First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove one of the last manual-transmission Subaru Legacy models, which was also the first to have the EPB. Seem to recall if you applied the EPB but then let out the clutch while in gear, it would release the parking brake, effectively serving as a hill-start aid. I kinda liked that.
If I remember correctly I had an Audi that did that, dual clutch transmission not a stick but if you put it in drive it stayed on, it wasn't until you have it some throttle is kicked off and let you drive away.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most electronic parking brakes require you have the brake depressed when engaging or disengaging. So unless your dog is a Great Dane with incredible dexterity, you're fine.
winner winner chicken dinner. don't know why this wasn't mentioned in the first page of the thread.

pretty much anything electronic needs some sort of trigger to activate it. just like how you can't change an automatic car from park to drive without hitting the brake and/or the button on the selector. FCA has had recalls for this. My brother has or had it on his ram diesel. something along the lines of when you put the car in park, it might not stay locked in park and could move into neutral/out of gear and car can roll.

"
Recall Number
14V161000
Recall Date
04/01/2014
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 vehicles manufactured January 24, 2014, through February 5, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the transmission case may have been improperly machined which can result in the park pawl not properly engaging when the transmission is in the 'Park' position.

Consequence
If the park pawl does not properly engage, the vehicle may rollaway, increasing the risk of a crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries.
What Owners Should Do
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the transmission, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on May 21, 2014. Owners may contract Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P13.
"

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In my experience there’s no shame in embracing technology.

I race a motorcycle that doesn’t even have a tachometer, but that doesn’t make me worth any more damns than someone who does use one.

The Bronco comes with it. If you don’t want it, cool. It’s definitely not necessary.

But it’s totally okay to use or want it. No shame in that.
Of course it's ok if you need or want it.

It is not okay to talk about how "only real drivers drive manual," or "I want a manual so I have total control of the vehicle," and then turn around to use a nanny device because you can't actually drive your manual.

The hypocrisy was my point.

'I'm a real man, I drive a manual, but I need an electronic nanny because I can't drive a manual."

I don't care if people want a pink Barbie Edition Bronco. Drive what you (they) want.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Of course it's ok if you need or want it.

It is not okay to talk about how "only real drivers drive manual," or "I want a manual so I have total control of the vehicle," and then turn around to use a nanny device because you can't actually drive your manual.

The hypocrisy was my point.

'I'm a real man, I drive a manual, but I need an electronic nanny because I can't drive a manual."

I don't care if people want a pink Barbie Edition Bronco. Drive what you (they) want.
I don't have any need for hill start assist in normal driving, though there are a few streets in San Francisco that I could see it coming in handy.

Where hill start assist comes into play is when off-roading. If rolling back even an inch means dropping off the ledge you just made it up, you want every edge you can get. This would normally be a handbrake maneuver, but if I don't have that option, HSA will get it done for me.

Using it in those circumstances in no way de-legitimizes my desire to row my own gears the other 99.99999999999% of the time.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, most hold it long enough to engage the clutch normally but release eventually... our BMW (and Mini before that) do it this way.
Yeah on a rental I found the same. In that case off-road, when the driver might need to use the parking brake for a longer time, or in a way not programmed into the ECU, what are the options for the driver?

And also someone mentioned disabling the electronic brake, but in that case since there is no lever or way to actuate by hand in the Bronco, what option does the driver have?

This lack of manual hand operated e-brake on the manual Bronco concerns me, because the manual brake is something I use in my manual vehicles for various situations.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah on a rental I found the same. In that case off-road, when the driver might need to use the parking brake for a longer time, or in a way not programmed into the ECU, what are the options for the driver?

And also someone mentioned disabling the electronic brake, but in that case since there is no lever or way to actuate by hand in the Bronco, what option does the driver have?

This lack of manual hand operated e-brake on the manual Bronco concerns me, because the manual brake is something I use in my manual vehicles for various situations.
Yeah, that plus the Trail One Pedal Driving almost solidifies the argument that the automatic transmission is the better option for off-roading.

