Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did the brake controller dial light up with the trailer attached?

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Did the brake controller dial light up with the trailer attached?
No, but does not need to being the dial button with the numbers sets the energy level and its really noticeable. Meaning you do not even need to be fixated on the number you just feel the brakes on the trailer grabbing to your comfort level.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@HotdogThud Is this what you did?
Yep, went with the ford oem brake controller at 3x the price of something aftermarket, just to maintain the factory look on the interior. And to it's credit, it works great. The truck immediately picks up that the controller is installed, and disabled all the reverse safety systems once something plugged in. I also have the kicker amp installed under the steering column, so I went with the oem location behind the glove box, in comparison to OP

I just towed my camper from Phoenix to Payson and back (about a 4500ft climb and descent) and it did just fine. It auto-adjusted and I pretty much didn't have to do anything.

For the curious, towing up the hill, I got about 12 mpg, and the 2.3 had zero issues pulling my 3000 lb trailer up 6% grades. Coming back down the hill, I got about 17 mpg

@WingedBronco it doesn't light up when something's plugged in, but it does when you're engaging the brakes themselves.

the setup in question:

Ford Bronco Electric Trailer Brake Controller From Ford Accessories - DIY Install Video 1649023890432

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep, went with the ford oem brake controller at 3x the price of something aftermarket, just to maintain the factory look on the interior. And to it's credit, it works great. The truck immediately picks up that the controller is installed, and disabled all the reverse safety systems once something plugged in. I also have the kicker amp installed under the steering column, so I went with the oem location behind the glove box, in comparison to OP

I just towed my camper from Phoenix to Payson and back (about a 4500ft climb and descent) and it did just fine. It auto-adjusted and I pretty much didn't have to do anything.

For the curious, towing up the hill, I got about 12 mpg, and the 2.3 had zero issues pulling my 3000 lb trailer up 6% grades. Coming back down the hill, I got about 17 mpg

@WingedBronco it doesn't light up when something's plugged in, but it does when you're engaging the brakes themselves.
Good info and thats awesome numbers fuel mileage. Thanks for watching and weighing in your experiences.

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would be great if we could get a 7-pin harness in a 2022 Bronco. If you want 22 you need to install your own 4-pin.
Thus no trailer brake.
We are screwed by Ford again.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve asked on multiple threads and received no answer about the light on the knob. Based on my experience and yours it looks like it does not light up (even with trailer connected) unless you push in on the knob. This contradicts what the user manual indicates and also differs from how the non Ford OEM version of the RedArc Tow Pro Elite works. Very confusing.

Bemcnamara

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F56S MINI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This would be great if we could get a 7-pin harness in a 2022 Bronco. If you want 22 you need to install your own 4-pin.
Thus no trailer brake.
You get the 7pin if you opted for the factory tow.

Sponsored

Fordtorino93

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thus no trailer brake.
You can build your own harness I'm waiting on a few pins but I will have all factory features of the 7 pin when done. These connectors are behind the drivers fender, 5 wires go to the lower conector and one goes to the upper connector. I have my harness built minus 4 pins for the lower connector. You will also need the trailer control module and forscan to activate it but the wires for the module is in the rear driver side of the cargo area and the brake controller plug is under the dash on driver side. Once complete ill get better photos.
20220403_112806.jpg

20220403_110715.jpg

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes I did it and am posting a tow review here shortly as well.
Your outside mirrors....did you put the magnifying convex mirror section on? My 2021 has the upper outside corner with the built in convex bit like my F150.

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Your outside mirrors....did you put the magnifying convex mirror section on? My 2021 has the upper outside corner with the built in convex bit like my F150.

Ford Bronco Electric Trailer Brake Controller From Ford Accessories - DIY Install Video IMG_4562.JPG

Ford Bronco Electric Trailer Brake Controller From Ford Accessories - DIY Install Video IMG_4562.JPG
Yes I love those spot mirrors.

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You ordered the tow package on 2022, but you didn't get the tow mirrors?
Not sure being my mirrors do not have the upper left spot mirrors. I added my own and nit a big deal. But can’t answer why my mirror is different being I ordered the tow package.
Ford Bronco Electric Trailer Brake Controller From Ford Accessories - DIY Install Video 518F2DA9-5AA8-4480-AB7E-B5EC27DE3326
Sponsored