Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By the way, not sure if you know this, but if you find the speaker to be too muffled in the center console you can actually change a setting to have the audio come out of the hand mic.

After offroading with this setup a bit I found it necessary to start utilizing the hand mic speaker. It just wasn't loud enough inside that console.
I like having both speakers on. The larger (but slightly muffled) head unit speaker still adds some depth to the hand mics tinniness
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like having both speakers on. The larger (but slightly muffled) head unit speaker still adds some depth to the hand mics tinniness
Same here

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am really not sure if it will power down without the hand mic plugged in.

But here is one thing to consider. If you wire directly to the battery, you are going to HAVE to power down or unplug the mic every time you use it. If you forget, it is going to drain your battery.

The AUX switches are powered with the ignition switch. For that reason alone, I chose the AUX switch. Didn't want to rely on my memory lol
I checked with Midland and they said the power will go down automatically if you unplug the mic regardless if it on or off. Your point is still valid about keeping it on incidentally if it's connected to a battery directly.

Speaking of the AUX. As they have different amps, can I use any of those or should I use specific? Do you know?

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I checked with Midland and they said the power will go down automatically if you unplug the mic regardless if it on or off. Your point is still valid about keeping it on incidentally if it's connected to a battery directly.

Speaking of the AUX. As they have different amps, can I use any of those or should I use specific? Do you know?
Since I’m using the 575 which I think draws very close to 10 A, I went with aux switch #2 which is 15A. If you’re using the 275 that’s lower amperage and you could probably go with any of the last four switches.

Last edited:

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I’m using the 575 which I think draws very close to 10 A, I went with ox switch number two which is 15 A. If you’re using the 275 that’s lower amperage and you could probably go with any of the last four switches.
Thanks. I have 575

Sponsored

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I’m using the 575 which I think draws very close to 10 A, I went with ox switch number two which is 15 A. If you’re using the 275 that’s lower amperage and you could probably go with any of the last four switches.
Midland: Per our engineering team: Standby mode, when the MXT575 is on and not receiving, is 300 mA max. The base will power down, to 8 mA max state, if the microphone is unplugged

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I’m using the 575 which I think draws very close to 10 A, I went with aux switch #2 which is 15A. If you’re using the 275 that’s lower amperage and you could probably go with any of the last four switches.
I checked with Midland they said it draws 15A, so I can connect it to 1 or 2, correct? I could use higher but not lower?

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I checked with Midland they said it draws 15A, so I can connect it to 1 or 2, correct? I could use higher but not lower?
#2 is 15A and #1 is 30A if I remember correctly

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have nothing to use it for. And I want to keep devices in a specific order. I can save it for anything else in the future, but I have no idea what it could be.
OK, that's one of the more interesting reasons I've heard, but it's your truck so cool! Yes, then, in answer to your original question you can certainly wire up a device with a 15A requirement to a 30A circuit. It's really overkill but at this stage with you not having identified a 30A need you aren't losing anything and down the road you can always move it should the need arise.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what's different between the actual switches? I mean did Ford actually use different wire gauges for each one? That seems like that would be a lot of trouble to go through.

Or did they just simply put some fuses in with different ratings that you could actually swap around or adjust as needed?

Just seems odd that besides the different ratings of the fuses, Ford would have gone through the trouble of installing different rated switches and different guage wires.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what's different between the actual switches? I mean did Ford actually use different wire gauges for each one? That seems like that would be a lot of trouble to go through.

Or did they just simply put some fuses in with different ratings that you could actually swap around or adjust as needed?

Just seems odd that besides the different ratings of the fuses, Ford would have gone through the trouble of installing different rated switches and different guage wires.
Looks like they use the same wire for 15 and 30.

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 6.09.23 AM.png

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks like they use the same wire for 15 and 30.

Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 6.09.23 AM
Wow.. I'm so surprised that info was available (and that ford actually went through the trouble of installing different gauges)...saving that pic thanks!

But back to the item at hand, it would seem then that Aux 2 may be able to support higher amps (But I guess that may depend on how long the wire is).
Sponsored