Ford Bronco Electronic parking brake? tenor

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't have any need for hill start assist in normal driving, though there are a few streets in San Francisco that I could see it coming in handy.

Where hill start assist comes into play is when off-roading. If rolling back even an inch means dropping off the ledge you just made it up, you want every edge you can get. This would normally be a handbrake maneuver, but if I don't have that option, HSA will get it done for me.

Using it in those circumstances in no way de-legitimizes my desire to row my own gears the other 99.99999999999% of the time.
I can get down with that line of reasoning.

Offroading a manual presents some interesting challenges that hill start assist could help overcome.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that plus the Trail One Pedal Driving almost solidifies the argument that the automatic transmission is the better option for off-roading.

tenor.gif
let's hope people don't use it like the Tesla AutoPilot

(brick on pedal, feet on dash board, seat in full recline ? )

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

YES!!!!!

And this is for the MT Only.......

We've had threads in the past on this forum discussing what type of E-Brake the Bronco would have and the same comments would come up..... "the electrical e-brake will be fine or work better or hill assist will do that for you..." but the thing is.... I what an EMERGENCY Brake that Does Not Require Some Other Source Of Operation Than ME!

So...... If/When there's an issue within the Electrical System or Wiring Harness how will the E-Brake still be able to function? Will it default to Engaged, so your stuck awaiting a Tow Truck?

How will it function when you need to scrub off some speed while at the same time, one foot is modulating the clutch, the other is modulating the gas and one hand is on the steering wheel?

... I can only guess.... the free hand will the engaging and dis-engaging the Electrical E-Brake. Which I can only imagine that the E-Brake will be Fully Disengaged or Fully Engaged, but it would never truly be able to Modulate the amount of brake being applied......... I need to be able to Modulate it...

Can FoMoCo please provide us the Mode Of Operation for the E-Brake PLEASE!!!

splatrd

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m pretty sure the Bronco is going to get an electronic parking or e-brake. Do we know where the controls are? On the dash or on the center console?

if it’s in the center console, I would be worried about my dog accidentally releasing the parking brake by stepping on the button. I think that’s what happened here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023/this-jeep-wrangler-is-completely-unrecognizable-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket manual parking brake. That is a resto mod I could get behind...

Every vehicle I have or have driven with a modern electronic parking brake requires you to depress the brake pedal in order to release the parking brake. That said, I still prefer a traditional mechanical parking brake.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
YES!!!!!

And this is for the MT Only.......

We've had threads in the past on this forum discussing what type of E-Brake the Bronco would have and the same comments would come up..... "the electrical e-brake will be fine or work better or hill assist will do that for you..." but the thing is.... I what an EMERGENCY Brake that Does Not Require Some Other Source Of Operation Than ME!

So...... If/When there's an issue within the Electrical System or Wiring Harness how will the E-Brake still be able to function? Will it default to Engaged, so your stuck awaiting a Tow Truck?

How will it function when you need to scrub off some speed while at the same time, one foot is modulating the clutch, the other is modulating the gas and one hand is on the steering wheel?

... I can only guess.... the free hand will the engaging and dis-engaging the Electrical E-Brake. Which I can only imagine that the E-Brake will be Fully Disengaged or Fully Engaged, but it would never truly be able to Modulate the amount of brake being applied......... I need to be able to Modulate it...

Can FoMoCo please provide us the Mode Of Operation for the E-Brake PLEASE!!!
I've been doing some general reading on electronic parking brakes. Depending on the implementation, a dead batter could leave the vehicle brakes locked. Working on the rear calipers may require some special tools. The electronic brake may or may not work well while the vehicle is moving.

