Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I understand a downshift or two coming to a slow offramp down from 70mph.

But a stop sign at 35, normal braking takes about 4 seconds. If my driver is going 4-3-2-1 in those four seconds I'm getting out of the car lol
Yup in town the skip a few applies

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't stand following someone down a grade, and their brake light is on 95% of the time. I don't think a lot of people with A/T realize you can actually downshift them... 🤦🏻‍♂️
IDK what the Bronco does but I just discovered my wife's Edge downshifts itself on descents. It does surprisingly well at holding a steady speed.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IDK what the Bronco does but I just discovered my wife's Edge downshifts itself on descents. It does surprisingly well at holding a steady speed.
My 2.7 bronco will automatically downshift on steep grades. I wish it was slightly more aggressive but I understand why it's not. It will ramp up to almost 3k going down my normal commute.

To trigger it I think you need an actual downgrade and light, consistent brake application.

Sponsored

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has a lot to do with it as well, a lot of my driving habits come from riding.

One thing I adapted to with the bronco is to downshift as I normally would but apply the brakes anyway since the engine braking sucks.
This, I've found that a combination of using the brakes as I'm downshifting is doing the trick. I never downshifted in my '96 Jetta I drove in high school and college, would just throw it into neutral and let it coast, which my dad was constantly on my case about, so trying to be better with my Bronco. I think I also saw that newer vehicles also get better MPG when you're in gear - ie there isn't any savings if you're going downhill and coasting in neutral - which is making me inclined to keep it in gear whenever possible.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
On a four speed, I would likely downshift from 4-3-2-1.

On a five speed, I'll almost always skip either 4 or 3.

Obviously I don't have my Bronco yet, since Ford is bad at actually building vehicles, but I can't imagine going 6-5-4-3-2-1, too many gears, too close together, and you will barely get any engine braking.

6-4-2-1 is more likely, and 1 is so low I'm probably going to start in 2nd at most stop signs like I had to do with my 69 F-150.

I think the Bronco in 2nd is geared steeper than my Mustang in 1st, and I have to shift the 'Stang out of 1st before I clear the crosswalk at most intersections.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Using all gears to go back down is insane lol.

Using all to go down? I guess it depends on how slow I'm slowing. Sometimes using all or several is called for, and sometimes it's not. Or, sometimes the transmission decides things for you. The MT in my Tacoma doesn't synchronize 5-1 or 4-1, but needs to go into second and then slips easily into first.

I don't need every gear going down, but guess what? I don't need every gear going up either. My dog loves to lay her head on the shift boot in my Tacoma and takes away 2nd and 4th. Not a problem. I can still do 1-3-5.

The biggest reason I love a MT is I get to decide what I do, when I do it, and why. There are no rules other than get where you are going in the way you want to do it.

But coasting in neutral as a general rule? Nope. Not a coaster. But maybe sometimes. Depends on what I'm doing.

Tend to rarely use my top gears either. 6th is a waste on my Bronco. I used it once to make sure it worked. Same with 6th on my Indians. I like to be in the power band no matter what I'm driving and would much rather have too many RPMs than lug an engine.

Honestly though, most of the time I have no idea what I do. I just do it without thinking about it and don't pay that much attention to it. Muscle memory takes over and lets me worry about other things, like tuning some tunes on these crappy speakers. Kinda like getting behind a 3 on the tree after it's been years and I don't have to think about what I'm doing or double clutching a 60 year old unsynchronized one ton.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was taught you should not just pop it in neutral and coast all the way to the stop.
Down shifting ensures you stay in the proper rpm band if you need to quickly accelerate for some reason. Sure you can look at your speed and know which gear you'll need to be in but that takes time. In an emergency you may need that power immediately to avoid an accident.
The being slowed down by the engine and a little less wear on the brakes is a side benefit, not the ultimate goal.
At least that's what I was taught.
this Is exactly how I learned and still drive. It’s all about always being in gear and at the right RPM, not saving brake pads.

I’m rev matching on downshifts for smooth transitions and will downshift to any gear depending on speed and engine speed. Rarely downshift into 1st except for maybe the slowest of traffic jams. I almost never coast in neutral but always put in neutral at a stop. I learned to keep foot off the clutch. Clutches are more expensive than brake pads.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been favorably, and surprisingly, impressed that the pedal placement in B6G is actually pretty good for heel-n-toe’ing.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This, I've found that a combination of using the brakes as I'm downshifting is doing the trick. I never downshifted in my '96 Jetta I drove in high school and college, would just throw it into neutral and let it coast, which my dad was constantly on my case about, so trying to be better with my Bronco. I think I also saw that newer vehicles also get better MPG when you're in gear - ie there isn't any savings if you're going downhill and coasting in neutral - which is making me inclined to keep it in gear whenever possible.
Yes in gear while coasting the vehicle will go into decel fuel shut off (DFSO pronounced difso). Because the road load through the driveline can keep the engine spinning so fuel is cut off from the injectors so you’re getting infinite MPG.

Coasting in neutral fuel needs to remain on to keep the engine spinning.

Srt-cuatro

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Engine braking is affected by the mode you are in. Sport mode with MT behaves the most "normal" with the highest engine braking. I noticed the same thing in my other drive by wire vehicles (WRX STI and Camaro SS 1LE).

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I downshift to control speed on decents or similar but that is about it. Service brakes are a lot easier to replace than a clutch. Downshifting for just around town driving is not required. Just use compression braking for whatever gear you're in until the RPMs get too low then pop the clutch in and come to a stop.

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond, 1923 Model T Racer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So it’s been a while since I’ve driven a manual, never a modern one.

I find that the bronco likes steady; smooth operation of the clutch. Too fast it jerks. It also doesn’t like to accelerate quickly due to having to clutch quickly. The RPMs just don’t seem to come down fast enough. Like the manual says shift out at 3k for eachgear, but if you shift out at 3k in 1st, 2nd seems like it likes to start at 1.5 or so…so it’ll jerk. But if you clutch out at 2.5k, smooth as silk.

I’m still trying to get the hang of it. The auto throttle thing is helpful and a bad habit former I think. I noticed sometimes it gives enough, sometimes it doesn’t…so always best just to give a little throttle.

When coming to a stop, I stay in whatever gear I’m in until almost 1k, then shift to 2nd if turning right and 3rd usually if left. Coming to stop, same thing stay in gear until 1kish, then into neutral if at red light; stop sign usually 1st or 2nd if I’m rollin it lol. Coming into a slower speed limit or getting off highway, I slow down with brakes or let it slow down on its own; and I’ll downshift when it reaches 1.3 or so just depends, rev matching if needed. I really need to get better at downshifting before turning as I’m in the habit now of (if turning right per ce) brake to 1kish -> shift into 2nd which is usually right at turn -> end up releasing clutch thru turn smoothly -> accelerate.

I know doing that isn’t good especially if raining but I just gotta get in habit of releasing clutch before turning there won’t be any difference.

ALSO, something I noticed. Rev matching can be a little annoying. I think maybe it’s turbo lag? But if you downshift and need to rev match, sometimes you can’t just tap the throttle cause you won’t get the revs. You gotta kind of hold it there longer than you think you should and it works fine. Idk maybe that’s just me. 🤷‍♂️😂
Sponsored