Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the problem i have with the vid is that he put a piece of flat lexan on to the cover and didn't account for the internal ribs or, and i am just guessing here but from watching it, it also looks like he didn't account for the actual depth of the flatback cover with the ribs.
Oh absolutely! Its typical advertising from a competitor.
Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
the problem i have with the vid is that he put a piece of flat lexan on to the cover and didn't account for the internal ribs or, and i am just guessing here but from watching it, it also looks like he didn't account for the actual depth of the flatback cover with the ribs.
Also, lets see his with a clear back.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This fully explains why I was able to get 317,000 miles out of my 2000 Explorer and 327,000 miles out of my Expedition without any differential problems with the stock covers….. In spite of what this dink says, the gear oil does flow around the ring gear quite well, in spite of the cover geometry. Sudo experts ….. Climate change anyone?????

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why are you looking on the rear diff cover for the drain plug?

Typically the drain plug on Dana 220's is fore of the axle, below the drive shaft and on one side (generally the drivers side)

Ford Bronco Double check your rear diff factory fluid level. 1651186175578

Via the M220 rear diff on the Ranger:

https://www.therangerstation.com/ra...ana-m220-rear-axle-fluid-change-instructions/
That simple change procedure is handy, do you happen to have the P/N available for the drain and fill plugs which the instructions say to throw away?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That simple change procedure is handy, do you happen to have the P/N available for the drain and fill plugs which the instructions say to throw away?
yup. Just google Dana M220 drain plug part number and you got yourself a dozen options for vendors.

Personally I just reanneal the plug and you'll get 2-3 uses out of it as long as you're using a rosebud or proper torch.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1940’s Dana technology….. A drain in the housing!!!!!

A 1/2” square socket drain plug so the rocks wouldn’t render it un-removable. And as you can see, it’s been over a LOT of rocks.

Check out the gear ratio 43:8 …. 5.375….. A good ratio for rock crawling and winning a ground war (farming?) .

3432F706-8A42-453B-BEAE-C18E1B496687.jpeg

Sponsored

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Long story short the factory fill on my rear differential was 10oz low. Not sure if it was an oversight on the line, QA/QC or dealer PDI. Maybe all three.

Long story long. A couple of us went out to Hackett Gulch (CO) last Sunday with a storm rolling in. It's a difficult trail on a good day and the snow wasn't helping. The lockers on my stock BL were getting a workout and 3/4 into the trail I received an alert to check my locking differential. (This was before getting to the river for anyone familiar). I gave the lockers a rest, the error went away after a few minutes and I completed the trail without issue. Love my Bronco.

As a follow up, today I checked my rear diff fluid. To be honest I was more concerned about the water crossing than the warning light but I'm glad I did. When I removed the fill plug I wasn't met with any dripping gear oil. I stuck my finger in and was eventually able to retrieve some oil. Not milky, so that was good, but definitely low.

Buying a quart of gear oil wasn't as easy as I expected. Bronco Nation provides two spec fluids and capacities for the differentials but they don't reference front or rear. 1) 80W-90 Premium REAR Axle Lubricant and 2) 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lube. Before consulting my owners manual I had assumed the rear axle lubricant went in the rear. Nope, I think it's counterintuitive and it's the hypoid that goes in the rear and the rear axle lube that goes up front. An unlucky draw at the dealership parts department didn't provide any answers(75W-140?!?) so I'm following the owners manual. Let me know if anyone knows better.

Ford Bronco Double check your rear diff factory fluid level. 3432F706-8A42-453B-BEAE-C18E1B496687

Ford Bronco Double check your rear diff factory fluid level. 3432F706-8A42-453B-BEAE-C18E1B496687
probably a good idea to check all the fluids right after delivery

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will prob swap out my rear diff with a cover that allows you to drain and refill without removing it.

RPG has a nice one BUT lots of $$ >> https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/bronco-rear-differential-cover/

Nextventure Motorsports has a cool one https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...o-rear-diff-cover-m220?variant=42344766144748

I’ve never heard of RPG before the Bronco but can’t say I like them as they seem to be charging the Bronco tax for inferior parts with minimal testing
Sponsored