DGE1993

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Mustang; '06 F-150; '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you stayed with the same gear ratio but with the E-Locker?
Yep! The E-locker was something I wanted since I saw my sisters F150 with a factory locker. If Ford would have let you order it on any package/config of Bronco like they did the F150 I would have got it at the factory.
Sponsored

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OK, you are now my new HERO!!
I have wanted to do this ever since I discovered the Ford Performance Parts complete 4.46 e-locker rear axle assembly!!!
Thank-you & keep us posted how it is doing?

OP
OP
DGE1993

DGE1993

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have wanted to do this ever since I discovered the Ford Performance Parts complete 4.46 e-locker rear axle assembly!!!
It has seen about three hundred miles so far and a day of trail use including a deep creek crossing without any issues. With Ford setting them up at the factory, hopefully there won't be any issues in the future lol.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you get time, can you elaborate as to how you wired up the locker to Aux # 6?
How much wire did you use, where did you ground it, did you run the wires all the into the engine bay & attach, or did you use the remote wire located in the passenger rear wheel well?
I am very interested to hear more when you have time.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a used locked rear 4.46 for sale on here. If you're interested 😉

Sponsored

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats on completing this upgrade. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tx - what if you have an auto?
You have less fun.

But really, you might be out of luck if you have 3.73. I can't recall what the highest ratio locking rear is off hand, 4.27?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
DGE1993

DGE1993

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you get time, can you elaborate as to how you wired up the locker to Aux # 6?
How much wire did you use, where did you ground it, did you run the wires all the into the engine bay & attach, or did you use the remote wire located in the passenger rear wheel well?
I am very interested to hear more when you have time.
I ended up running the positive and ground wire all the way from the engine bay down the frame to the rear axle following the existing harness the best I could. Being a two door I would guess I used 20 feet of wire plus or minus some.

I installed a grommet to protect the wire coming through the metal hole, and the rest is incased in plastic wire loom to keep it safe.
Ford Bronco ELD Swap: My Journey to E-Locker Heaven -- Installation on Base Bronco (DIY + Photos) PXL_20230331_183959682

Down the firewall to along the frame.

Ford Bronco ELD Swap: My Journey to E-Locker Heaven -- Installation on Base Bronco (DIY + Photos) PXL_20230331_184011456

Up and over in the rear still somewhat following the original harness.
Ford Bronco ELD Swap: My Journey to E-Locker Heaven -- Installation on Base Bronco (DIY + Photos) PXL_20230331_184020742

Still following the original loom, but here is where I installed the heat shielding like Ford does from the Factory.

Ford Bronco ELD Swap: My Journey to E-Locker Heaven -- Installation on Base Bronco (DIY + Photos) PXL_20230331_184055060

Final curl into the axle.

Ford Bronco ELD Swap: My Journey to E-Locker Heaven -- Installation on Base Bronco (DIY + Photos) PXL_20230331_184102862

I put my suspension through the full range of motion and never had any tension on the wire or pinch points.

I originally though of using the factory wire ran to the rear of the cabin, but didn't know if there was a pass through to get it out and under to the axle.

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is a good review. I want to do this but I have 3.73 gears and everything is welded... sooo I have to do front and rear :(

NatureBoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Finally…….I have been waiting a long time for something like this. Before I even got this thing, I have been scouring the net on how I can achieve this upgrade. First it was the ARB air locker, but the welded parts was the hurdled. Then Tom’s Off-road announced the Ultimate Dana 60, but that thing is not cheap….
I did not even know Ford offered this as an option and am kicking myself for not thinking to simply see if I could get the locked rear axle assembly from Ford.

Thanks again for posting this. I really wish they did allow us to award posts and not just simply “like” because this is a big community contribution.

OP
OP
DGE1993

DGE1993

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
tx - what if you have an auto?
You can use this chart to see which axle you have and try to find a locker of the same ratio. If there isn't one available in you gearing you would also have to redo the front axle to match the rear.

axle-type-png.png

Side note about this chart that has been floating around in quite a few spots, it is actually wrong when it comes to the 4.46 ratio. "4L" should be listed as the locking diff and "46" should be listed as the open.
Sponsored