I think for people who will only drive a manual transmission on pavement, and may occasionally need the electronic brake when starting the vehicle movement on an incline, it will suffice. Reasons given for the electronic brake, are greater flexibility in interior design (not having to accommodate the lever/linkage), and ease of use for less skilled drivers or those with disabilities.

For my part, I happen to use the manual lever brake fairly often, and I'm skeptical the electronic brake will match it's usefulness. I bought a new manual trans car earlier this year, and am happy it has a manual parking brake lever. Will see how the electronic brake functions on the new Bronco ...

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m pretty sure the Bronco is going to get an electronic parking or e-brake. Do we know where the controls are? On the dash or on the center console?

if it’s in the center console, I would be worried about my dog accidentally releasing the parking brake by stepping on the button. I think that’s what happened here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023/this-jeep-wrangler-is-completely-unrecognizable-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket manual parking brake. That is a resto mod I could get behind...

I have a 2018 Mazda 3 6MT and it has an electronic parking break. You have to put your foot on the brake to disengage it when the car is off (or if you have the car in gear and you forgot to take it off, it'll release it automatically if you have your foot on the gas so you don't drive around with the e-brake on). I wouldn't worry about it.

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't get it. All the manual guys love to yell about how they can "really drive," and that autos are for ladies.

However, outside of my first six months driving as a teenager I've literally never needed to do this.

If you guys that are getting a manual need this or hill assist you're lying to yourself.

I disabled this crap on my FiST the first day. Any manual driver worth a damn does not need it.

Might re-enable it when my kid starts driving, but probably not.
I don't need it. I can easily get the car rolling up a hill. But I'm going to roll back a few inches. There's nothing that can be done about that. I also can't control that dick that's behind me with an automatic that is 2 inches from my car in bumper to bumper traffic. It just prevents my car from rolling back into that dick.
Good example is the on ramp from the Harlem River Drive to the George Washington Bridge. Anyone from the tri-state area can tell you, it can be bumper to bumper and it's probably as steep as some trails (taking into account the condition of that road, it might as well be classified as a trail lol).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

winner winner chicken dinner. don't know why this wasn't mentioned in the first page of the thread.

pretty much anything electronic needs some sort of trigger to activate it. just like how you can't change an automatic car from park to drive without hitting the brake and/or the button on the selector. FCA has had recalls for this. My brother has or had it on his ram diesel. something along the lines of when you put the car in park, it might not stay locked in park and could move into neutral/out of gear and car can roll.

"
Recall Number
14V161000
Recall Date
04/01/2014
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 vehicles manufactured January 24, 2014, through February 5, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the transmission case may have been improperly machined which can result in the park pawl not properly engaging when the transmission is in the 'Park' position.

Consequence
If the park pawl does not properly engage, the vehicle may rollaway, increasing the risk of a crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries.
What Owners Should Do
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the transmission, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on May 21, 2014. Owners may contract Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P13.
"
I'd guess you wouldn't just put 'er in park and not pull the handbrake on Black Bear Pass, but maybe this had something to do with it. There are people in my household [clears throat], who insist you never need to pull up the handbrake when driving an automatic because you have park. (That same person is afraid of heights and will never do Black Bear Pass, but probably would feel differently in that situation.)

Also not sure if the same auto is in the Wrangler as in the Ram 1500.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd guess you wouldn't just put 'er in park and not pull the handbrake on Black Bear Pass, but maybe this had something to do with it. There are people in my household [clears throat], who insist you never need to pull up the handbrake when driving an automatic because you have park. (That same person is afraid of heights and will never do Black Bear Pass, but probably would feel differently in that situation.)

Also not sure if the same auto is in the Wrangler as in the Ram 1500.
regarding the recall, it was a whole bunch of FCA vehicles that were affected by it, even minivans.

our volvo puts it on automatically when you turn off the car. my wife and i come from european backgrounds and our families grew up with manual transmissions, so the hand brake was always used. my dad got so confused the first time he had to use a foot style parking brake like what you see in trucks.
Sponsored