Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

given there is no center differential to get over a set of 33”s would have similar clearance to a set of 37”s on a normal vehicle. The Rivian already has 34” stock. Not sure what the 37”s would give you.
MORE...
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m mixed on this. With the level these vehicles are computerized I’m in the camp of looking for a 60’s-70’s Bronco. I can’t be the only one concerned about how automated these vehicles are… right?
What's the concern with computers?

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What's the concern with computers?
dont get me wrong I’m not technologically inept, but I’ve already replaced the PCM. For a few weeks the only way I could turn off my MT was to stall the engine. To an extent I miss the battery/alternator/starter not being dependent on a smart chip.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

dont get me wrong I’m not technologically inept, but I’ve already replaced the PCM. For a few weeks the only way I could turn off my MT was to stall the engine. To an extent I miss the battery/alternator/starter not being dependent on a smart chip.
In almost 30 years of car ownership with PCMs in them, I have yet to have a major failure. Not to say they don't happen, but in the grand scheme of things, its not as common as you think it is.

I get you had it happen to you and its "worst thing ever or whatever" but often just having one thing happen to you with a car (any car) makes that person never want to buy that brand again, but yet when they move to another brand (like Toyota/Honda, who they've heard is "perfect") and it has an issue, people start having cognitive dissonance.

I guess I've been "lucky"....out of all my new cars I've bought or my wife has bought, I've only had one major POS in that time and the other where either good or great.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a trade-off. Today's vehicles are more reliable but can be tougher to fix when they do break down

Sponsored

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In almost 30 years of car ownership with PCMs in them, I have yet to have a major failure. Not to say they don't happen, but in the grand scheme of things, its not as common as you think it is.

I get you had it happen to you and its "worst thing ever or whatever" but often just having one thing happen to you with a car (any car) makes that person never want to buy that brand again, but yet when they move to another brand (like Toyota/Honda, who they've heard is "perfect") and it has an issue, people start having cognitive dissonance.

I guess I've been "lucky"....out of all my new cars I've bought or my wife has bought, I've only had one major POS in that time and the other where either good or great.
I get it and that’s the reason I keep buying Ford’s. My last vehicle drove for me, it doesn’t mean I don’t see the benefits of technology…it just means simple is an option too.

CAoverlander

Wildtrak
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Too heavy IMO, I use my rig to spend 7+ days out at a time, in places with zero infrastructure, It just doesn't work with how I use it. I only come into town to fill up water and my cooler, then I am out again.

c72k

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BTW, the more complicated a machine is the less reliable it is. I’d take a 4 liter aluminum short stroke V8 way before a twin turbo v6. I don’t know of one NA V8 that blew a $2500 turbo.
You probably also prefer a carb rather than injectors, right?

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me paint a picture here for you: You pull up to the grocery store, hop out of your Bronco (doors and top off), and run in to grab a gallon a milk or whatever, you're only going to be in there for like 2 minutes. When you come back out your Bronco is long gone. Now you didn't want technology, so you don't have GPS to track it and your starter/battery not being dependent on a smart chip means you have no anti-theft built in, gone in 60 seconds....

The assholes in society ruin shit for the rest of us, there is no doubt.

That being said, with technology brings feature rich comfort. I grew up in the internet age (I'm 37) so I embrace any and every piece of technology possible. I stand firmly in the camp that I don't think they put enough technology in my LUX Bronco. Among other things, I want a memory seat with AC (swamp-ass is not a measure of manliness).

If I wanted to drive something without technology I would have bought another Early Bronco. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEDDD my 75, I regret selling it every time I think about it. If I would have kept it though, I would have resto-moded it. It would have had a fuel infected engine, AC,...

Last edited:

Sponsored

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let me paint a picture here for you: You pull up to the grocery store, hop out of your Bronco (doors and top off), and run in to grab a gallon a milk or whatever, you're only going to be in there for like 2 minutes. When you come back out your Bronco is long gone. Now you didn't want technology, so you don't have GPS to track it and your starter/battery not being dependent on a smart chip means you have no anti-theft built in, gone in 60 seconds....

The assholes in society ruin shit for the rest of us, there is no doubt.

That being said, with technology brings feature rich comfort. I grew up in the internet age (I'm 37) so I embrace any and every piece of technology possible. I stand firmly in the camp that I don't think they put enough technology in my LUX Bronco. Among other things, I want a memory seat with AC (swamp-ass is not a measure of manliness).

If I wanted to drive something without technology I would have bought another Early Bronco. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEDDD my 75, I regret selling it every time I think about it. If I would have kept it though, I would have resto-moded it. It would have had a fuel infected engine, AC,...
im saying this to be sarcastic…I’d put my “Club” steering wheel lock on. Lol.

That being said I see your point for technology and appreciate it. I have both types of vehicles. When my PCM went out the parking brake would disengage sporadically (in an MT), none of the features would work consistently, and constant warnings. I’m old enough to have experienced both sides. SWASS is part of having a vehicle that goes topless imo.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No way. Not practical and in the winter in the north and summer in the south range is limited at best. Also if you get stuck in a traffic jam in said conditions you can just pull over and abandon your vehicle. They’re already asking Tesla owners not to charge their vehicles due to grid constraints and strain. I will pay $10 a gallon or more before I ever get a E bronco

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No way. Not practical and in the winter in the north and summer in the south range is limited at best. Also if you get stuck in a traffic jam in said conditions you can just pull over and abandon your vehicle. They’re already asking Tesla owners not to charge their vehicles due to grid constraints and strain. I will pay $10 a gallon or more before I ever get a E bronco
Oh boy someone has no clue as to how this works.

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs