosed. The exposed heim will have a short life no matter what you do, fine material will get inside.

Fabtech is not $1000 product, especially if you want stock steering feel. Heims feel sloppy when you have tight steering.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Snacktime : Thank you for the evaluation. I will eventually upgrade my Tie rods, I do not rock crawl in S.FL, but it is on the to-do list.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here we go!

Take away,

Are the Dorman Tie Rods Forged as well?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are the Dorman Tie Rods Forged as well?
Both use cast outer assemblies and most likely forged inner assemblies. Just looks like the Dorman inner started life a 2 pieces and was welded at the thinnest part.

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I bet the ball on the dorman parts were actually induction hardened and then finidhed ground to size.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bet the ball on the dorman parts were actually induction hardened and then finidhed ground to size.
We need a factory tour!

These seem more in line with Dorman with some superficial modifications that really don't add to the structural integrity. Looking at how fabtech put notches in the tie which take away strength and add manufacturing cost. Otherwise I would run them and see how the joints hold up. Icon is probably the most proven non-ford tie rod on the market, I just don't see anything with the Fabtech design pulling me to their product.

Ford Bronco Dorman VS Icon tie rod photos! 1705532978937
Sponsored